rivere123
United States
Joined 4630 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 53
09 November 2011 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
I want to be a fluent Francophone, and a skilled, if not fluent Spanish speaker.

By the time I am 65, I will be done studying either of those languages full time, and will likely need another.

The possibilities are sadly narrowed down to Germanic and Romance languages, as since I'm a unilingual I don't have too much confidence in going for a language like Greek, Russian, or Mandarin. Perhaps I'll do just a bit of Italian, and even more likely Swedish. Yet more likely, I think I'll go after Portuguese- by then Brazil will be a much more attractive place on top of what it is now, and maybe Catalan.

If Spanish and French give me enough confidence, maybe I'll try Greek. Perhaps I'll make a huge venture into Arabic, or into Mandarin. Perhaps I'll go with German.

All the same, I wish you you good luck to achieving your goals!
1 person has voted this message useful

ihaveacomputer
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6633 days ago

21 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi, Punjabi
Studies: Urdu, Italian

Message 10 of 53
09 November 2011 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
I decided some time back that my goal is to eventually have eight languages under my
belt at the C2 level. Whichever other languages I study will not get the necessary
attention for developing writing and speaking skills. They'll probably be languages
like Ecclesiastical Latin, Classical Sanskrit, Biblical Hebrew or Koine Greek, anyway.

The eight C2 languages are as follows:

1) English (native)
2) Punjabi
3) Hindi
4) Urdu
5) Italian
6) Brazilian Portuguese
7) French
8) Arabic (w/ Tunisian or Iraqi dialect) or Persian

I also want to try to develop oral skills in Neapolitan and Sicilian, but I don't see
either happening without immersion (though my Italian is already taking on a bit of a
Neapolitan tinge thanks to a lot of time spent on Youtube).

Anyway, I think it's a realistic goal. I'm 21 and I've already spent quite a lot of
time studying #2-#7, including a year's immersion period over in India. #2-4 are
closely related, as are #5-7. There's considerable lexical overlap between both choices
for #8 and #4. The obvious difficulty is in polishing writing skills in seven foreign
languages!

Edited by ihaveacomputer on 09 November 2011 at 4:31am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5647 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 53
09 November 2011 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
WHICH LANGUAGES TO LEARN BEFORE YOU ARE 64?

For me this is 14 years away and I want to put another 8 years into my Danish, but I refuse to make further plans ahead. I am only quite sure that I will still be learning my languages at age 64. :)

After my Danish project it could be that I prepare a language exam in one of my Romance languages or that I get back to Turkish or start with Portuguese, but these are just ideas.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 09 November 2011 at 12:22pm

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4781 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 12 of 53
09 November 2011 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
Ooh.
So I'm 25, which gives me a good period of time to learn. I've got my languages decided too, although the way
Basque jumped out at me may mean there are a few excursions on the way, but without further ado:

English (native), then:
Spanish
German
Catalan
Swedish
French
Basque

I'm advanced in the first three, can read the fourth and have done studies in the next three, so I'm pretty confident.
But at the same time I know that it takes lots of study, time, effort and appreciation for the language and culture so
my aim is to not be C2 in all, but to be C2 in perhaps 5? (excluding French and Basque which probably will be
conversational/intermediate)

Nice thread, and I think you'll surpass yourself with your Russian.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6382 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 13 of 53
09 November 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
By the time I'm 64 automated, real-time translation will have been perfected, meaning language learning is a pointless but still fun pastime. I'll have a lot of spare time, since robots are doing all the work, so I'll be tinkering with some fun language-learning software recently installed in my brain. Besides Mandarin, the official language of my planet, I'll have a decent knowledge of Arabic, Latin, ancient Greek, Xorblaxian and Dolphin.

This is just an educated guess, based on science fiction and the accuracy of future predictions in the past.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5469 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 14 of 53
09 November 2011 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Still over 30 years left to study, so:
Languages I want to learn to a high level (C1 or C2): Dutch, Italian, Russian, Portuguese
Languages I want to reach a solid intermediate level in (B2): Indonesian, either Norwegian or Swedish, Greek, Catalan
Languages I want to study some time but without any specific goal, just for the fun of discovering a new language: Arabic, Japanese, Mandarin, Icelandic, either Nahuatl or Maya, Thai
I'm curious how these goals/dreams will change 10, 20 and 30 years from now!

July
Diglot
Spain
Joined 5073 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2
Studies: French

Message 15 of 53
09 November 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
I'd have more than 30 years too, should I be so lucky (and I want to look like Solfrid
when I'm her age!)

Native level (the accent will probably never be perfect, but...) Spanish is a must. I
want to be at least C1 in French and Italian, be able to read ancient and medieval Latin,
understand Catalan and have at least a B1 level in German.

Realistically, I'll probably have to learn Mandarin to help my possible future kids with
their homework and to be able to talk to my kids' future significant others after they
move to China because that's where the last remaining jobs are located.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5149 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 16 of 53
09 November 2011 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm exactly half way there and only started learning languages 8 years ago so that means logically I should be able to have 5 times as much language ability as I do now, a wonderful thought but obviously it's not realistic.

REALISTIC AIM - Czech (C2), Spanish (C2), Hungarian (B2), 2 or 3 more languages to B2.

UNREALISTIC DREAM - Czech, Spanish (C2), Hungarian, Slovak, Polish, Russian, Arabic, Mandarin, Serbo-Croat, Italian, Portuguese(B2), Kiribati, Inuktitut and many more A2-B1.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version