Brazil
Joined 4870 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 97 of 108
08 March 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
dbruggeman wrote:
In reading these posts I see some different opinions on the priority of Portuguese vs
French. I agree with the original poster that Portuguese is more important than French.
French is on the decline while Portuguese is on the rise.

There are more Portuguese speakers today and Brazil will likely overtake France in the
size of its economy by 2030.

Plus you can speak Portuguese without being criticized for your poor accent.

Plus, Portuguese is closer to Spanish (like 75-80%). If you know Spanish you can get around in Brazil. Some Spanish speakers live in Brazil for years without learning Portuguese.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4889 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 98 of 108
08 March 2011 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:

Plus, Portuguese is closer to Spanish (like 75-80%). If you know Spanish you can get around in Brazil. Some Spanish speakers live in Brazil for years without learning Portuguese.

Then why bother with Portuguese?

No, that's not a serious question, but I suspect that things may continue as they are with Spanish being the more dominant of the two because after all you can get way with it.
1 person has voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 99 of 108
09 March 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Maks wrote:
TOP 100 RANG LANGUAGES:
http://www.translated.net/en/languages-that-matter

This might just be the holy grail of language rankings that I have been searching for all
these years.

Mozart D. L.
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Italian

Message 100 of 108
09 March 2011 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Hi!

I really enjoyed this thread! Very great! I only want to advise you to give attention to the this event: if people get culture, they can get interest for other things. I want to say that many people will feel desire for learning some languages. As example, I know some guys who like and are learn languages to acquire cultural knowlegde, like French and Japanese. This could be a good point to consider.

Mozart D. L.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 101 of 108
17 May 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
See another (short) thread about the theme here

Mad Max
Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4840 days ago

79 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Russian
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 102 of 108
30 May 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I think that English, Spanish and Chinese will be on the top. I read an report from Bank of Santander and other reports. These 3 languages will have more or less the same importance in 2020-2030, but the most spoken of them will be Spanish by 2045-2050.

Another group will be Arabic, Hindi-Urdu and Portuguese. Interesting and important languages in the future.

Finally, Russian, French, German and Japanese will finish the list. The last four will be less spoken due to demographic factors.

Fiveonefive
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 5482 days ago

69 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Swedish

Message 103 of 108
01 June 2011 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
I think Japanese will remain on the list because it is such a highly developed country whose people really suck at learning English.

Same situation with Korean but add the ongoing importance of the Korean conflict.

larryfeltonj
United States
otbeatenpath.blogspo
Joined 4713 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 104 of 108
02 June 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
dagojr wrote:
Just like the title says. What do you think will be the top 10 languages in 2050?

Wow! This is a long running thread!

I have a goal of learning all six official languages of the UN before I die, and I think those six (English, Han Chinese, Spanish, French, Arabic, and Russian) will continue to be ranked highly by 2050. If current political and economic trends continue German, Farsi, Hindi, Portuguese, Japanese, and Korean would all be good to know. The truth is, though, we can only base any such guess on population trends and current politics. For all I know Malay, Hausa, or Finnish might be very important languages by 2050 for unforeseen political or economic reasons.

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version