Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 73 of 108
13 January 2011 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
jimbo wrote:
polyglHot wrote:
Italian..? Please, that language will stay within it's
borders.

Italian food. Yum!

This makes me laugh, because I visited Ethiopia this summer. After several unsuccessful
attempts by the Italians to colonize Ethiopia, pretty much everything about Italian is
distrusted and hated by many Ethiopians. They never learned the language, resented the
history, and seemed to more or less completely reject Italian culture.

But you can still get pasta anywhere. They kept that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4967 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 74 of 108
13 January 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
The fact I think it would not be French, is simple because in future the economical importance of Europe will drop, Asian countries are currently developing.
If they will reach the European living standard, due to the number of people, they will become more important.
I have nothing to France, but I think Africans are gonna be more African, I don't know.
Especially countries in the East Asia are going to be more Important, due do it's economic growth.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5134 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 75 of 108
13 January 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Key aspects to consider when approaching this subject:

Demographics, past, present and future

Economics, today

Economics, in 2050 as predicted today (grain of salt)

Numbers of speakers, today
1 person has voted this message useful

polyglHot
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4855 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 76 of 108
13 January 2011 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
robsolete wrote:
jimbo wrote:
polyglHot wrote:
Italian..? Please, that language
will stay within it's
borders.

Italian food. Yum!

This makes me laugh, because I visited Ethiopia this summer. After several unsuccessful
attempts by the Italians to colonize Ethiopia, pretty much everything about Italian is
distrusted and hated by many Ethiopians. They never learned the language, resented the
history, and seemed to more or less completely reject Italian culture.

But you can still get pasta anywhere. They kept that.

That's hilarious! I didn't know that about Ethiopia. Only that they are the only
African country that wasn't colonized and that they have great food, not pasta.

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5144 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 77 of 108
14 January 2011 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Judane wrote:
Huliganov wrote:
Judane wrote:

-- What you say about the U.S. debt and China's expansion are both true.

That however doesn't mean you should rush out and learn Chinese.

Our children, perhaps, but not us. At least not for the reasons you imply.

Fine. But if we don't learn it, how are we gonna teach them?

Shouldn't we be setting them an example?

-- "How are we going to teach them?"..."We?"

The technology and resources available today (let alone what is coming in the future) mean that we will not have to hold our children's hands through this.

My daughter lives in the small town of Moorhead, MN, population of roughly 37,000. Next fall they are going to offer Mandarin Chinese as one of the languages in her high school. (Feel free to Google and see for yourself).

I have helped my daughter develop an interest in learning foreign languages by giving brief introductions to each of the three languages I have studied or are studying.

That helped her to "catch the bug" but her desire was to learn Spanish not one of the three languages I am pursuing. She has been soaking it up like a sponge for two years because it is a language she WANTS to learn, not one I think she NEEDS to learn. Motivation is the key.    

She will be enrolling in the Mandarin Chinese course I spoke of, not because of potential economic benefit (most 16 year olds care little about this) but rather because the culture and the language fascinate her.

Huliganov wrote:
Fine. But if we don't learn it, how are we gonna teach them?

Shouldn't we be setting them an example?

-- Are you actually saying that we should set out to become fluent in one of the more difficult languages on earth

- regardless of our interest in that language
- regardless of the years it would take to gain fluency
- regardless of the fact that it time taken from languages we actually WANT to study
- regardless of the fact that many of us will never get to actually use that language

....just to set the example for our children?

I really don't think so.

It's entirely up to you, but I can tell you that my kid is fluent in three and is learning three more at ten years of age.

You don't get that from school. In fact you can't be sure of coming out of school with one single foreign language to usable level.

One very nice way to cripple your children mentally is to rely on others to teach them and not provide an example of lifelong learning and the joy of learning at home.

But like I say, it's up to you. God didn't give me your children to look after, he gave me mine.

