Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 97 of 113
27 September 2011 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Team TAC 2011 - Team KEN - Log #21

@Adrean: Nice to hear that you also have experienced the phoneme wonder! I can only imagine trying to explain the feeling to my friends or my family, -no one would get it. :)   

--------------

I got this quote from Teango:

“To have another language is to possess a second soul.” - Charlemagne

So crazy people like us who study 2 or more languages would of course possess multiple souls (personality split, anyone?).

Let's visit them one by one:

My Russian Soul - Time to sum up the 6WC

The 6WC really gave me a major boost in all my Russian skills. I've gained the listening comprehension that's needed to enjoy Russian drama without feeling lost. My reading fluency was leveled up to the point where I automatically 'see' and 'hear' the pronunciation, prosody and meaning of words without looking at the individual letters. For example, I can sit back and read newspapers casually and while there are still tons and tons of words I don't know, the meaning is often crystal clear as soon as I look them up (this may sound trivial, but can be quite of a challenge if you haven't had enough exposure to the language).

I've also felt that my Russian voice is getting stronger to the point where it wants to break free from the silent period. That's the sign I've been waiting for - so I have started to device a grandiose plan on how to transfer from being a 'Silent and timid мальчик' to a 'Charismatic and strong bear-wrestling гражданин'. lol. I hope I can launch the plan in November, which should give me an elegant finish of the 2011 TAC.

My French soul? That was unexpected!

And here I am juggling Russian and Japanese, when this song by Zaz sneaks up and revives my old French soul! I had to walk around for a while dramatically exlaiming French phrases like: "La France, ma faiblesse!" and "Ça, c'est magnifique!" to still my newly awakened wanderlust.

My Japanese Soul, where have you been?

It's true - I haven't touched Japanese at all in 80 days!! It's crazy!

Yesterday, I anxiously began to LR Japanese and listen to podcasts again. What if I'd forgotten everything? To my delighted surprise, I observed that my listening and LR comprehension is at the same level as it was when I paused the language. The only difference is that the beautiful kana/kanji characters that tend to dance before my inner vision as I listen to Japanese have been replaced by their ugly romaji counterparts (these dancing characters may be some kind of synesthesia, not sure).
Having romajis roaming freely during my Japanese sessions is of course not acceptable, and I shall soon banish these traitors with a merciless full-scale Scriptorium attack.

I also have to concentrate a bit in order to keep my Russian voice away from my Japanese. He always tries to give quirky comments and word suggestions that are completely out of place. Russian is one of my best friends, but when I hang out with Japanese, he's Persona non grata. ;)   ;D

Anyways, I'm happy that my Japanese method managed to stand such a long cool-down period! :D

Tea Ceremony, the longing is over

This evening, I was so excited I nearly imploded. Time for Tea Ceremony™!

The Tea Ceremony is the time when M. Medialis prepares his luxuriously flavoured green tea, dresses up in his blue LR Yukata and watches some great anime. Ohh, I've been dreaming and waiting for this moment for so long - and it was as exhilerating as I had hoped.

-Life is good. :)

-----------------------------------------

Team KEN - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 27 September 2011 at 11:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 98 of 113
27 September 2011 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Hi M. Medialis, what Russian melodramas did you watch?
If you're looking for recommendations, "Черный ворон" (a mystical/criminal family saga that begins in the early 50s) and "Петербургские тайны" (mid-19th century) are not that bad.

Edited by espejismo on 29 September 2011 at 1:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 99 of 113
28 September 2011 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi espejismo! :)

THANKS for the recommendations! :D I look forward to check them out later this week :)

I was watching 'Дело было в Кубани' and 'Ефросинья. Продолжение'. The latter turned out to be more of a slow-pace drama/soap opera, but I still find it very enjoyable due to the beautiful pictures, the overly dominant background music (love this!) and when it bursts into full OTT ruralness.

Disclaimer to everyone: Don't hate me if you don't like these shows..lol. I think I could write an essay on why I think they are awesome, but that would spoil the magic   ;D :D

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 100 of 113
28 September 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
I really enjoyed watching Дело было на Кубани, and found myself at a loss when it finished after only 8 episodes. Soft as it may sound, I miss the crazy characters and melodrama now... Great recommendation, tovarisch! :)

Edited by Teango on 28 September 2011 at 6:59pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 102 of 113
19 October 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Team Tac 2011 - Team KEN - Log #22

Confession: I've fallen off the language bandwagon completely.. *blushes a little*

I haven't really done anything the last 3 weeks, except studying, chasing companies in order to get a fun master's thesis project, and playing the piano. My language inspiration probably went on a charter to the Canaries or something..

But let's forget about the past - And commence a glorious restart!

Today I finally managed to break the inertia, find the warp zone and beam back to the Japanese LR zone! And I was surprised when I noted my level of reading and listening comprehension during my first LR hours. -I realized I must have progessed immensely during my heavy Japanese weeks in the beginning of the summer (June and July), without really noticing it. :D

Those summer weeks captured all my language learning dreams - do LR and watch anime, and play around with various fun language learning "games" without even noticing the massive progress. :)   

Now it's time for some kanji practice followed by anime and all other things I like - 'Cause I'm back on the wagon!

-----------------------------------------

Team KEN - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 19 October 2011 at 9:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 103 of 113
19 October 2011 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Yep! Cashing in on an effort that's not even an effort, I like that feeling too.

Nothing wrong with taking a break now and then, as long as it's not too long.

I've gone off Russian since the 6wc, but instead I've set myself the goal of L-R one French novel a week. Totally effortless, pure pleasure, but probably useful as well. Could go on like this for a long time, I plan to come back to Russian in a couple of weeks though.

Enjoy your Japanese Wonderland!

//aloysius

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 104 of 113
20 October 2011 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Good on you for jumping back on the wagon! I have no doubt you'll find your flow again soon and start panning kanji gold. :) With my head firmly stuck in project work over the last few weeks, my language studies have fallen completely by the wayside too. Any room up there for another dusty trail hombre?

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version