Diglot
United States
Joined 4963 days ago

33 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 33 of 108
06 January 2011 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
On another note, I agree with the importance of Russian. It's hard to argue that Russia
is not likely to recover financially and once again become a world power. Important
bureaucratic changes must be made, and monopolies on natural resources must be split,
but all of that is more than likely. In order for the business generation in 2050 to
unanimously speak English, education in English has to start becoming more widespread
almost immediately. Since most of the younger generation really doesn't speak English
(a lot of students are learning, but most don't speak fluently), and since there is not
as big of a desire for Russians in general to learn English, I predict that in 2050 a
good percentage of businessmen will not speak English. This is unfortunate for the
Western world, because Russia has a lot that can be capitalized on, and it's a very
difficult language to learn.

Throughout history, there has been a trend of isolationism in the country, and I really
think Russia's economy is more or less isolated. There is not a lot of foreign
capitalism in Russia in my opinion. Note that all the large industries are owned solely
by Russians (or Ukrainians, etc.) and they're the only ones profiting. Western
enterprise does exist of course, but I don't think the economy at this point in time is
very extroverted. Now I'm not saying that Russia is not dependent on foreign exports,
because they are (take oil for example), but international business development WITHIN
the country itself is not nearly as prominent as in China.

This sounds a bit contradictory, as this might imply that because of the country's
introverted trends, in 2050 it will continue to develop internally only, and not
contribute as much to the world's overall economy. While this is possible, I do believe
that there are transformations taking place in Russia and the former Soviet states that
will eventually make the country more penetrable by the West. That will provide
incentive for learning Russian, especially since there will most likely be more Western
interest in internal Russian development than Russian interest in Western development.

Again, just my opinion.

Edited by SSalvestrini on 06 January 2011 at 2:23am

3 persons have voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6083 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 34 of 108
06 January 2011 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
SSalvestrini wrote:
Yes, I'm interested in the culture of the country,
and in exploring its diversity, but Mandarin is just not economically important to me,
despite doing a lot of business in China. Unfortunately, even if I were to devote the
next five years of my life to Mandarin, my Chinese counterparts woulds still speak
better English in comparison to my Mandarin. Of course, it would show professional
respect to have a stronger grasp on the language, but other languages (like Russian)
are more important to me right now.

I agree, there are more efficient ways to earn a living.

If someone wants to learn Mandarin/Cantonese/Hakka whatever for FUN, I say go for it. If you wind up using one of these languages/"dialects" at work, bonus.

Then again, with all of the modern learning aids available (and various tried and true methods available in electronic format) it really isn't THAT hard. Especially if all you need to do is to be able to get around.
1 person has voted this message useful

SSalvestrini
Diglot
United States
Joined 4963 days ago

33 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 35 of 108
06 January 2011 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
I'm simply going to pick five languages, as 10 is a bit hard, and after 5 it's
basically like drawing languages from a hat pretty much (as just SO much of the
educated world speaks English)!

My projected list:

1.) English.
Sometimes it's even a bit hard for me to motivate myself to learn another language for
anything besides cultural exploration. My profession requires international awareness,
but I find that English is so broadly spoken in politics and economics that I barely
ever need to use Mandarin, or need to use German (actually, I sadly never
use German because everyone in Germany wants to speak English with me). English may not
have the highest number of speakers, but it's unarguably the lingua franca of business
and politics. If the UN were to choose just one language for it's official language, as
has been discussed extensively in the past, it would without a doubt be English. And
actually, it's quite possible that this will happen (it would save a ton of time and
money when it comes to translation- it's strikingly expensive to translate a document
into 6 languages, have it proof read countless times, and be unable to print it until
it's perfect in not only English, but French, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic, and Spanish).

2.) This is a bit trickier, as I can think of many, many arguments as to why it should
not be counted so highly, but I shall say Spanish.
There are countless economic opportunities in Latin and South America that are still
undeveloped. Both of those regions can be considered relatively underdeveloped (or
"third world") and as democratic shifts are being made in those countries, it is likely
that we will see an explosion of economic power (just like in Asia). Incentive will
definitely exist to learn Spanish, just for the sake of business.
On the other hand, as the latino population of the US increases, more and more
Americans are finding it necessary to learn Spanish (which is quite a hot debate here
at the moment). Spanish is taught in all high schools and universities, so the
population of Americans who speak Spanish will naturally increase, especially in the
southern states, which will inherently end up contributing to the economic development
of South and Central America.

