Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 49 of 185
05 March 2010 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
PROGRESS IN German, WEEK 9/52 OF THE 2010 TAC CHALLENGE

SUMMARY

L-R: 0.5 hours (Das Parfum*** by Patrick Süskind)
Movies: 2.2 hours (Zulu [dub] – local library)
————————————
Week Total: 2.7 hours
LR Total: 66.2 hours
Year Total: 222.8 hours

WANDERLUST CONFESSION BOX

I will start afresh using the "Reviewing the Kanji" website from today.

TEANGO’S WORD/PHRASE OF THE WEEK

I had a whole bunch of interesting German words and phrases, but they've all gone up in smoke now with the rest of my data. For some reason, the only words that pop into my head this minute are these amusing typically British ones I learned many years ago at school...

der Teebeutel (teabag)
die Dudelsäcke (bagpipes)

NOTES:

Apart from half an hour of listening-reading and an old movie, this week has been a bit of a write-off. Nevertheless, I've gathered together a new wave of LR resources and equipment, and aim to bounce back bigger and better in the coming computerless weeks (fingers crossed).

Edited by Teango on 05 March 2010 at 3:09pm

1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 185
05 March 2010 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Since you are in need of a silly German word I'll send you one that came up in my reading: der Plumps. It is the sound something makes when it falls, i.e., a thud. I was going to use this word in my next update but I think you need it more than I do right now!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 51 of 185
05 March 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
Since you are in need of a silly German word I'll send you one that came up in my reading: der Plumps.

Danke Meramarina, you're a veritable goldmine of amazing words - where do you find them all? This particular one conjures up so many vivid images, ranging from how I felt after eating too much chocolate recently to the plummeting study slumps of recent weeks. However most of all I recall a simple melody, and fond childhood memories of these little friendly furry folk come flooding back.

Edited by Teango on 05 March 2010 at 7:31pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5778 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 52 of 185
05 March 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Well, this particular word came from the German book I am currently reading, but I make a regular practice of writing down interesting words I find in any language. "Der Plumps" sounds hilarious to an English speaker! In the context of the book I read, though, it was very serious -- used to describe the sound of bombs falling in wartime.

The Flumps are charming little creatures! You never forget your childhood TV shows - I remember a scene from Sesame Street in which pairs of little food items were proceeding solemnly from a lunch bag, to the tune of "Pomp and Circumstance". To this day I cannot attend a graduation ceremony without thinking of this and laughing!

I just found a really funny German idiom today, but I want to use this one myself - stay tuned!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 53 of 185
08 March 2010 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
You never forget your childhood TV shows - I remember a scene from Sesame Street in which pairs of little food items were proceeding solemnly from a lunch bag, to the tune of "Pomp and Circumstance".

Oh so very familiar...and just think of all those useful things we learned courtesy of the Children's Television Workshop too...like how to ask for "agua" on the Mexican border, that onions are the staple diet of Snuffleupagusses, and how to count beyond 10 on the local pinball machine...123-4-5, 678-9-10, 11-12.

Looking forward to your next German offering with bated bratwurst! This post today was brought to you by the letter ы, and the number e :)

Edited by Teango on 08 March 2010 at 2:42pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 54 of 185
08 March 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
So a slight confession with regards to my "lightspeed LR"...erm, hmm...I got a little side-tracked. Ok, it's out now and I already feel much better. With all the best intentions in the world, I just found that I had too much on my plate over the weekend and today. However, it's all go for tomorrow, the platform is clear and thrusters are at the ready - T minus one good night of sleep and counting... :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 55 of 185
10 March 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Good news folks, the Mac is back :)

Apple replaced the hard drive free of charge (it's actually a little bigger now), and after a dull evening of juggling operating system disks, installing upgrades, and adding a few years' worth of dodgy updates...it's all up and running again. Wahey!

All that's left now is to put something on it...first appetiser on the menu, Listening-Reading Potage à la ITunes...

Edited by Teango on 10 March 2010 at 1:32pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 56 of 185
12 March 2010 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
PROGRESS IN German, WEEK 10/52 OF THE 2010 TAC CHALLENGE

SUMMARY

L-R: 32.5 hours (Der Vorleser*** by Bernhard Schlink - completed!; Das Parfum*** put temporarily on hold)
Speaking: 1 hour (laptop repairs, neighbours, and going out/shopping)
————————————
Week Total: 33.5 hours
LR Total: 99.7 hours
Year Total: 256.3 hours

WANDERLUST CONFESSION BOX

Japanese: 83/2042 kanji (Reviewing the Kanji – started over)

TEANGO’S WORD/PHRASE OF THE WEEK

der Struwwelpeter” (Shaggy-Peter – a character from a story in a collection of somewhat disturbing children's tales of the same name by Heinrich Hoffmann). This is the stuff nightmares are made of...shudder.

NOTES

A much better week than last I'm glad to say. My computer is safely back home (after some major heart surgery poor thing), and I've completed reading "Der Vorleser" with over 30 hours of Listening-Reading too. Not quite up to light speed yet, but I'm getting there pretty quickly...building up momentum you could say ;)

Amongst my highlights this week, I successfully translated a few lines of Shakespeare into German on the fly for my neighbour, and made a couple of jokes in German conversation that were well received too.

Amongst my lower chimes, I failed to understand a delivery note as well as a bank letter in German. Both were about as clear as mud. All the the bureaucratic vocabulary being very specific and technical, I found that I could only understand about 67% and 73% for each respectively, far below the 90%+ I usually achieve whilst reading German novels these days, all very humbling.

If I keep up this pace, I should look forward to finally finishing Das Parfum by the end of next week (I put it on hold this week, as I really got into the story in Der Vorleser and had to keep going). I've also decided to change my reading list since starting this log, as I'm not fond of the reader's voice on the audio book for “Der Steppenwolf” (I'll just read it later I think instead) and Thomas Mann is just a little too advanced for me at this stage. I'll stick with Kafka's “Das Schloß” though and will add "Die Verwandlung" to the list as well for extra measure.

Edited by Teango on 12 March 2010 at 11:56pm

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version