teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 169 of 185
13 November 2010 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
How do you feel you did with your original goals, considering you added a few others to the mix?

At first I was tempted to just say "could have done better" here and ready to beat myself up over general poor performance in reaching all my original goals this year.

But then I realised something important: This has been my best year of language learning, probably ever! No more theories simply on paper, nor learning about learning languages ad nauseam; but a year of real study, experiments and immersion, with at least 700 hours under my belt so far.

German actually turned out to be a success early on in the year, French was temporarily shelved due to an unforeseeable change in plans (but it's far from forgotten), and there's still time left (even now) for going crazy on Russian in the weeks ahead before Christmas.

And yes, adding Spanish and Swedish to the mix along the way has proven to be two of the best unorthodox decisions I've made this year too. Not only are they just amazing and utterly enriching languages to learn in their own right, but most importantly, they've helped me stick in there, keep it creative when the chips were down, and ride out the rodeo with each new challenge and unseen chapter.

And now here comes the sprint of a runner who's stumbled but not down...who has yet to give up the hope of reaching two out of three goals in the final furlong...yes, pass me the pryaniki, it's headlong to Mother Russia or bust for me now!

DaraghM wrote:
How hard do you feel it is to predict a year's language study in advance?

In the immortal words of Will Ferris, it's "as hard as a diamond in an ice storm"! ;)

Edited by Teango on 13 November 2010 at 1:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6168 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 170 of 185
13 November 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
At first I was tempted to just say "could have done better" here and ready to beat myself up over general poor performance in reaching all my original goals this year.

But then I realised something important: This has been my best year of language learning, probably ever! No more theories simply on paper, nor learning about learning languages ad nauseam; but a year of real study, experiments and immersion, with at least 700 hours under my belt so far.

Yes! I am personally deeply impressed by your progress this year. A true inspiration!

So let's sprint towards the New Year, and when we pass the finish, let's go for another lap.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 171 of 185
14 November 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
@Medialis
Tack bror! Och jag kan säga detsamma om dig. Du har varit en fantastisk lagkamrat och inspiration i år. Jag kan fortfarande inte tro att du lyckats avsluta alla dessa kanji - så cool!

And just under 6 weeks to go till Christmas...wow, the year's gone by so quickly. So let's open a few more kegs of LR, throw some Scriptorium shashlik on the barbie, and get this party started... ;)

Edited by Teango on 15 November 2010 at 3:00am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 173 of 185
26 November 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Of course...it wouldn't be a party without you...you're bringing the flashcards and tinnies (old slang version)! :D

Edited by Teango on 26 November 2010 at 10:24pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 174 of 185
27 November 2010 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
INTERMISSION, WEEKS 43-47/52 OF THE 2010 TAC CHALLENGE

SUMMARY

With all the craziness surrounding my move, I haven't really had much time to keep track of study. Don't fret though, I've been keeping the polyglot pot simmering with a seasoning of Swedish and a sprinkle of Spanish every now and again, and am excitedly poised to re-engage in Russian starting Monday.

WANDERLUST CONFESSION BOX

Weeks of wandering, but little of the language kind. Some recent language wish lists posted here on the forum did get me pleasantly daydreaming again though.

TEANGO’S CLIP OF THE WEEK

Rather than offer up a fancy foreign phrase, here's a German weather forecast video from RTL instead...a sunny tonic on an otherwise snowbound day.

NOTES

My journey back to Ol' Blighty (small lingo-nerdy note here: "Blighty" turns out to be an Anglo-Indian alteration of the Urdu word bilāyatī, ironically meaning "foreign") didn't quite end at the airport and line of fuming black cabs. No indeed, this seems to have only marked the beginning of a whole new chapter of trials to secure a house and home, leaving me to hop between temporary apartments like a nomadic winter flea whilst I sort everything out.

In the meanwhile, I've learned to read a bit of Swedish, touched base with Spanish on the road, and for some bizarre reason, I've been dreaming a lot in German lately too (must be the pilsner withdrawal).

Now I'm locked and ready to reload in Russian, and am looking forward to continuing from where I left off in my log "Rushing Russian" back in the hazy, crazy but not so lazy days of July (with the appropriate name change: "Russian Reloaded"). These final weeks of the year's Challenge are likely to be tough, especially with moving into my new home next week and Christmas fast-approaching, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll turn out to be some of the most rewarding and enlightening so far.

Edited by Teango on 27 November 2010 at 7:46am

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6168 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 175 of 185
27 November 2010 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Buttons wrote:
Hey can anyone join this LR and scriptorum barbie?

With it threatening snow outside at the moment, I would be rather happy with thoughts of barbie, sunshine and some chums to talk to in my target languages ;0)

Absolutely!! Welcome to the Jolly Team of Endless Dreams!

Teango wrote:
TEANGO’S CLIP OF THE WEEK

Rather than offer up a fancy foreign phrase, here's a German weather forecast video from RTL instead...a sunny tonic on an otherwise snowbound day.

..And is there any chance we can get this weather lady to join the barbie as well? ;D

Teango wrote:
Now I'm locked and ready to reload in Russian, and am looking forward to continuing from where I left off in my log "Rushing Russian" back in the hazy, crazy but not so lazy days of July (with the appropriate name change: "Russian Reloaded"). These final weeks of the year's Challenge are likely to be tough, especially with moving into my new home next week and Christmas fast-approaching, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll turn out to be some of the most rewarding and enlightening so far.

Looking forward to it! If it gets tough, I'd suggest you picture yourself as one of those old Плотники (timberman), carrying timber through the woods in the cold, windy and snowy Russian winter. Sounds too tough, eh? -But I can assure you that our Плотник is happy in his heart - For he can see the warm light shining from his house - reminding him of the upcoming Christmas and his dear LR collection.

Lol. Sorry, couldn't help myself.. ;)

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 176 of 185
28 November 2010 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
You are being too self-critical - you have had a fantastic language learning year! But I often feel the same way, and think about all I have not done instead of what I have learned.

You even devised your own effective learning method and that's no small accomplishment. It wouldn't work for me, though. You know what would happen . . . click click click click click click click click, etc. Study? too busy clicking click click click click . . . .

Well, I have to agree that weather is an extremely funny subject, but it gets better than that: "Bündnerfleisch"!

Here is the Swiss Finance Minister having a laugh attack in Parliament. He's trying so hard to talk about meat regulation, but who can talk about that with a straight face?

Lachanfall in der Schweiz

He speaks very clearly in between giggle fits, though! Wonder why he just lost it when he got to "zum Beispiel"?

Edited by meramarina on 28 November 2010 at 4:38am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version