3.) French:
If it wasn't for Africa, I would not put French on this list. However, seeing as French
is the official language of much of Africa, and is widely spoken, it is only logical.
It is important to note that I'm considering French from an African standpoint only-
too much of France itself speaks English to really be considered that important
anymore. On the contrary, in many African countries that speak French, citizens know
the latter and perhaps a tribal language. A large percentage do not speak English. I
think that in the next forty years we will see the continent start to develop and some
major shifts towards democratization. Capitalism from the West is a great possibility,
and French will be essential- mainly because there is minimal educational foundations
in these countries, and consequently no opportunities for people to learn English.

4.) Arabic
If one looks at the Arab world, one will notice amazing political and economic change
within the last fifty years. I predict just as much change will occur within the next
fifty. There is a lot of opportunity still, and I think that regions with the most
fiscal potential and the most social/economic stratification will inevitably be
penetrated economically in the next few decades. Aside from the Middle East, look at
Eastern Africa. HUGE development potential, and Arabic is the lingua franca of that
coast (the most important stretch of Eastern Africa).

5.) Russian
[See previous post for a detailed explanation].

I hope that I am not being too narrow minded by over-stressing the importance of
English. But empirically, I honestly do not doubt that it will dominate the political
and economic world of 2050 almost indefinitely.
2 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4967 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 36 of 108
06 January 2011 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
My list:

Swahili - yes! Africa will get rich in the future, and this one can be alternative to European languages in Africa.

Arabic -many speakers, and "oily" economies.

Chinese - don't need to explain.

English - don't need to explain

Indonesian - the number of native speakers can be low, but Indonesia has population similar to that of USA.

Persian - now the country is under Radical Islamic Government, but who knows what will be in the future, the language is also spoken in Afghanistan.

Spanish - Latin America

Portuguese - Brazil

Russian - can be future language of the region.

German - somewhat important language in Europe

No French
The use in Africa may decline due to the influence of Swahili.

Edited by clumsy on 06 January 2011 at 10:24pm

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5823 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 37 of 108
07 January 2011 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
No French

Actually the popularity of French is increasing in Africa; And Portuguese is also becoming more important, for example in Angola, because it serves as a common language between the different tribes and ethnicities. It is no longer the language of the former colonial masters but the native language of many Africans, a languages that unites them and is part of their national identity.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6491 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 38 of 108
08 January 2011 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
1. English
2. Mandarin Chinese
3. Spanish
4. Turkish. I read part of a book in a library that laid out a vision of the next century, including which countries would rise. I didn't buy it (either the book or the entire chain of logic), but it did present an interesting argument for the rise of Turkey.
5. Hindi

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6738 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 39 of 108
08 January 2011 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
clumsy wrote:
No French

Actually the popularity of French is increasing in Africa; And Portuguese is also becoming more important, for example in Angola, because it serves as a common language between the different tribes and ethnicities. It is no longer the language of the former colonial masters but the native language of many Africans, a languages that unites them and is part of their national identity.

Also, is Swahili destined to become such a widespread lingua franca across Africa, like many of us unfamiliar with the region tend to assume? I read here on the forum recently that English also has a strong presence in the region in which Swahili is primarily spoken (roundabouts Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda - all former British colonies). Will the strong presence of English in these regions make Swahili superfluous as a regional lingua franca?

Anyway, here's my projection for 2050.

1. English
2. Spanish
3. Mandarin
- big gap-
4. Arabic
5. Russian
6. French

I put Spanish ahead of Mandarin because it's the common language of many nations and because it's easier to learn for most speakers of the other big languages. For these same reasons I also think Spanish speakers will feel less urgently the need to adopt English as well as the Chinese have.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 08 January 2011 at 10:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dbruggeman
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4861 days ago

14 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 40 of 108
08 January 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
Swahili is a regional language, not one spoken as a first language by very many so I
expect that it will decline.  English in East Africa will be far more useful.

I think there is too much focus on business in these postings. It is unlikely that
international business will be done in language other than English. Many companies
today use English for international business even when working with others for whom
English is not there first language.

I put more focus on travel and population size.

The top 3 I believe everyone is in agreement on. Since few people can learn 10
languages I would actually like to see more debate on positions 4 and 5 in these posts.

My list

1. English
2. Spanish
3. Chinese
gaps
4. Portuguese
5. French
6. German
7. Indonesian
8. Russian
9. Arabic
10. Italian

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version