Groupie
Germany
Joined 5215 days ago

82 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Swedish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, Russian

Message 33 of 172
01 December 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Being that I intended to study Dutch in 2011 anyway, this seems like a good thing.
It is a bit sudden as I'm currently busy with Mandarin and Albanian, but then it's still one month between now and then, so I'll have to see where those are going.

So I assume we would just be doing whatever we like for one month, i.e. noone is obliged to use a certain method, right? Also, isn't this like a TAC (total annihilation challenge)?

It would be cool to have one thread where all the participants could speak Dutch to each other to practice what they've learned.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 34 of 172
01 December 2010 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Any recommended material or podcasts?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5529 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 35 of 172
01 December 2010 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I would like to join in. What Dutch I've learned seems to be stagnating a bit...

I will be using Assimil Dutch With Ease, which I already own but have been sporadic in using. I really need to start using it in the way it was designed. So this challenge might help with the discipline.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 36 of 172
01 December 2010 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Wow, this is starting to look really awesome!

Everyone is supposed to use whatever method they deem best, and maybe we'll be able to
compare results. I will probably do Assimil in German for Dutch as quickly as I can,
and also read Harry Potter - got a Dutch Harry Potter a month ago from
Bookdepository.com .

There's also a nice online course (in German) offered by the university of Vienna at
http://olat.ned.univie.ac.at/olat/auth/repo/go?rid=2129941&l ang=de - you can

As for Skype, I don't have a working webcam either at the moment, but last I checked
webcams were completely optional on Skype. We could just talk by voice. A separate
thread for practicing Dutch is also a good idea. Basically, make this a communal
experience, so we can motivate each other.

LangOfChildren
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5215 days ago

82 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Swedish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, Russian

Message 37 of 172
01 December 2010 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, just voice chat seems like a better solution to me. Neither do I have a cam nor do I particularly like to show myself! xD

Btw, there are tons of materials for Dutch, just pick a course you like.
You should also be able to find audiobooks.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5930 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 38 of 172
01 December 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
I was studying Dutch for a month or two this summer, so I will just be returning to the materials I was using then:

- Michel Thomas Advanced Dutch Course: I listened to all of this back in July while I was on a trans-Atlantic flight to Amsterdam, but I'm currently repeating the course for review.
- Teach Yourself Dutch: I think I finished most of this; there are probably only two or three lessons left that I didn't complete.
- Routledge Intensive Dutch Course: This supposedly takes the learner to a B2 level by the end of its (long) eleven lessons, but I think I only finished two of them before dropping Dutch.

I'll also be adding in Assimil's Dutch With Ease, and am going through some of the first lessons now as a refresher for the language. I also have Colloquial so I might decide to take a look at that, but I think the others should keep me busy.

I also have a Dutch-speaking friend so I'll try to speak lots of Dutch with him. He's a bit obsessed with it and Afrikaans, so it shouldn't be too hard to convince him!

Edited by ellasevia on 01 December 2010 at 11:40pm

MegatronFilm
Triglot
United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5726 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 39 of 172
02 December 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
I might have to join in. I promised my Dutch and Flemish friends that I would learn it someday for them. Looks like
this challenge is a good opportunity for that! The only problem is that my Flemish friends might be jealous if I learn
regular Dutch, haha.

edit: Just a suggestion for the challenge: what if those who feel confident in Dutch after the 6 weeks post a video of
themselves speaking in Dutch?

I think it would be wonderful, in general, if members posted videos of themselves speaking in other languages for
other members to comment on. Great practice and feedback!

Edited by MegatronFilm on 02 December 2010 at 12:40am

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5654 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 40 of 172
02 December 2010 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
This Dutch Challenge is a great idea. It is terrific to see all the interest in Dutch.

My personal challenge will be to improve my confidence in using Skype with Dutch-speaking language partners. I have done quite a bit of this in the past, and from time to time now. I'd like to explore various methods such as using the Scribblar web whiteboard, and general discussions based on web sites, web photos, etc. The main issue is to get comfortable and confident so that Skype chats become a more effective and enjoyable learning method.

My conversation level is somewhere between B1 and B2. I'd be interested in Skype chats with Dutch A-level learners for whom I may be able to provide a casual way to get into Skype chats in Dutch. I have done that before and I think it is effective. And I would like to have Skype chats with C-level and native Dutch speakers, either just in Dutch or as a Dutch/English exchange.

I agree with earlier comments that video is probably not a good idea. All my previous Dutch language exchanges have been audio only. That gives people more opportunity to concentrate. I have found that the use of web sites and/or web whiteboard sites to be very useful to focus the discussion and make it more casual and relaxing.

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version