Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
108 messages over 14 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 13 14 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4919 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 25 of 108
05 January 2011 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
dbruggeman wrote:

Having visited Italy I found no reason to need to learn Italian since everyone spoke
English, the same is occurring all over Europe.

This may be true until you get out of the tourist areas. Will it be more or less true in 40 years? I don't know.

But right now, not everybody speaks English.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6083 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 26 of 108
05 January 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
tritone wrote:
The prospect of being 65 years old in 2050 doesn't sound too inviting,

Consider the alternative.
4 persons have voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5129 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 27 of 108
05 January 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
On a side note, according to a few articles that I read regarding career opportunities in Italy for young people (which include both university graduates and unskilled youth), more and more of them find it difficult to 'launch' their first career in the Italian job market. As a result, many young Italians seek career abroad, which also means, the knowledge of a foreign language (I presume it's English for most cases) is essential for them to get a job abroad. Also, there are quite many Italians working in Zurich, for instance, and usually, the most important language naturally would be German.

What surprises me is, however, it's reported in nytimes that an Italian law graduate who speaks 5 languages and yet unable to find a paying-job in Italy. The articles are as follows:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5481350,00.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/world/europe/02youth.html? _r=1&ref=europe

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 05 January 2011 at 3:32pm

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6083 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 28 of 108
05 January 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
lloydkirk wrote:
. Russia has that in abundance(natural gas, fresh water, minerals, farm land,etc)...

Suggested topics for reading or discussion on another forum.

Inner Mongolia
Outer Mongolia
Inner Manchuria
Outer Manchuria
East Turkestan
Inner Tibet
Outer Tibet

Back on topic for this form:
Russian. Want to learn it. Seems useful and I want to learn languages that don't use the Latin alphabet. (I'm
starting to mix things up since so many languages use the Latin alphabet.)

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5129 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1

Message 29 of 108
05 January 2011 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the suggestions :) I for one would also love to know more about these regions that you proposed!

Fabrizio
Pentaglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4971 days ago

103 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French, SpanishB2, Portuguese

Message 30 of 108
05 January 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
noriyuki_nomura wrote:
On a side note, according to a few articles that I read
regarding career opportunities in Italy for young people (which include both university
graduates and unskilled youth), more and more of them find it difficult to 'launch'
their first career in the Italian job market. As a result, many young Italians seek
career abroad, which also means, the knowledge of a foreign language (I presume
it's English for most cases) is essential for them to get a job abroad. Also, there are
quite many Italians working in Zurich, for instance, and usually, the most important
language naturally would be German.

What surprises me is, however, it's reported in nytimes that an Italian law graduate
who speaks 5 languages and yet unable to find a paying-job in Italy. The articles are
as follows:

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5481350,00.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/world/europe/02youth.html? _r=1&ref=europe

How come that your post doesn't surprise me at all? Italians are generally said to be
not very good at languages - and that's partially true, - but things are slowly
changing. Young university students are usually able to mantain at least a simple
conversation in English, but we're still very far from the language mastery achieved by many other European countries. The truth is that when it comes to judge Italians for
their language abilities, English is usually the only language taken into account. This
is deeply wrong as we are, for example, generally pretty good at Spanish and French
(but nobody seems to notice it). English remains certainly a must - and we're
unfortunately still struggling with it, - but I honestly believe we're now moving in
the right direction.
As for the young Italian law graduate who speaks 5 languages and yet unable to find a
paying-job in Italy, well... guys, we don't certainly have a meritocracy system here
(and I'm not sure of being in a real democracy either.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5129 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 

Message 31 of 108
05 January 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Hi Fabrizio,

I understand what you meant...as a matter of fact, during my vacation in Italy (I travel pretty often to Italy for over the weekend since it's one of my favourite places to visit) and have often come across a good number of Italians who could speak French and Spanish pretty well, not to mention some English upon seeing Asian tourists like me 'exploring' their beautiful country :)

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 05 January 2011 at 11:05pm

SSalvestrini
Diglot
United States
Joined 4963 days ago

33 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 32 of 108
06 January 2011 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
This has been a very interesting discussion! I must say, however, that apparently
unlike everyone who has posted thus far, I am not of the opinion that Mandarin should
be ranked so highly. In terms of total speakers, yes, Mandarin will be in the top three
I'd assume. However, I doubt it will be important economically. First, all university
students are more or less required to learn English (even though many of them end up
not needing it). Second, the younger business generation have all graduated from
university, and those that deal internationally speak English very, very well (not all,
but for the most part). Third, Mandarin has very little reach, so to speak. It's spoken
primarily in China, Taiwan, and Singapore, that's it. Granted, all of the latter have
great economies (and Singapore is a huge hub of international business in Asia), but
the businessmen in all three respective countries speak English! Due to a high
population in China, and hundreds thousands of unemployed grad students, competition
for any far reaching business positions (meaning, positions involving international
trading and whatnot) is unbelievable, and complete fluency in English is basically a
prerequisite. When I was in China this summer I could not have gotten by without an
extensive knowledge of Mandarin, but that's solely because I spent my time away from
the economic zones of the country and explored the culture. I did, however, spend a lot
of time in Shanghai and most people in the business district speak English (which is
why foreigners in China do not learn Mandarin). A final point: again, due to the high
turnout of educated people, there are thousands of grad students who would be more than
happy to find employment as a translator for English speakers. A friend of mine who
lives in China not only has a personal chef (who speaks English), but a personal
translator who also, obviously, speaks English.

So in short, I must confess. As much as I would love to continue learning Mandarin, I
have stopped because of the above. Yes, I'm interested in the culture of the country,
and in exploring its diversity, but Mandarin is just not economically important to me,
despite doing a lot of business in China. Unfortunately, even if I were to devote the
next five years of my life to Mandarin, my Chinese counterparts woulds still speak
better English in comparison to my Mandarin. Of course, it would show professional
respect to have a stronger grasp on the language, but other languages (like Russian)
are more important to me right now.

Note: some may argue that, on the contrary to what I'm saying, a lot of Chinese
businessmen are just now learning English and do not have that great of a grasp on the
language. While I disagree with this, it is still important to note that we're talking
2050. If China's education system improves just slightly, the number of English
speakers will increase substantially. As I said, all university students learn English,
and if more people go to college (it either becomes cheaper, or wealth begins to be
more equally distributed), you will not be able to obtain a business position in China
that involves the West in any way without knowing English.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version