397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 153 of 185
08 September 2010 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
365 glorious days.

636 glorious posts.

306 well-deserved votes!

Happy Forumday!! (good word darkwhispersdal)

I actually think I'm going to celebrate this with a little cuppa right now. Take care :)

Edited by M. Medialis on 08 September 2010 at 8:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 154 of 185
09 September 2010 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Many thanks! I celebrated in polyglot-wannabe style with a Kalter Hund (German cake), Kin-Dza-Dza (crazy Russian comedy), and lashings of Tinto de Verano (poor man's sangria). :P

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 155 of 185
19 September 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Teango, has your condition gotten any better? I'm sure you're very anxious to begin studying again. I really hope that you get better soon!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 156 of 185
20 September 2010 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
PROGRESS UPDATE, BRINGING UP THE WEEKS 30-37/52 OF THE 2010 TAC CHALLENGE

SUMMARY SO FAR THIS YEAR (CEF grades are just estimates)

German (B1 to B2/C1):
Total active study so far: 133 hours
Total background media: 181 hours
Total study + immersion: 314 hours

Spanish (A0 to B1):
Total active study so far: 185 hours
Total background media: 46 hours
Total study + immersion: 231 hours

Russian (A2):
Total active study so far: 30 hours
Total background media: 8 hours
Total study + immersion: 38 hours

WANDERLUST CONFESSION BOX

Forgive me readers, for I have sinned...it's at least a couple of months since my last confession (or any real language study, for that matter). Whilst I was away: 113 expired kanji, a couple of wanderdreams to learn Hungarian and/or Swahili, and lots of language oxidisation.

TEANGO’S WORD/PHRASE OF THE WEEK

der Packesel (pack mule) - a little party/drinking game I bought last week involving the immense mental challenge of balancing sticks on a wooden mule. Kasparov eat your heart out! My findings so far...there seems to be a marked correlation between alcohol consumption and success rate.

NOTES

I'm finally back (well, almost)! The last couple of months have been a real trial, beset with ongoing health problems, job hunting, travel arrangements, and organising my prodigal return to England. However, after my trip to visit family in Ireland last month, I have returned with brighter perspective. Everyone we met on the way was so unbelievably sunny and relaxed, despite the more than occasional spot of rain, as well as so kind and friendly to us. In particular, my stay in the stunningly beautiful mountains of Killarney was a real breath of fresh air all round, and I hope I've taken a little sparkle of this back with me.

I expect to be returning to Old Blighty by the end of October, and will be spending this next week driving around the leafier suburbs of London in search of flats I know I can't really afford. However, never one to give up in the face of adversity, a quickening of pace, or a Slim-Fast dieting of the wallet, I am going to try my damnedest to pick up the language learning gauntlet upon my return. Even if this means living out of a suitcase in some dusty B&B and sneaking in a camping grill for the time being, my eyes are still firmly set on the prize of reaching my TAC goals, and hopefully by the end of this year with any massive stroke of luck.

So how do I plan to get back into the swing of things with my health still very poor and feeling unmotivated to do any language study with all this going on? Well, as you can imagine, the language garden has first of all gone to pot whilst I was away, so my initial green-fingered call to duty will be a lot of weeding and tidying up of German and Spanish. Once these are in better order, I hope to return to my little plot of "Rushing Russian", to till the soil once again and finish sowing what I started. With any luck, I'll defy Mother Nature herself, and have all three TAC languages blooming by Christmas. I know, I'm a little over-ambitious here, and I'm advised by doctors and friends that this would be impossible given my current state of health and having to find a new job and place to live on top of this too; but I always was stubborn when in comes to "verbotens" and "impossibles", since knee-high to a grasshopper. So I still hope, probably naively, for something amazing from sheer will-power alone. ;)

But before I hastily break into the garden shed and grab my linguistic secateurs and trowels, I have a special little project in mind to get me motivated and back in the mood: Swedish study-and-click. The main purpose here is to try and get me back into the habit and routine of language learning by focusing initially on something brand new and shiny. And God knows, I've tried to shelve studying this brilliant language for almost a year anyway. So I've finally caved in to inner pressure and will be giving Swedish a shot in a short experimental log ("Dreams of Valhalla") very soon - hope to see you there!

