Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 89 of 113
29 August 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Team TAC 2011 - Team KEN - Log #20

6WC - What have I've been doing lately?

During the 6WC, I've discovered "The old man and the sea" and LRed it a couple of times. A truly fascinating book.
I'm cycling through most aspects of the Russian language expect conversation (i.e. reading, LR, writing, grammar, listening, shadowing etc), and it feels like I'm making rapid progress. :)

The four days of neuroscience cramming (i.e. non-language learning) got me off-track for a while. I started to question how much I really want to learn Russian - it doesn't have any anime or manga, and I've not managed to find any podcasts that are as enjoyable as my Japanese podcast collection. But since it's 6WC, I decided to give Russian a few more chances - which made me discover a Russian tv genre that's as cool as anime! (this fueled my inspiration, and I managed to do 8 hours of active Russian that day!)

Russian melodrama - I'm a fan already

Melodrama - exaggerated plots to bring out the emotions of the characters. Strong Russian men who fight over beautiful women. Passionate love, tears, and romantic jealousy - all in a stunning Russian rural setting - sometimes even with chic traditional clothes - it's just too much, I love it!! :D   Russia, you totally redeemed yourself!

(I probably wouldn't like this kind of genre if it was from another country though..   :)

Making it even more interesting, I'm watching it without subtitles. I understand enough to keep my interest up, and sometimes I pick up new words and expressions. But I admit that I sometimes stand clueless of some important details in the dialogue. Luckily, that inspires me to learn more vocabulary.

And now when we have come through the prelude, let's enter the lyrical climax of this post (haha):

Ode to a phoneme

Confession: I sometimes react very strongly to certain sounds or words that I think sound especially beautiful. I don't know what it is, but there's something in the Russian pronunciation of words containing the letter 'и' that triggers my attention.

It's not just the pronunciation in itself - it's their way of saying it. I'm struggling to copy it during my Song Scriptorium sessions, but it's insanely hard. Everything needs to be right, the breathing, the position of the tongue, the air pressure from the chest, the resting position of the facial muscles and the throat, the vibration of the lips..lol.

So. There was a scene in a Russian melodrama where the mother was playing hide-and-seek with her children, saying in a more-than-lovely way: "Ah, there she is, my princess! And where is my prince?" (вот она, моя принцесса! А где мой принц?)

That sentence, especially the last word 'принц' completely threw me off the chair of sheer happiness. I had to replay the scene to hear it again: принцесса, принц, и, и, и, принц, принцесса.. Mmm, it would be worth learning Russian only for the и.

;D

пока!

-----------------------------------------

Team KEN - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 29 August 2011 at 5:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 90 of 113
29 August 2011 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm totally with you on Russian sounds...it's like an ambrosial banquet for the senses. Sometimes I just get high and giddy from saying certain words in the language! :D

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 92 of 113
07 September 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
@Buttons. Thanks :) :D   I also think you're a great language learner Buttons, gaining conversational skills so fast. Oh, and you're a great friend to! :)   
I really like you guys, we have a great team. :)

I've gotten a bit off-track the last days because of the MBTI personality-test thread. I got some huuge eye-openers which made me become completely fascinated by personality psychology - can't stop reading and thinking about it.

I've also spent some time trying to write down some of my piano compositions with musical notation (another fascinating, but incredibly difficult language :).

And today I was out for hours philosophizing in the forest. After a while I settled down to write at a great place where I could admire the beautiful and calm forest lake in the autumn evening. :)

Russian, I'll soon get back to you. As soon as my soul permits.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 94 of 113
07 September 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
@Medialis
Psychology, composing music, and meditating by a serene forest lake - now that's what I can a workout for the soul! Mother Russia is smiling kindly... :)

@Buttons
A fantastic quote! And from a far less sophisticated piste, my indoctrinated TV advert brain yodels back...

Only the crumbliest, flakiest tag-team...learning languages like never before!

Edited by Teango on 07 September 2011 at 3:12pm

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5963 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 96 of 113
16 September 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
So. There was a scene in a Russian melodrama where the mother was
playing hide-and-seek with her children, saying in a more-than-lovely way: "Ah, there
she is, my princess! And where is my prince?" (вот она, моя принцесса! А где мой
принц?)

That sentence, especially the last word 'принц' completely threw me off the chair of
sheer happiness. I had to replay the scene to hear it again: принцесса, принц, и, и, и,
принц, принцесса.. Mmm, it would be worth learning Russian only for the и.

That sounds like an Oprah "ahah!" moment. I can relate. I remember vaguely I think from
French In Action hearing 'du cafe au lait au lit' or something to that effect when
beginning. It was complete magic. I still get these moments from time to time when
hearing a particular accent or combination of words.

This reminds me of a Ukrainian girl showing me the difference between French 'r' and
Russian 'r'. Very enchantic sounds.

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version