United States
Joined 5389 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 25 of 185
22 January 2010 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I've finally succumbed to the wanderlustful urge to do something with Turkish, and have set myself a fun little mini-challenge to do on the side over the next couple of weeks:

"Teango's Ten Turkish Baths in Ten Days"!

Don't worry, this little escapade doesn't involve being scrubbed down raw and sudded up by an overzealous hairy bodybuilder; but rather combining daily relaxation with a bit of Turkish language learning. Over the next ten days, I aim to chill out at the end of each day's work and learning with a 30-minute session of Pimsleur Turkish and a good aromatic soak. By the end I hope to have learned a few more phrases to impress my local greengrocer, and to have reduced my stress levels into the bargain.

Wow that sounds wonderful...good luck with your goals this year!
1 person has voted this message useful

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5988 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 26 of 185
23 January 2010 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Hi I stumbled upon this
clip the other day and I don't know how.

It's in German and I immediately thought of you...Lyrics are there in German. I think they were a Swiss band.

Enjoy!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5376 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 27 of 185
23 January 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Adrean wrote:
Hi I stumbled upon this clip the other day and I don't know how. It's in German and I immediately thought of you...Lyrics are there in German. I think they were a Swiss band.

Nice find! Spandex punk poodles, just check out those lyrics...oh-oh!!! :)

Edited by Teango on 23 January 2010 at 6:15pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5376 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 28 of 185
24 January 2010 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
As part of my establised study programme, I've had a look at my study habits and daily hours of LR over the last few weeks, generated a nice little graph for analysis, and drawn some conclusions with constructive action points for improving my study regime:

1. I notice that my efforts follow a cyclic and roughly symmetrical pattern. Everyone learns differently I suppose, and the "Activist" personality in me seems to thrive in stops and starts. I'm particularly aware that the greater the rise the greater the fall. Although there is little I can do to redeem my learning personality and style, and why would I want to anyway, I can do something postive about my daily expectations. It's a little theory of mine that if I focus on achieving smaller goals by the end of each day, then the peaks representing hours of LR may be lower in my graph, but the troughs will also be much higher, and so the less-stressed tortoise will win out over the hare and my weekly hours will be more comforatbly maximised.

2. I tend to slack off the day after my TAC update report, which leads to a pleasant weekend of ongoing sloth and misdirection. My second contention is that once I've posted my weekly progress report on this forum, it's all too easy to put my feet up, chill out and relax on Friday. Well, the real weekend begins here after all... ;) So I'm now moving this report to Friday evening instead folks, in the hope that I'll put in a little more effort over the full working week from now on.

3. Some of the intial energy I had at the beginning of this challenge has gradually waned over the last fortnight. So it's time to inject a little more fun and carrots into the proceedings. My new wanderlust baby is Latin, so if I complete the minimum number of LR hours a week, then I also get to study one chapter of the Cambridge Latin course over the weekend as a well-behaved bonus. I know, it's not quite as exciting as snowboarding in the Alps or gliding over the Rockies, but the very thought of starting this course (so far) sets my crazed adrenaline a-pumping. Yes, I am a sick man beyond all help, and languages are my opiate joy.

Touch wood, staying objectively aware of my progress and habits, and setting these three actions in progress, will have a positive impact on reaching my goals.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6177 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 29 of 185
24 January 2010 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I know, it's not quite as exciting as snowboarding in the Alps or gliding over the Rockies, but the very thought of starting this course (so far) sets my crazed adrenaline a-pumping. Yes, I am a sick man beyond all help

YEAH!! That's the spirit.    ;D

Edited by M. Medialis on 24 January 2010 at 11:28pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5376 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 30 of 185
25 January 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm a happy little lingomonkey today...Amazon delivered English copies of "The Castle", "Death in Venice" and "Steppenwolf" to my door. Now my little LR collection is complete. My lovely German neighbour accepted the delivery on my behalf whilst I was out ploughing through the snow this morning, so I also got to chat for a few minutes in German too when I picked up the parcel on my return. Wahoo!

Edited by Teango on 25 January 2010 at 3:43pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5376 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 31 of 185
29 January 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
PROGRESS IN German, WEEK 4/52 OF 2010 TAC CHALLENGE

SUMMARY

L-R: 10.2 hours (Das Parfum*** by Patrick Süskind)
Music: 13.5 hours (106 German songs)
Passive Listening: 9.2 hours (wide variety of podcasts and audiobooks)
Movies: 1.8 hours (The Secret of My Success [dub])
————————————
Week Total: 34.7 hours
LR Total: 42.6 hours
Year Total: 145.1 hours

WANDERLUST CONFESSION BOX

112/2042 Japanese kanji (Remembering the Kanji I + Anki)
pp. 14/126, 77 hieroglyphs (How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs + Anki...completed 1 of 8 chapters!)
200/1900 BSL signs (Communication Link + reviews)
5/10 lessons (Pimsleur Basic Turkish...already halfway there, çok iyi! :) )

Ah you noticed...yes, I managed to sneak a little Turkish in..."Teango's Ten Turkish Baths in Ten Days!"...guilty as charged - see previous post. Cleanliness is next to godliness and polyglotism...at least for a fortnight anyway. Afterwards I aim to put the Turkish phrases into my flashcards so as not to lose what I've learned, and move on to a new language challenge combined with getting fit on the rowing machine...perhaps "Teango's landlocked Greek Odyssey" or alternatively "Greek Adonis in 3 Months"...or even more appropriately "Carry On up the Styx without a Paddle" (lol)...I'm open to suggestions? :)

TEANGO’S WORD/PHRASE OF THE WEEK

"Mjam mjam!" or alternatively "Lecker schmecker!" (Yum yum!), I double-dare you to say this next time you finish off a portion of Kaiserschmarrn ;)

NOTES:

With regards to listening-reading, a slightly better performance over last week, but still acres of room for improvement and future growth...from little acorns eh?

I've acquired some new translations of German literature over Amazon, stepped up my study schedule after a little systematic introspection, and even bought a really dodgy-looking German T-shirt in the January sales for a fiver to don ritualistically before commencing study and motivate me (I thought you might appreciate this one Medialis).

I'm particularly grateful to meramarina this week, who led me to learn the word "Stinktier" (i.e. skunk). Strange...I thought I'd never beggar the need for such funky vocabulary, yet much to my astonishment it has already appeared and lifted its obnoxious tail several times in my general direction during the current read of "Das Parfum".

Edited by Teango on 11 February 2010 at 11:13pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5787 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 185
29 January 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I'm particularly grateful to meramarina this week, who led me to learn the word "Stinktier"

I like that word too! Not so much the actual animal. There's another one hanging around in the yard now . . . I'm a skunk magnet, I guess!

Not sure if this is correct: An den Stinktiere ziehen ich magnetisch.

I have some newly acquired fun German words written down. I'll try to put some in my log. But I remember one beautiful adjective I have loved ever since I found it: stinkfaul! Meaning (according to Langenscheidt) bone-lazy, or deadly boring. Sometimes German is just much better than English!

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version