158 messages over 20 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 19 20 Next >>
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 129 of 158
08 November 2010 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Jinx wrote:
I wish they had more specific terms than "Intermediate," but overall I'm satisfied.

I've taken these tests before and gotten nearly perfect scores (for Spanish or Portuguese I think) but I also got "Intermediate." I think that that is the highest level that they give you, because afterwards I went back to change my incorrect answers to see what it would have awarded me had I gotten a perfect score and it still said "Intermediate." A bit annoying, in my opinion...

Yes, I think you're right about it not going above "Intermediate" – I guess the test wasn't made to measure anything higher than that. I really like the format of these particular tests, but I just wish they would incorporate the CEFR ratings for the results.

NorseRonin wrote:
gosh darn.......... heck! lol, I got only 86 out of the 150 questions, and therefore a beginner as I suspected. After 7 months of fairly hard studying that is a little nerve racking, but I will study even harder.

Funny enough, my grammar sucks (real bad) but my reading comprehension was flawless, and my vocabulary was almost as good. I guess that's the price for not focusing on grammar and relying mostly on just "feeling" the language out while reading and not paying attention to the cases and all that. Since my comprehension is good, I will focus on grammar intensely.

thanks for the link to that site, now I know what I need to work on :D

You're welcome, NorseRonin, glad it helped you! Don't worry, I think the selling point of these particular tests is exactly the fact that they're so hard. They really work your brain. I agree that the aspect of splitting each test into several categories is helpful; I, like you, did much better on reading than on grammar! Were you doing the German test too? They definitely included some pretty advanced language in that part, I found.
1 person has voted this message useful

NorseRonin
Pro Member
United States
youtube.com/user/NorRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5089 days ago

47 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Icelandic
Personal Language Map

Message 130 of 158
09 November 2010 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Yes, I did the German one as well. I'm glad to know that it was difficult to begin with, and it wasn't just me. Since
I've been studying for roughly 7 months, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to aim for basic fluency in another 7
months, but I know I need to push even harder for that. I, like everyone else, find it extremely frustrating that I can
understand text pretty well (speech to an extent), but cannot form anything above basic sentences, but right from
the start I know that the more difficult it is the better I'll feel once I'm fluent :P

At any rate, I know what to do, it's just a matter of not getting distracted and study, which is obviously easier said
than done.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 131 of 158
09 November 2010 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
I think German has a particularly large gap between comprehensibility and speakability (at least for me), mostly due to the cases, genders, and word order. Those things were big stumbling blocks for me at the beginning. Getting lots of input so I could hear all these things used in everyday language was the last bit I needed to really push myself over the edge into basic fluency. I still use the wrong gender all the time, though – that's a real bête-noire of mine. Anyway, good luck with all your studies! Do you have a log here in the forum?
2 persons have voted this message useful

NorseRonin
Pro Member
United States
youtube.com/user/NorRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5089 days ago

47 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Icelandic
Personal Language Map

Message 133 of 158
10 November 2010 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
I think German has a particularly large gap between comprehensibility and speakability (at least
for
me), mostly due to the cases, genders, and word order. Those things were big stumbling blocks for me at the
beginning. Getting lots of input so I could hear all these things used in everyday language was the last bit I
needed
to really push myself over the edge into basic fluency. I still use the wrong gender all the time, though – that's a
real bête-noire of mine. Anyway, good luck with all your studies! Do you have a log here in the forum?

Yes, for the reasons you mentioned I'm amazed that anyone can speak the language with any speed lol. Yeah,
the whole gender thing is a big problem for me as well.

And yes, I have a log :) it's not as impressive as yours though, and I tend to ramble and not stick to any one
method/material so be warned :P

edit: hmm, I can't seem to hyperlink my Log. I guess you have to click on my name and then simply go to where
it says "Logbook" next to "Posts".

Edited by NorseRonin on 10 November 2010 at 5:31am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 134 of 158
10 November 2010 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
I think German has a particularly large gap between comprehensibility and speakability (at least for me), mostly due to the cases, genders, and word order. Those things were big stumbling blocks for me at the beginning. Getting lots of input so I could hear all these things used in everyday language was the last bit I needed to really push myself over the edge into basic fluency. I still use the wrong gender all the time, though – that's a real bête-noire of mine.

I totally agree. I can understand so much more of what I read and hear in German, and can even write well, but every time I try to speak at length I am horrified at my mangling of the language. My German teacher was talking to me for a bit in front of the class today and I just could not get anything out right! Maybe it was partly because I hate talking in front of other people, but still. It's quite annoying because I can easily keep up with the reading and analysis and such which we do in the class, but I feel like I'm just so inhibited when it comes to speaking -- especially with three out of eleven students having German as their native or secondary-native language, and with two more who have just done exchange programs in German-speaking countries (and thus speak extremely well too). Ugh. Well, "Übung macht den Meister."

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 135 of 158
11 November 2010 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
@NorseRonin: Cool, I'm bookmarking your log to check out soon.

@ellasevia: Yup, I was stuck in that phase for about two years, and still am not entirely out of it. Germans consistently compliment my German, but if I try to say anything beyond simple colloquial conversation-type talk (e.g. analysing literature in my German lit class), it always comes out *extremely* rough to my ears, with lots of inexact vocabulary, incorrect genders, and overall lack of eloquent expression. Wow, I sound like a teacher grading myself... but it's true! Oh well, your last sentence says it all: we just need to get as much practice as possible, I guess.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 136 of 158
11 November 2010 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
*ENTRY 125* (7 November 2010)

FRENCH
     30 minutes: watched FiA 15 (Occupations I).
     15 minutes: took an online French test (got a score of 91%).
     25 minutes: did Assimil lessons 25 & 26.
     10 minutes: reviewed vocab on WordChamp.
French total: 80 minutes

GERMAN
     10 minutes: read aloud some poetry.
     15 minutes: took an online German test (got a score of 95%).
German total: 25 minutes

MANDARIN (hanzi known: 88)
     40 minutes: practiced writing hanzi.
     30 minutes: reviewed MTMF disc 3 tracks 1-4.
Mandarin total: 70 minutes

ESPERANTO
     5 minutes: read word of the day email.
Esperanto total: 5 minutes

TOTAL STUDY TODAY: 180 minutes (3h00)

OTHER
     40 minutes: did Cortina Italian lesson 2.

This discussion contains 158 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version