158 messages over 20 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 ... 19 20 Next >>
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5510 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 137 of 158
11 November 2010 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
*ENTRY 126* (8 November 2010)

FRENCH
     20 minutes: did Assimil lessons 57 (first wave = W1) and 1 (W2).
     30 minutes: watched FiA 16 (Occupations II).
     80 minutes: French class.
French total: 130 minutes

GERMAN
     20 minutes: read some of "Die Judenbuche" by Annette von Droste-Hülshoff.
German total: 20 minutes

MANDARIN (hanzi known: 88)
     15 minutes: studied beginning of Living Language (LL) course, did pronunciation exercises.
     20 minutes: practiced writing hanzi.
Mandarin total: 35 minutes

ESPERANTO
     10 minutes: intensively studied word of the day.
Esperanto total: 10 minutes

TOTAL STUDY TODAY: 195 minutes (3h15)

Edited by Jinx on 22 November 2010 at 3:47am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5510 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 138 of 158
11 November 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
*ENTRY 127* (9 November 2010)

FRENCH
     30 minutes: translated two short texts for homework (both directions).
     20 minutes: did Assimil lessons 58 (W1) and 2 (W2).
     30 minutes: watched FiA 17 (Occupations III).
     10 minutes: reviewed vocab in Anki.
French total: 90 minutes

GERMAN
     40 minutes: wrote a short essay in German.
German total: 40 minutes

10 minutes: practiced writing hanzi from memory.
     10 minutes: reviewed radicals in Anki.
Mandarin total: 20 minutes

ESPERANTO

TOTAL STUDY TODAY: 160 minutes (2h40)

Edited by Jinx on 22 November 2010 at 3:46am

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5510 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 139 of 158
11 November 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
10 November 2010

Reflections at this juncture

Right now, my French studies are going really well. I've settled into a daily routine of watching one French in Action episode and doing one Assimil lesson – or rather, two, since I've just started the second wave. The second wave is AWESOME. All through the first 55 lessons, I could just barely muster up the motivation to keep going. But now, I'm only on the third lesson of the second wave, and I'm so enthused about it that it's hard to keep myself from doing more than one lesson in each wave every day. It's amazing how effective it is, the simple act of returning to this material which I remember so well and translating it/writing it out from memory. Due to this new regularity and enjoyment in my studies, I had more confidence than ever in my French tutorial today, and spoke quite acceptably. Then I went to dinner with some friends (one from Germany, one from Austria, and one from Singapore) and we all just spoke German, like a Stammtisch. It was awesome.

My Mandarin is still going ve-e-e-ery slowly… but that's just as I planned, so I feel good about it too! My character recognition count creeps up, sometimes falls again when I don't review enough, but basically is always on the slow but steady increase. My handwriting has gotten much better, and I really enjoy writing out the characters. My favorite one to write is 书 (book) – I just think it's lovely. I'm also learning to say longer and longer sentences from Harold Goodman (on the MT discs)! The only problem there is that I've fallen a little behind on learning the character for each new word he teaches, which was being a useful system for me. Maybe this weekend I can re-listen to the most recent MT tracks and do a character-learning blitz.

Studying on the computer is okay, but there's something about the feeling of working my way through a solid old-fashioned physical book that can't be beat, especially when it comes to language study. A couple of days ago I was no longer unable to resist the lust to dive into one of my newly-arrived Cortina books, as a break from computer study (I get so sick of staring at a screen all day). I recently ordered Cortina Japanese, Greek, Russian, and Italian. Since I'm not (yet) entirely insane, I sensibly picked the Italian one to sate my thirst for paper-book studying. This was sensible not only because Italian is much easier than those other languages, but also because I did spend almost a whole year studying it (about two years ago – not counting my sporadic attempts while in Germany this past year), so I might as well pick it up and brush it off and try to continue from where I left off, somewhere after the end of Pimsleur and in the middle of TY.

