TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5963 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 49 of 113
07 May 2011 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
That's some great handwriting skills... Very very impressed. Of course I'm a complete
noob but I sure wouldn't like to be trying that. You must have a lot of cool language
apps use with that device. Very tempting.
1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 51 of 113
16 May 2011 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Buttons wrote:
So after a week, are you still finding this tool really pleasant to use and how well do you feel this is helping to speed up your learning curve? Apologies for all the questions but I am curious :)!

Yeah, I love everything about it. It was exactly the tool I needed (it's also perfect for reading lab instructions and online books that I need for the uni).

The EeeSlate has definitely boosted my learning curve. Mostly because I now can LR without sitting in front of my normal computer screen. Now I'm LRing away in my bed, at the train, at the bus, during the lunch break, anywhere! :D

I especially like to use the stylus when LRing. As I wrote before, I use a hover-over pop-up dictionary, so I don't even have to click in order to get an instant translation together with the corresponding hiragana.

About the dictionary feature that I recorded in the youtube video: It works really well, and it has unlocked the world of manga for me. I've only used it for a couple of hours though, but my impression is that it's very smooth and pleasant to use. I have the impression that writing down the kanji before getting the translation can be a good thing for connecting the characters to their meaning. But I need to experiment more before I can say it for sure.

But I don't think I'd been able to benefit from the handwriting recognition without having gone through Heisig and learnt to recognize the characters, the primitives and the stroke order. -Another reason why I'm a huge Heisig fan.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 52 of 113
16 May 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention: Throwing up a fullscreen page of high-quality manga looks completely amazing. -The screen is very crisp.

Edited by M. Medialis on 16 May 2011 at 11:44pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 53 of 113
17 May 2011 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
I was also very impressed by your handwriting skills! Have you ever thought of buying some Japanese brushes and taking up 書道 (Japanese calligraphy)? It's great fun, although like everything in Japan, from pouring tea to pebbled Zen gardens, taken a bit too seriously at times. Once you get reasonably good (or in my case, reach a new level of being bad), you could even occasionally hang some of your kanji artwork upside down on the wall and see if anyone notices. ;)

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 54 of 113
19 May 2011 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the compliments, everybody! :)

Teango wrote:
I was also very impressed by your handwriting skills! Have you ever thought of buying some Japanese brushes and taking up 書道 (Japanese calligraphy)? It's great fun, although like everything in Japan, from pouring tea to pebbled Zen gardens, taken a bit too seriously at times. Once you get reasonably good (or in my case, reach a new level of being bad), you could even occasionally hang some of your kanji artwork upside down on the wall and see if anyone notices. ;)

@Teango: Uh-oh.. Japanese calligraphy sounds so extremely tempting.. :) Now I have to add a new activity to my ever-growing hit list. Thanks for the tip! :D

(I can picture the walls in my future home..I don't have to have normal wallpapers, just my own stylized calligraphed kanjis....This is the 16-stroke room"....and "this is the flower room where every kanji contains the flower primitive"...)

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 56 of 113
02 June 2011 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Team Tac 2011 - Team KEN - Log #14

A couple of days ago I completed my last course work, which means that the Summer has officially begun! Wiiii!

The last weeks, I've been haunted by a persistent "language block". With so many things to think about, I've simply been unable to progress in my languages. Instead, I spent my free time hammering obsessively on the piano, composing, and other mind relieving activities.

But now it's over!

Yes! The language block is gone, and the first thing I did the day after I sent in my last report was to LR Alice in Wonderland in Japanese again. It's the fourth time I'm reading it, and I think it's becoming my all-time favourite novel.   :D    (that book is so brilliant/hilarious it frequently makes me laugh out loud - I wonder how much the other train passangers could hear..)

I have noticed that the Japanese words stick so much more easily now. So there are no excuses, it's time to start a heavy Japanese LR sprint!    

-----------------------------------------

Team KEN - M. Medialis

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version