Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5134 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 53
08 November 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I have stolen the title from the famous song :-)

What languages do you think it is realistic for you to learn before you turn 64, and which languages would be your dream to learn before you turn 64?

A couple of days ago I was reading a log, where one of the members of the forums said she intended to dedicate the next 10 years to her target language. I intend to do the same, and suddenly realized that I should perhaps start setting realistic goals from here until I turn 64. At that time I will hopefully retire, and can set new goals.

Now for some of you, from now and until you turn 64 is an eternity of time. For me it is just 15 years, so I must be more realistic.

What I plan to do before I turn 64 is learn Russian to a B2 level, and Greek to a B1 level.

In my dreams I will have learned Russian to C2, Greek to C1 and I will have learned Polish, Ukrainian, Hebrew, Arabic, Dutch to B1 and Mandarin and Turkish to A2.

And then I can start dreaming about new goals when the time comes :-)

So, where do you think you will be, and where would you love to be, linguistically, at that time?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 November 2011 at 11:01pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5181 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 53
08 November 2011 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
For me that's more than a quarter of a century away! My only goal is to be able to continue learning until then. Linguistically, my most important goal for the time being is to reach C2 in Japanese, and I certainly hope it happens before then!

That being said, this reminds me of the interesting issue of the "now me" vs. the "future me". Essentially, we usually make decisions based on what is better for the now me (what we want right now) rather than on what is better for the future me, ie. what we must do to reach our long term goals.
1 person has voted this message useful

GRagazzo
Diglot
United States
Joined 4761 days ago

115 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, French

Message 3 of 53
08 November 2011 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
In 48 years I hope I am pretty fluent in Italian and Spanish, other than that I don't
have many goals.

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4688 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 4 of 53
08 November 2011 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Wow firstly you look great for your age!!

Secondly hmmm... I would love to have improved in these languages:

Swedish, French, Spanish, Turkish

and learnt some of these languages:

Polish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese (of some kind), Greek, Italian, Hungarian, Russian, Portugese, Irish...

Ok, I admit it, there are just too many languages that I want to at least dabble in - i.e all that exist and have ever existed before (except German, learnt it at school and didn't really take to it... But hey, never say never, I guess...). How many of these I will dip my toes into, I don't know... I guess it all depends on what inspiration I receive and any incentives to learn them - e.g holidays abroad.

Tomorrow I am starting on my Polish language journey so I can at least take another language off my ever increasing to-do list! :o)

x

edit: I'm 30 so thankfully I have a good few years until I'm 64! :o) maybe if I take on a new language every year...?

Edited by WentworthsGal on 08 November 2011 at 10:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4659 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 5 of 53
08 November 2011 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Hmm. I really cannot plan how the things will look like when I'm 64, so forgive me if I will halt on 30. I have a dream, plan, whatever you'd like to call it, to know 20 languages when I'll be achieving the Bridget Jones' age ;) Before enrolling to university I've thought about it as an hardly possible dream. But now, living in the big city, attempting many languages at lectures I can enroll myself to, as well as discovering amazing sources, websites and, of course, forums like this :) (I'm an awesome boot-licker, innit?)... What did I want to say? Ah, okay. That now it seems to be surprisingly realistic plan!
Of course I don't want to be (well I want to be, but let's just be realistic now. At least a bit! ;) ) C1/C2 in all of them. I'd be very satisfied to achieve such level in English (uh, this is a must!), Bulgarian, maybe Persian (though I don't know if I would like to give such attention to this language in future), Dutch (if I won't change my plans about my future destination). And I still dream about Croatian. I cannot explain it different as the yugo-nostalgia.
If it comes to the rest - B2, B1 and in some of them A2 will be sufficient for me (well, as sufficient as anything for the perfectionist can be). Oh, and I dream of learning Luxembourgian, Maltese and/or Faroese one day! Maybe someday I'll have enough money for the courses in these countries.

Edited by prz_ on 08 November 2011 at 10:34pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6956 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 53
08 November 2011 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Yes, I have stolen the title from the famous song :-)

What languages do you think it is realistic for you to learn before you turn 64, and which languages would be your dream to learn before you turn 64?

A couple of days ago I was reading a log, where one of the members of the forums said she intended to dedicate the next 10 years to her target language. I intend to do the same, and suddenly realized that I should perhaps start setting realistic goals from here until I turn 64. At that time I will hopefully retire, and can set new goals.

Now for some of you, from now and until you turn 64 is an eternity of time. For me it is just 15 years, so I must be more realistic.

What I plan to do before I turn 64 is learn Russian to a B2 level, and Greek to a B1 level.

In my dreams I will have learned Russian to C2, Greek to C1 and I will have learned Polish, Ukrainian, Hebrew, Arabic, Dutch to B1 and Mandarin and Turkish to A2.

And then I can start dreaming about new goals when the time comes :-)

So, where do you think you will be, and where would you love to be, linguistically, at that time?

If we assume that I live to see that age in more or less functioning mental capacity, then I'd like to be able to say at that age that I still have native command of English and fluency in French (I don't mean to be macabre or a spoil-sport, but I've been reminded recently that we never really know when our time is up. I'd rather be of sound mind and health at that age to let everything flow from there).

In addition, I would like to have learned by age 64 Finnish, Polish and Slovak to more or less C1 as well have redeveloped by then my competency in German and Hungarian to B2 or C1. Bonus items are if I were to have by that age at least useful passive ability in Czech, Estonian and Northern Saami (somewhere between B1 and B2) but competency in Ukrainian corresponding to B1 or B2.

Lightning
Groupie
United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5138 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 53
09 November 2011 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
I'm 18 now, giving me a lot of time before I turn 64. I hope to be C2 in Japanese, hopefully even further than that. C2 in Mandarin, Korean, French and Malaysian. Possibly B1/B2 in other languages I'll have no doubt dabbled with. I've never really thought that far ahead.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 53
09 November 2011 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
I'm 57 now so the goal is not too far away. I principally want to push my Slavic languages and Greek to the level of my Romance and Germanic languages (though they won't get close to my Danish or English). I also hope to revive my studies of Irish. It should also be realistic to push my Esperanto to a truly active language.

Outside the Indoeuropean languages I am only working on Bahasa Indonesia now, but I might want to add a few more - though probably not Chinese, Korean and Japanese, more something like Thai and certainly Bahasa Malaysia. Besides I'm seriously tempted to add Finnish, which is geographically close to me.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version