TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6177 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 41 of 185
26 February 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Not that I know any German, but if it's like Swedish, I'd guess knacker would mean "cracker" or "crusher" in this
context (Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker" is caller "Der Nussknacker" in German).

It's not very far from the Swedish word "knäcka". Die Betonknacker....I like it!
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5376 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 42 of 185
26 February 2010 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
Not that I know any German, but if it's like Swedish, I'd guess knacker would mean "cracker" or "crusher" in this context (Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker" is caller "Der Nussknacker" in German).

That would make plenty of sense, with perhaps a colourful wordplay on "old codgers/geezers" thrown into the (concrete) mix too. Cheers Medlialis!

Edited by Teango on 26 February 2010 at 5:35pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5376 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 43 of 185
02 March 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
A double tragedy struck me last night. First my macbook hard disk died. All I get now is a flashing question mark folder and an awful ticking noise. Then when I checked with the technicians in the Apple store, I found that all the data on my backup drive had been corrupted too.

They told me how this is a problem for a lot of people who bought a macbook or macbook pro between May 2006 and December 2007. Apple finally publicly admits that they sold laptops with defective drives to thousands, and are offering replacement hard drives subject to examination. Just in case you bought one around this time too, check with your local Apple dealer.

Sadly they can't save any of my data. I've lost everything in this regard, around 5000 songs, my own personal compositions that I'd hoped to put into an album later this year, most of my photos and movies of family and friends, some work files, and everything else like LR materials and audiobooks I've bought or downloaded online.

I also have no music system, TV, CD/DVD player, games console, etc...I only had this little macbook. So logging on to the forum (I'm using a neighbour's computer right now), as well as LR and exposure to background media, is going to be a little tricky if near impossible for a couple of weeks too.

It's a sad day for Teango :'(

Edited by Teango on 02 March 2010 at 8:56pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5787 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 185
02 March 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Oh, that just happened to me a few months ago (as described in my log!) and it is an awful thing. I did not know that Apple admitted to selling defective hard drives - they did not tell me that when mine died. I had a little Mac iBook, purchased in 2006, I think, and I miss it. I lost all of my iTunes downloads, too, both music and LR audio.

I just got reconnected to the internet so I can do LR language work again, after a few weeks without any audio. I think my target languages have atrophied in the meantime.

Now is an excellent time to put any foul words you've learned in German into practice!
I hope you still have internet access at least.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5376 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 45 of 185
02 March 2010 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Meramarina - you can be sure I've already practised a few colourful expressions in the Apple shop today, in addition to dancing the dying sailor's shanty last night when it all happened.

I take solace in your excellent "die Todesanzeige des Computers", and am now stuffing my sorrows deep into a large bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate and taking the edge off with a bottle of Killkenny.

I'm glad to see you've got internet access now, and are able to get back into the LR swing of things. This is good news.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6177 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 46 of 185
03 March 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Ohhhhhhhhhh. The pain.

I don't know what to say..I really feel with you.

The only good things I can think about is that you at least didn't lose anything stored in your brain (your current language knowledge) and that you still have access to Germany.

But it's just too unfair. Argh. And I'm so sorry for your lost photos and music.

Hope you can recover from this punch-out. Perhaps you can find a cheap portable mp3-player or something? I've done most of my LR-ing with my walkman cell phone and comfortable ear-phones.

Well, take care.
//Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 03 March 2010 at 1:24am

papillon
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5499 days ago

29 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*, Vietnamese*

Message 47 of 185
03 March 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Teango,

Hang in there. Everyone is supporting you to continue your study and to do what you need to get back on track.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5376 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 48 of 185
05 March 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much to everyone for your kind words and support. This is one of the most encouraging aspects of being a member of a motivating forum, and I'm lucky to be part of such an inspiring and embracing language learning community and TAC team.

Well...when you're kicked face-down in the mud, the best thing to do is to pick yourself up, brush yourself down, and bare new determined teeth to the challenge.

So what have I been up to these last few days? I've gone out and bought a cheap MP3 player and some light high-quality headphones, and used my friend's PC to copy across all my remaining German LR CDs and some new material I bought yesterday too (so glad I didn't download everything online now).

I've decided to cut back on much of the wanderlust (fun as it is), to try even harder to reach my TAC goals by the end of this year, and do the best I can not to let Team K down. So a small daily portion of Japanese will be the key side-dish of the day, a little gohan and pickled daikon no less. As all my flashcards are gone now, I'll follow Medialis' excellent example, and start afresh by learning the joyo kanji online using Reviewing the Kanji instead from now on.

I'm also currently rewriting my "master plan" to incorporate some really cool techniques and lessons I've learned from my experiences so far. I hope to include some of Olle Kjellin's tips for chorusing and shadowing, and improve my study structures for creative writing, transcriptions, and discussions later with a tutor or native speaker.

Finally, as a mark of respect to our LR fairy godmother who started the whole ball rolling, and whose more helpful posts continue to provide motivation and guidelines to many on the forum despite the somewhat bizarre behaviour, I've decided to go full throttle and finish off my Listening-Reading for German at light speed starting tomorrow (trying to put in hours much closer to those originally suggested in the very first LR posts). I'm punching the hyperspace button so-to-say, and hoping for the best ;) I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried it full-on before using the LR method (perhaps Volte or Adrean), but I'd be really interested to hear how you got on if you did?

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version