Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 81 of 113
12 August 2011 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
It´s sooo inspiring and encouraging to read about all the progress you’re making in reading Russian by Listening-Reading Russian. And I’m totally with you regarding that SRS thing. Time and again I tell myself it’s a splendid idea, but those endless repetitions of sentences (or even worse: words) get very boring indeed, usually when I start counting the number of pages of meaningful input I could have had in those endless hours spent on random extracts from real discourse.

And talking of Russian grammars in Swedish… I have in front of me the 6:th edition (1954) of “Rysk grammatik” by Richard Ekblom, which I bought at a flee market a year ago, and which I had a look at the other day. It starts out with a short but imposing and forbidding introduction to Russian phonetics and phonology that I believe could be rewarding to penetrate, I just need to get into the right grammar mood before tackling it. But sentences like “Aeroplanet kan redan ses med blotta ögat” and “Tatarer är mestadels muhammedaner” certainly makes it tempting to have a go at it.

That scriptorium grammar method will definitely work out if you have the energy to go through with it. If you feel a bit lazy though, I’m sure just reading the example sentences will get you a long way. My way of assimilating Russian grammar is through Assimil, but I haven’t reached the active part yet, so I can’t bear witness to whether it’s going to work out in conversation.

I’ve done some L-R in Russian but mainly Alice and the Prince, and so far I haven’t been brave enough to tackle a real novel. Tomorrow I will start with Замок by Kafka. I’m currently listening to it in German (occasionally reading along in French) to have the story fresh in my mind. If it’s going well, M&M is next in line …

Happy 6WC!

//aloysius
1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 83 of 113
15 August 2011 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
and much of the time I seem to get the cases and declensions right without any conscious thought (the word just pops up in my head like the crocodile in a Punch and Judy show, or ortherwise I get a feeling for what sounds right and simply put my trust in The 'LR' Force).

@Teango: Ahh, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! -There is hope    :)

@Aloysius: Those two sentences (haha, “Tatarer är mestadels muhammedaner”) are so fantastic that the book easily deserves a 7th and an 8th edition. Who said grammar studies have to be boring? ;)

Замок by Kafka is really a fascinating book in every aspect. Actually, it was the first book I ever LRed. I used a Russian audiobook together with a Swedish translation (no parallel texts back then). The fun thing was that the Swedish translator tried to mimic Kafka's German (with the verbs at the end etc), so all the sentences were written in a weird poetic "backwards" way. When I LRed it the second time, I had found a modern translation which matched the Russian translation (but why make it easy when you can make it dead hard? ;D   ).   What translation are you using?

Buttons and everyone: It feels good that I'm not the only one who wants to 'Tackle grammar through non-grammar'. :)    

Edited by M. Medialis on 17 August 2011 at 2:42pm

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 

Message 84 of 113
15 August 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
Замок by Kafka is really a fascinating book in every aspect. Actually, it was the first book I ever LRed. I used a Russian audiobook together with a Swedish translation (no parallel texts back then). The fun thing was that the Swedish translator tried to mimic Kafka's German (with the verbs at the end etc), so all the sentences were written in a weird poetic "backwards" way. When I LRed it the second time, I had found a modern translation which matched the Russian translation (but why make it easy when you can make it dead hard? ;D   ).   What translation are you using?

That's a coincidence! I ended up using a Swedish paperback with a translation by Tage Aurell originally published in 1946. Could be the same one. I suppose it's based on Brod's first edition. The remarkable thing is that it ended abruptly long before the audio did, so I had to resort to a German version from there on. I actually had a look at Bakhåll's (Swedish publisher of Kafka's complete works) site and it looked like the Castle was still pending, but now I see that it's available from other sources.

I didn't really need a parallel text for this first round, but I plan to go througt it again with a German-Russian text. An alternative would be to switch over to the Trial instead.

/aloysius

Edited by aloysius on 16 August 2011 at 9:51pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 85 of 113
15 August 2011 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I bought the Bakhåll-version before, and would definitely recommend it for Russian LR since the sentences follow each other quite nicely. On the other hand, the language in the old translation is much cooler. :)

(But of course, using the original German text with Kafka's own words would be so nice - How did you learn German btw?).

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
Joined 6035 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 

Message 86 of 113
16 August 2011 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
I took some German at school and then learnt it little by little over the years. I'm not that good at speaking it, but reading and listening works well enough. My main method was just listening to radio and audio books. For someone who knows other Germanic languages the recognition part will sort iself out through mere exposure. Try some LR when you have some Lust zum Wandern. There are some good Kafka recordings, the meister is Gert Westphal (wasn't he mentioned in the original LR thread by the way)?

I've ordered the Bakhåll version.

/aloysius

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6152 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 87 of 113
22 August 2011 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
On Thursday I'll write a Neuroscience exam, which requires me to memorize an absurd amount of information (in this aspect I must say I prefer math exams). Neuroscience is a very fascinating subject, especially when it comes to the learning functions of the brain. :)

And to my great surprise, I found a passage in the Neuroscience book that described my situation spot-on:

"The steady approach of the exam date caused an influx of EPT (Exam-Panic Transmitters) into the TAC system and subsequently led to a hyperpolarization of the M. Medialis priority list. This triggered a burst of action potentials from the alpha-Result Neurons, αRN, which initiated a cascade of events culminating in a block of the Russian-permeant channels of the sensory receptors. This block could be observed by noting a significant decline in the 6WC point-gradient."

Lol, I'll be back with some heavy Russian action on Thursday. ;D

Edited by M. Medialis on 22 August 2011 at 1:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 88 of 113
22 August 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Haha...just eat some bananas and aim for long-term potential instead. ;)

Edited by Teango on 22 August 2011 at 4:17pm

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version