Thanks once again to everyone for the ongoing support and patience, with whose help and kind words, I'm happy to announce I'll soon be back on the playing field ready to pitch again. :)

Edited by Teango on 26 December 2010 at 5:21pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 157 of 185
20 September 2010 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Teango, has your condition gotten any better? I'm sure you're very anxious to begin studying again. I really hope that you get better soon!

Gracias, ellasevia. And an appreciative shout-out to Medialis, darkwhispersdal and Buttons here recently, as well as all the kind messages and posts on my Rushing Russian log too. To be honest, I'm currently experiencing a lot of overall pain and fever, which is thoroughly exhausting each day, but I'm a great believer in mind over matter (not in any Uri Geller's spoons type of way though). The tinnitus didn't go away either, incidentally, but I'm learning to cope with it much better now by simply focusing elsewhere and not letting it bother me as much anymore. And you're right. I am really quite anxious about starting my studies again after some substantial absence, but I'm looking forward even more to getting back on that language learning wagon and hitting some sweet Swedish after my return next week. If I had the forum facilities, you know I'd send you all a slice of pre-Christmas stollen from my local German bakery on the corner as a token of my appreciation for all your support so far. Oh, the limitations of technology in the 21st century, we can only but wait in hope for the day! :P

Edited by Teango on 20 September 2010 at 8:18am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 158 of 185
30 September 2010 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
PROGRESS UPDATE, WEEK 38/52 OF THE 2010 TAC CHALLENGE

Just a brief update today to let you know everything's on track so far. Since returning to Germany last weekend, I've been thoroughly preoccupied with making arrangements to move lock, stock and barrel back to England. I've also started putting together the materials I'll need for my Swedish log that starts tomorrow, and have enough now to at least get started. It's going to be strange hitting the language learning trail again after such a considerable absence, but I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of things soon enough.

Edited by Teango on 10 October 2010 at 7:24pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 159 of 185
10 October 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
PROGRESS IN SWEDISH, WEEKS 39-40/52 OF THE 2010 TAC CHALLENGE

SUMMARY

Active study over the last 10 days: 40 hours' study-and-click

WANDERLUST CONFESSION BOX

Not much time for anything but relocating and learning Swedish at the moment. So I've been exceptionally well-behaved this week. ;)

TEANGO’S WORD/PHRASE OF THE WEEK

"Allhelgona helgen" (Halloween, Samhain) - it's almost time to start elbowing your way to the plumpest pumpkins and get ready for the usual ghoulishness on the streets after pub hours on Miggy Night. What I like most about this word in Swedish, however, is that although it simply means something like "all hallows weekend", it also ironically manages to conjure up the idea of "all Hell going to Hell" during this mischievous Celtic celebration. Swedish just rocks! }:-)>

NOTES

My Swedish project "Dreams of Valhalla" is going really well, and I've already completed my primary goal of reaching 90% reading scores for 3 consecutive days. In just a week, I've gone from knowing almost zip to being able to understand most of what I read, and I also find that I'm picking up so much more when I listen to a bit of Swedish TV or random clips on YouTube for fun.

Next week is going to be crazy busy, as I'm moving out of my flat and into a hotel on Friday, with a view to hopefully relocating back to England within the next 10 days. So as you can imagine, there's a lot that needs doing before I get on that plane and start dreaming of bacon sarnies and roast dinners again.

However, I'll try my best to fit in as many hours of Swedish as I realistically can, and strive for my secondary goal of reaching 95% in reading scores over the next couple of weeks. So far, I'm really happy with my study-and-click method, and uncharacteristically, haven't made any amendments or started experimenting either.

Edited by Teango on 10 October 2010 at 8:51pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 160 of 185
10 October 2010 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
So I've been exceptionally well-behaved this week.

Hmmm . . . really? That's not good. Make sure to catch up with the badness when you get resettled!

What is a "bacon sarnie"? I have never heard of it. But you probably never heard of "Chicken Bog," right? It's very popular here!

Good luck with your move - this is no fun whatsoever. As you know, I had to relocate this year as well. I hated it, every part of it, and most of my stuff is still back in New Jersey!

You Swedish project is progressing wonderfully! The language has an interesting sound. I had not though much about it but I listen to some audio. Not for me now, too busy, bu maybe one day!

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version