Another pressing reason to return to my long-abandoned Italian studies is the fact that I need to move on to Portuguese and then Spanish soon, and I think it could be hazardous to abandon my Italian at its current advanced-beginner level and turn to these other similar-feeling languages. I already find the sounds of Italian and Spanish dangerously close. So, I think that the most sensible thing to do is to carry on with my Italian until I can leave it to fend for itself at a solid intermediate level (hopefully by the end of next year, although I make no promises), before jumping into Portuguese, both feet first.

Unfortunately, language-lust never hits me halfway. My recently renewed urge to vastly improve and start actively using my Esperanto hasn't shown any signs of abating, and I can't wait until I have the free time (maybe over winter break?) to return to TY Esperanto and hopefully finish it up. Esperanto's not all, though; I also want to finish reviewing that toki pona course, and practice toki pona until I can actually toki it pona, dammit.

So many wants! So many wishes! I tried to read the "Vikipedya" in Vlax Romani this evening, and immediately felt a senseless urge to learn that language. Just think of being able to casually say "Yeah, I speak Romani. Vlax Romani, to be specific."

I have to stop writing now, though, because I still have a lesson of Cortina Italian and an episode of French in Action to watch before bed, and I need to get up early tomorrow to translate a few pages of German before class. It's a linguaphile's life.

P.S. Edit: I took this French test today and got the result "Intermediate 2," which I think corresponds to B1. That feels about right.

Edited by Jinx on 11 November 2010 at 6:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ummagumma
IrelandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5073 days ago

217 posts - 241 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 140 of 158
21 November 2010 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Hi Jinx, fair play on your language learning. Just to say I enjoy looking up you log and
see how you're getting on. Keep up the good work!

All the best
P

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5510 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 141 of 158
21 November 2010 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
ummagumma wrote:
Hi Jinx, fair play on your language learning. Just to say I enjoy looking up you log and
see how you're getting on. Keep up the good work!

All the best
P

Hi ummagumma, thanks for posting – that was just the kick in the butt I needed to get back to posting my own updates, which I've fallen shamefully behind in doing! I'm glad you're liking the log, thanks for reading. :)

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5510 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 142 of 158
21 November 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
*ENTRY 128* (10 November 2010)

FRENCH
     80 minutes: French class.
     60 minutes: French tutorial.
     20 minutes: did Assimil lessons 59 (W1) and 3 (W2).
     30 minutes: watched FiA 18 (Occupations IV).
French total: 190 minutes

GERMAN
     40 minutes: spoke only German at dinner with friends.
     30 minutes: read aloud a six-page article in German.
German total: 70 minutes

Mandarin total: 0 minutes

ESPERANTO
Esperanto total: 0 minutes

TOTAL STUDY TODAY: 260 minutes (4h20)

OTHER
     40 minutes: did Cortina Italian lesson 3.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5510 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 143 of 158
21 November 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
*ENTRY 129* (11 November 2010)

FRENCH
     20 minutes: did Assimil lessons 60 (W1) and 4 (W2).
     5 minutes: reviewed vocab in Anki.
     30 minutes: watched FiA 19 (Education I).
     10 minutes: practiced talking to myself in French.
French total: 65 minutes

GERMAN
     12 minutes: listened to a couple of German podcasts.
     5 minutes: reviewed vocab in Anki.
     60 minutes: German class (normally 80 minutes; he let us out early and didn't notice).
     15 minutes: watched/listened/sang along to German music videos.
German total: 92 minutes

15 minutes: practiced writing sentences with the characters I know.
Mandarin total: 15 minutes

ESPERANTO

TOTAL STUDY TODAY: 182 minutes (3h02)

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5510 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 144 of 158
21 November 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
*ENTRY 130* (12 November 2010)

FRENCH
     20 minutes: did Assimil lessons 61 (W1) and 5 (W2).
     5 minutes: re-listened to Assimil lessons 57-61.
French total: 25 minutes

GERMAN
     70 minutes: watched episodes 3726, 3729 and 3730 of a German TV show, "Verbotene Liebe" (cheesy but gripping!).
German total: 70 minutes

Mandarin total: 0 minutes

ESPERANTO
Esperanto total: 0 minutes

TOTAL STUDY TODAY: 95 minutes (1h35)

This discussion contains 158 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version