Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 25 of 113
16 March 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Team Tac 2011 - Team KEN - Log #8

Time for an update! I've had some hectic weeks, and now I'm in full-fledged university study mode. I'll make a run to complete a big programming assignment and project reports in the following two weeks, but I hope I can squeeze in some language learning every day at least.

The Disasters in Japan

I try to not think about it because it hurts so much. It's like a black cloud covering all the things I do... :'(   :'(
I've realized how strong connection you get to a country that you're doing language immersion in. Suddenly, all the blogs I'm following changed character completely. From the happy-go-lucky every day life trivia, to worries and.....

..Ganbatte, Japan.... :/

Well. Over to the log again..

My Japanese Progress

I've detected some nice results from my SRSing. I have 207 cards now, and I feel they have already boosted my vocab and helped me clear up some confusions about the language. It's also immensely helpful as a tool to remember the pronunciation for words. SRS has always been a pain before, but I seem to be in the perfect phase in my life to get it to work. Adding cards is a breeze etc. It's hard to explain, I've just understood what Khatz meant with his sentence mining technique.

Japanese sounds different!

Yea, this is exciting stuff! Japanese has started to get a different sound. It still sounds exactly as beautiful as it always has, it's just that the words have started to carry meanings. It feels like the podcasters are talking to me (instead of the initial feeling: an endless string of random sounds).

Sometimes I can almost catch a complete (and fast) conversation, get the feeling I understood everything, without being able to point out one single word that was used. I just 'understood' it.

Okay, now it sounds like I'm having complete listening fluency. Nope, I still have far too many major gaps in my vocabulary.

The more I learn, the more I realize that getting 100 % comprehension is truly a Herculian task. (lol. so I'm glad I'm such a Herculian guy.... lol! sorry, just had to write it). ;D   ;D

Freehand reading

And I've started to read a monolingual Japanese book (vertically), just for the sake of getting used to being immersed in Japanese (so that I wont faint the day I go to Japan). Not that I understand anything really..but at least I catch most of the filler words.

-----------------------------------------

Team KEN - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 16 March 2011 at 6:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5963 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 26 of 113
18 March 2011 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
Sometimes I can almost catch a complete (and fast) conversation, get the feeling I understood everything, without being able to point out one single word that was used. I just 'understood' it.

That's great to hear. I can understand how this can happen. I won't mention a name but a linguist celeb polygot on these forums once said 'that if you can understand everything said then you can speak the language' ummmm nooooooo...

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 28 of 113
20 March 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
I feel exactly the same about Japan, and the families out there have been in my prayers every day. I was relieved to learn however that my ex's family and friends were not affected by the disaster, and I know some guys who are already over there helping out with the charity Map Action (wish I were there too). Indeed, gambatte Japan!

Your recent progress in fully understanding conversations without consciously focusing on the words in Japanese is very exciting. It sounds like another breakthrough stage along that ever-winding mountain pass to fluency! :)

Edited by Teango on 20 March 2011 at 4:45pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 29 of 113
27 March 2011 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
Adrean wrote:
M. Medialis wrote:

That's great to hear. I can understand how this can happen. I won't mention a name but a linguist celeb polygot on these forums once said 'that if you can understand everything said then you can speak the language' ummmm nooooooo...

:) This has been ringing in my head the last week. I totally agree with you.

Sometimes when I speak to someone in a foreign language, I understand almost every word they say, but as soon as I attempt to reply I realize that I don't have the slightest clue whether the words that (may) pop up in my head are correct or not.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 30 of 113
27 March 2011 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Buttons wrote:
Back to your log, starting to read and understand certain word and phrases whilst listening to Japanese is a really good sign of your progress in this tough nut of a language. I am truly impressed with your progress M. Medialis. You must feel really proud of yourself!

Wow. Thanks for the kind words! It took a while before they sunk in, but yesterday I finally realized that I actually can be a bit proud of myself already! :)

Usually, I only see the seemingly endless set of words I don't know. -Missing out to look back and see how much ground I've actually covered.   :)

Edited by M. Medialis on 27 March 2011 at 3:14pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 32 of 113
31 March 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Team Tac 2011 - Team KEN - Log #9

At last I'm back from a three-week period of academic inferno. I am still in recovery mode, but will soon launch some new cool language missions for Japanese and Russian!

And out of every hardship comes, as always, a new fresh word of wisdom:

------------------------------------------------
   |   -Do Not Neglect Thy Tea Ceremony!   |
------------------------------------------------

Yes - The happiest time of the day! Every other day at 22:30 I take a break in my studies, I change my clothes, prepare some green tea, sit back, relax, and watch an hour of anime.

Only thinking about it makes me excited - Life's good for a language learner!

Any progress?

I am happy to say that this probably is the first time that I've managed to go through such an intensive period without loosing any temperature of my Japanese. I haven't progressed very much, but the immersion and the anime kept my knowledge active.

Current plan

And soon my shiny new Asus EeeSlate will arrive, which will become my ever-present dictionary, LR-friend, manga-screen, SRS machine and friend in life (lol).

So now I'm busy preparing parallel texts so that I can use it to pull off a semi-massive LR Assault. Yay!

-----------------------------------------

Team KEN - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 31 March 2011 at 8:44pm

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version