Triglot
United States
Joined 5050 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Latin, German

Message 49 of 53
15 December 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Wow that's 40 years from now for me. By that point I hope to know near fluent: French,
Spanish, Italian, German, Portuguese, Dutch, and Swedish.
For an intermediate level I hope to know Latin, Greek, Russian, Mandarin, Korean,
Japanese.
And if there's time maybe I would try out Arabic, Polish, or Czech.
1 person has voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5203 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 50 of 53
16 December 2011 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
I hope to be fluent in French, German, Russian, Persian and either Mandarin or Japanese
when I reach that age. For other languages, like Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Arabic, Korean,
Latin, I could settle with advanced and for some, like Turkish, Portuguese, Ancient
Greek, Sanskrit, just intermediate.

SueK
Groupie
United States
Joined 4551 days ago

77 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 51 of 53
16 December 2011 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
I'm 46, something which I can say for only 2 more days, but I'm sticking to it until the very last moment!

I'm learning Mandarin for business purposes, hoping to acheive somewhere in between an A2 and B1 - I wish to travel securely, make very brief small talk, and communicate some basic business questions. From there, I should learn Spanish, which would also be good for me professionally, but I think instead I'll try Arabic. I lived in Libya as a small child and it's a life's dream to return there someday. Now that I begin to suspect I'm capable of learning a language (something I never beleived possible), I think it should support that dream.

I've recently noticed that dreams I once thought impossible, are now within grasp, but I've lost the habit of reaching. It's time to reconsider.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4915 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 52 of 53
16 December 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
That's 41 years away for me, so I can't even imagine what my goals should be for that kind of time frame. With my level of Wanderlust, who knows what language I'll study by the time I'm 64?

By the time I'm 30 (a more manageable 7 years), I'd like to be at a C2 level in French (currently A1, maybe A2 for reading) and Esperanto (no idea of my current level since I know a whole lot of words but can't really say much). By that time I hope I'll also be seriously working on my German again, which has unfortunately been brushed aside.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6397 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 53 of 53
16 December 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
oh, a bit sad to think of when I'm 30... it's 9 years away for me.
but hopefully it'll be
Advanced Fluency - Finnish (maybe nearing native fluency if I move there), English, German, Portuguese
Basic Fluency - Italian, Spanish, Belarusian (on the way to advanced in these three), Danish. maybe also Indonesian but it doesn't feel realistic right now
Intermediate, passive basic fluency - Catalan, Croatian; Polish and/or Czech
plus one language I'm not yet studying.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version