United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 73 of 113
30 July 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back from the "Beautiful Island", 安德烈 不得了! I'd be fascinated to hear more about your recent Far Eastern adventures, although you can probably keep the stinky tofu (Durian fruit was enough for me in Japan). ;)

I'm heading off to Poole tomorrow to kick back on the beach and bob up and down like a bit of flotsam on the British waves, so I might just follow suit and try to write some kanji in the sand too (if I can still remember any lol).
1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 75 of 113
02 August 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Team TAC 2011 - Team KEN - Log #18

I've just done something I've been longing for over a year. I've gone all Russian for a few days! :)   Oh, I'd wish I could take a month off to get a Russian private tutor and start to actually speak Russian.

Master and Margarita - Round 2

A happy surprise: My last LR-round of Master and Margarita must have been immensely effective. I was never able to notice the progress because of the low intensity.

During a bus ride to the northern parts of Sweden a few days ago, I started to LR Master and Margarita again. I did 5 and a half hours of LR which is a personal LR record for me. I can clearly see that I have improved a lot in every aspect of Russian.
It's also interesting to feel the LR intensity. When I LR for more than 3 hours, a soaking effect starts, and the language just effortlessly flows in.

The following evenings I did 4 additional hours of LR, and I have started to really read the Russian as I listen to the excellent actor.

Natural Reading?

I'd say that I must have reached some sort of "natural reading" stage in Russian.
-Yesterday, I did a whole hour of Russian freehand reading of a parallel text. I seldom bothered to look at the translation, as most of the words were given from the context anyways. :)   Just reading away like this is a new experience and a huge step forward for me!

(But I still have a long way to go before I can read Master and Margarita without translation or dictionary. Just try to deduce the following words from context: "a checkered suit, a jockey's cap and a pince-nez" - phew   :)

There's only one problem with reading Bulgakov - How can I ever go back to read literature of 'normal quality'? Lol. I sometimes worry that LR has destroyed my lack of 'good taste'.   ;D   

What's next?

Hmm. Either I kick-start the dormant Japanese LR engine again. Or maybe I do a massive final Scriptorium assault on Russian. Tough choices, as always. :)

-----------------------------------------

Team KEN - M. Medialis

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 76 of 113
02 August 2011 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Lol..."a checkered suit, a jockey's cap and a pince-nez"...I remember stumbling on this one too! Bulgakov is indeed the Master, but after a few days' intensive reading at this level, you should probably reward yourself with a Margarita or two.

I'm particularly excited to hear how well you're progressing with listening and reading recently! I'd like to join you in more extensive listening and reading, but work keeps getting in the way at the moment. Maybe I'll have better luck soon and then we can both hit warp speed. I like the idea of going "all Russian" for a while.

You're spot on about intensity too. When I get the opportunity to fit in 6+ hours, the rate of learning seems to sky-rocket. This is as long as I also get enough sleep beforehand and take some breaks along the way. It's as though the differential in overall comprehension increases in the presence of incremental context over time (minus my natural siesta dip mid-afternoon) - oops, there's the maths side of my brain trying to come out and play. Back maths monster, back in your cage...don't let me have to integrate you!

Have you thought about joining the current 6 Week Challenge? It's only the second day and you can include all the hours you did yesterday. You'd be a cool contender. :)

Edited by Teango on 02 August 2011 at 4:20pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 77 of 113
02 August 2011 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Now when you're suggesting it, I simply can't resist the 6WC! My bad excuses probably got locked up in the same cage as the dreaded maths monster of yours. ;D     Now I just need to let today's work converge so I can do a nice gradient descent into bed (and dream sweet dreams about Russian). :)

Edited by M. Medialis on 03 August 2011 at 12:57am

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 79 of 113
12 August 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Team TAC 2011 - Team KEN - Log #19

Full throttle through the 6WC

Inspired by the 6 Week Challenge, I have temporarily dropped Japanese in favor of Russian. I just finished a second LR round of Master and Margarita, and my reading abilites and vocabulary are skyrocketing. The feeling of just being able to read a parallel text without audio (right now I'm reading a modern language translation of the New Testament), only having to glance at the translation a few times per page is fanastic! The English text with its roman letters looks so non-juicy when you're immersed in cyrillic. :)

And I still continue to ask myself: When did I learn all this?
-Three years ago I didn't know anything, and then I've basically just read parallel texts and LRed good novels.. (edit: and done Scriptorium!))

