United States
Joined 5529 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 121 of 172
16 January 2011 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
In this context, wouldn't a Dutch Calvinist believe in the unconditional election of Dutch speakers? That those who can speak Dutch have been chosen already, regardless of their own actions and merits? ;)

This might be a useful sort of humourous term, actually. I've met many "language calvinists" who told me that I'm just "naturally good at languages", like it was magically predetermined, and not at all caused by my thousands of hours of hard work. I'm not part of the linguistic elect!

Ahh, perhaps you are one of the elect, but just don't know it. The fact that you could be one of the "language elect" doesn't mean you're entitled to it without hard work!

But you may take comfort that, if your "language calvinist" idea is a legitimate theological construct, that another Calvinist doctrine that applies is perseverance of the saints, which basically would say that once you know a language, you always will know that language!

Edited by Hobbema on 16 January 2011 at 1:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5654 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 123 of 172
16 January 2011 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
I've finished reading the first two Harry Potter books while listening to the audiobooks

I've been told that Harry Potter audio books are always unabridged, and follow the paper books exactly. Is that your experience with these two books?

2 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5774 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 124 of 172
16 January 2011 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:

I've been told that Harry Potter audio books are always unabridged, and follow the paper books exactly. Is that your experience with these two books?

Yes, the Harry Potter audiobooks are always unabridged. I know this first-hand from German, Swedish, and Dutch, and I think Sprachprofi can confirm for Greek and Mandarin as well. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Rowling specified that they should always be unabridged, because she wanted kids to be able to read along in order to help their literacy...although I can't find a reference for this at the moment. Wikipedia just says that the audiobooks are unabridged, but I think that's just the English article referring to the English audiobooks.

Anyway, I've checked the rest of the Dutch ones and they're unabridged all the way through. Over a hundred hours of audio for all of them.

Edited by doviende on 16 January 2011 at 3:37pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5774 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 125 of 172
16 January 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
legoland wrote:
doviende wrote:
Two week update
At the start, I had a lot of trouble with the listening, and found it difficult to figure out which word currently matched up with the audio. Whenever I glanced over at the English translation, I'd lose my place easily in the Dutch. I didn't understand anything if I just listened to the Dutch, except maybe the occasional word that was really close to either English or German.

It was most likely due to your sleep experiments.

Actually, it was due to not knowing Dutch :P. I had the same experiences with other languages. It usually takes me about 30 hours of intense listening to be able to track word boundaries really well.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5348 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 127 of 172
19 January 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
And now, for your listening pleasure, a reading from lesson 21 of Assimil Niederländisch Ohne Mühe.

schoenewaelder reads assimil lesson 21

Listen. Enjoy. Laugh. Cry. Write angry letters to HTLAL explaining why this is just the sort of thing there should be less of.

edit:

ik heb het weer gedaan!

schoenewaelder reads les 28

(I know I pronounced "moet" as "möt", but I didnt wan't to do another try)

Edited by schoenewaelder on 20 January 2011 at 3:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5192 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 128 of 172
20 January 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Ah ah ah!! So funny !!
Whether he took some drugs or didnt sleep the night before ! Now, shouldnt the audio be revised before being released???

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version