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5144 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 78 of 108
14 January 2011 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
robsolete wrote:
Reasons why I disagree with the "Yellow Terror" that has everyone learning Mandarin in
some sort of fear that one day they'll wake up and be locked out of the world economy:
<snip>
China is certainly a growing power, and is certainly "the one to watch" in terms of
economic development. And yes, they own a lot of US debt, but a lot of that serves
them: buying US treasury bonds keeps the yuan artificially low, which encourages
foreign investment. But this situation won't last forever, and as the yuan eventually
rises, the investment will gradually fall. And even if China's GDP does surpass the
United States's, remember that said GDP will be spread over a population four times as
large, which limits the ability of that money to extend influence outside of China,
since most of it will be going to serve domestic, basic needs. So this weird, rabid
fear I see in a lot of people right now is insane and strikes me as vaguely racist: as
if the Chinese are "the Borg" coming to "assimilate" the entire world. It's simply not
true and simply not possible.

Anyway, rant over. Learn Chinese, please do, but not out of fear. Because if that's
your motivation, you won't.

I don't recall anyone writing in fear. I was one of the people who outlined the power of the Chinese economy, but the question was which will be the top languages. The top languages go hand in hand with the top economies because people want to do business, they want to research and be in the vanguard of knowledge. These things are possible with the languages of big economies. China will be the leading economy by 2050 and therefore the reasons why America encouraged everyone to learn English will encourage everyone then to learn Chinese.

I'm not sure that Americans would like to think that it was fear that made people learn English, but rather the admiration of success and the search for opportunities. I believe that Europeans and Americans will be economically migrating to China to find a better life in 2050 and some already are. That's not fear, it's the same motivations that applied to the world's push to learn English during the time of American world leadership in the time from the end of the second world war to the inauguration of Barack Obama.

You get pretty sarcastic about hanzi at one point in your post, there, and seem to believe that alphabets are automatically always going to be better, but have you considered that there is always a chance that people will simply learn, each in their own languages, the hanzi for various ideas and then use that as a kind of written Esperanto around the world which would solve the language problem even among people who never manage to crack into learning languages the way most people here do, but are certainly able to learn a few hundred of the hanzi, even if they use corny, heisig/hoenig style means to do it? If there wasn't something useful about them, they would have been replaced by pinyin and kana. But they weren't - partly because of the levels of homophones in Chinese and Japanese, but not entirely. Korean has fewer homophones, but still they continue their romance with hanzi.

And it is probably only a question of time before input methods like Swype make the use of hanzi in a computer much more efficient than it is today.

4 persons have voted this message useful

dbruggeman
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4861 days ago

14 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 79 of 108
14 January 2011 at 7:02am | IP Logged 

[/QUOTE]

It's entirely up to you, but I can tell you that my kid is fluent in three and is
learning three more at ten years of age.

You don't get that from school. In fact you can't be sure of coming out of school with
one single foreign language to usable level.

One very nice way to cripple your children mentally is to rely on others to teach them
and not provide an example of lifelong learning and the joy of learning at home.

But like I say, it's up to you. God didn't give me your children to look after, he gave
me mine.
[/QUOTE]

This is impressive. What 3 languages does your child already know and what 3 are they
learning?

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4872 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 80 of 108
14 January 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I don't think Americans and Europeans emigrate to China by 2050. Right now China, India, and also Indonesia, are emigrating countries, and the USA have, in contrast, a high immigration rate from Asia and especially China, and so has Japan from China. The main economic immigration countries are the richest countries of today, which still will be the richest countries by 2050. And the USA will stay the top immigration nation by 2050, says UN.
It's the same with most Asian countries as with Europe in the 19th century - industrialization, population growth, pauperism, enormous inequality, reasons for emigration - but with the difference that the Western countries have a much stricter immigration policy than the USA back then. Huliganov, I also think the top languages are the one from the top economies, but also from those countries that are also rich and garantee personal freedom and security (maybe because of this Russian never became really popular). So "admiration of success and the search for opportunities": even a majority of China's (or India's) people does not have that perspective today. If they worked like crazy in Europe or the USA as they have to in China, then that would be an opportunity. And so, I guess, many wish to work and live there. And you also wouldn't have to fear dying while or because of working, getting physically and psychologically totally exhausted of working, or getting shipped into work camps when making use of free speech etc.

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version