Well, my new superpowers have given me the confidence to venture into a new area of language learning. Take a deep breath.. :)

M. Medialis versus The Grammar - Introduction

I'm feeling more and more confident in my learning strategies when it comes to going from beginner to intermediate stage, achieving reading and listening fluency, building a large vocabulary etc. However, I still have a blind spot where I'm clueless. -How on earth do you learn to speak grammatically correct?

Let's start from the beginning:

M. Medialis versus The Grammar - End of Round 1

I actually forgot to document my previous Grand Battle against the mighty forces of Grammar. My last idea, (which I pompously presented in my SRS manifesto in February), was to learn Japanese grammar naturally through SRS.

Well, I did have lots of fun doing the Sentence Mining (that is, creating and preparing the SRS cards). But after a month I concluded that SRS repetitions are too boring for my childish heart (lol). It wasn't that the repetitions piled up on me, it was just that it wasn't fun enough - which kinda destroys the joy of learning languages as a hobby..

So my last battle against Grammar ended 4 months ago. And I'm now ready to launch a new assault on our enigmatic giant:

M. Medialis versus The Grammar - Beginning Round 2

Yes! Without thinking about the past I will fearlessly commence a new epic fight. This time against an even mightier opponent: *insert a dramatic pause here* The Russian Grammar.

So I have a very nice (pretty academic and advanced) book in Swedish about modern Russian grammar.

So I opened it again last night and my reaction was like this:

-Well, this doesn't look too bad..
-Actually this is really easy. Russian grammar is fun!
-*Flips some pages - Suddenly realizes how much it is*
-*Gets a revelation about my size compared to the size of the universe*
-GRLBAAAAARRGGHHH!!! *faints of fear*

..haha. So now when I've recovered from the shock, I started to outline a strategy for perfecting the Russian grammar - hopefully doing as little textbook grammar memorization as possible..

Beating the Russian Bear - Case Crunching

So there are six cases in Russian, and I still don't know the difference between them (and now we shouldn't even mention the declension rules   :).

So my idea is to choose a case, and then copy out the example sentences and tables from the book by hand (as if I was doing Scriptorium). In other words, I find all the examples and tables related to Genitive Plural and write them out, while trying to actively understand why the meanings of кресла and кресел are so different.

After having done this exercise, I will then eagerly continue to plow through my parallel texts and my LR materials as always (and get 6WC points!), and keeping my eyes open so I can recognize patterns that I've just learnt.
If I do this correctly, I hope that one single little Grammar Crunch Session can continue to propagate through my other activities, and that all those nasty rules and exceptions get sorted out while I enjoy normal input, such as novels and websites.

It will be interesting to see how far I can come with this strategy. There just must be a way to learn advanced grammar naturally, without having to sell my soul to the Root Memorization Fellowship™ and become a (semi-)living declension table. :)

-----------------------------------------

Team KEN - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 12 August 2011 at 11:25am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 80 of 113
12 August 2011 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Классно! Using Scriptorium to crunch down on those cases sounds like an excellent plan.

When it comes to Russian grammar, I've been doing much the same as you up till now, and letting it take care of itself whilst enjoying good novels. And the amazing thing is that you can pick up so much grammar without even realising it this way...

People keep scaring me with woeful tales of...*cue the spooky detective music*...VERBS OF MOTION...but I'm more interested in keeping my VERBS IN MOTION at the moment with plenty of comprehensible input and output.

For example, in addition to listening and reading, I've also recently starting chatting away in Russian for the 6WC (6-7 hours so far I think), and much of the time I seem to get the cases and declensions right without any conscious thought (the word just pops up in my head like the crocodile in a Punch and Judy show, or ortherwise I get a feeling for what sounds right and simply put my trust in The 'LR' Force).

There's of course a mountain to learn, but I think you're on the right track here, tackling it head-on when you can understand the examples much better and have an intuitive feel for the language (and who knows, maybe even enjoy unlocking the hidden logical whys and wherefores in the language).

Edited by Teango on 12 August 2011 at 2:10pm

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version