80 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 9 10 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 1 of 80
13 November 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
To be honest, I've struggled with taking off with this log for more than a week. Or even two. I've been afraid of the torrent of criticism that may appear just after the first post here. With my English far from perfeciton, I should probably brush up my English skills intensively for 2 or 3 years and just then start anything else. But, unfortunately, time flies. I'm already not a young folk - I know it may sound oddly in words of a person in his early twenties, but life won't wait for me (neither employers...). I have a dream. And dreams are for coming true. Of course I don't want to hide the fact that I find languages a very useful ability if it comes to looking for a job, and, to be honest, the only possibility to get the satisfying one, which I can see on the horizon.

So, briefly reminding the languages I learn (more or less): English, Bulgarian, Persian, Macedonian, Italian, Czech, Dutch, French, Slovene and Russian. Oh, I forgot about Old Church Slavonic, but that's just a must (nevertheless, it can be very useful, but the grammar is simply a pain in the neck) Of course I'm aware enough not to expect splendid results after few months. My goal is just to go on effectively.

What am I doing with my languages? In a short glance:
- writing on lang-8
- listening to the radio and the podcasts
- reading the books and the m-books and writing down the words I don't know
- using some useful websites such as lyricstraining and NPR.org
- making handmade flashcards
- with English - checking google and several dictionares to check if i'm writing properly. It doesn't help a lot, but at least improves my skills a bit.
- and, of course, doing some "standard learning", I would say. Plus attending classes, razbira se :)
If it comes to using these language in practice (I mean, the real-time conversations), except lessons with natives, I had such possibility only with my Dutch friend. But, just recently, my friends and me have hit on an idea of regular meeting where we will speak English only. After two of them I can say that it has been a blue sky!

If you have any idea how to improve my process of learning, feel to write. The same if it goes to correcting my mistakes. It would be even highly appreciated in order not to preserve the mistakes.

Okay, I think that's all for now. Believe me or not, but it took my two hours to write this post!

TBC
1 person has voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5364 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 2 of 80
14 November 2011 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Just a few English corrections for you prz:

prz_ wrote:
To be honest, I've struggled with the task of beginning/starting this log for more than a
week. Or even two. I've been afraid of the torrent of criticism that may appear after the very first post. With
my English being far from perfect, I should probably brush up on my English skills intensively
for 2 or 3 years and then start something else. But, unfortunately, time flies. I'm not a part of the
young folk anymore (or simply I'm not young anymore) - I know it may sound odd coming from a
person in his early twenties, but life won't wait for me (neither employers...). I have a dream. And dreams are for
coming true. Of course I don't want to hide the fact that I find languages a very useful ability when it comes
to looking for a job, and, to be honest, the only possibility to get the satisfying one, which I can see on the
horizon.

So, briefly to remind myself/you of the languages (that) I'm learning (more or less): English,
Bulgarian, Persian, Macedonian, Italian, Czech, Dutch, French, Slovene and Russian. Oh, I forgot about Old Church
Slavonic, but that's just a must (nevertheless, it can be very useful, but the grammar is simply a pain in the neck)
Of course I'm aware not to expect splendid results after only a few months. My goal is just to keep
on going.

What am I doing with my languages? a short glance (a brief overview):
- writing on lang-8
- listening to the radio and podcasts
- reading books and m-books and writing down the words I don't know
- using some useful websites such as lyricstraining and NPR.org
- making handmade flashcards
- with English - checking google and several dictionaries to check if i'm writing properly. It doesn't help a lot, but
at least it improves my skills a bit.
- and, of course, doing some "standard learning", I would say. Plus attending classes, razbira se :)
If it comes to using these language in practice (I mean, real-time conversations), except lessons with natives, I
had such possibility only with my Dutch friend. But, just recently, my friends and I have hit on the
idea of regular meets where we only speak English. After two I can already say that it has been
blue skies!

If you have any idea how to improve my process of learning, feel free to write. The same goes for
correcting my mistakes. It would be highly appreciated.

Okay, I think that's all for now. Believe it or not, but it took my two hours to write this post!

TBC

I know it may look like a lot of corrections, but trust me, everything your wrote was understandable, I just
rephrased a few things to make it sound more like how an English speaker would express them. And also as you
mentioned that you're still actively working on your English, I thought this might be useful to you, as when
people have corrected me in the past I found it to be quite helpful in highlighting certain aspects of the language.

Anyways, good luck with all your languages prz and I look forward to seeing you progress. Powodzenia!
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 3 of 80
14 November 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your corrections, I really appreciate it.
If it comes to the progress: first of all, I have to recover. A horrible cold is much worse than laziness and disbelief put together :/

P.S. But it's not THAT bad, at least I've written some rubbish on lang-8 today.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 4 of 80
23 November 2011 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Ok, It's time to write something about my "languages in action".
First of all, I've found a nice method to control my progress... and laziness ;) I've prepared a chart with all of the languages I learn, divided into days of the week and then, another division - for listening, reading, writing and the overall learning grammar and/or vocabulary.

If it comes to some more specific details: my friend has sent me an English-Slovene, Slo-Eng dictionary. But not only - I don't know how, but he managed to find the POLISH-SLOVENE, SLO-POL dictionary! Actually, he's a thaumaturge I don't have to say that this will be an efficient mover in learning Slovene :)
Besides, I try to write everyday on lang-8 something at least in one of my target languages. If someone has several minutes during the day to correct my gibberish, my main profile is prz_rulez (lang-8.com/56930). Afterwards prz_rulez2, prz_rulez3... till the prz_rulez7 ;) (the disadvantage of lang-8 is a necessity to create another profile if you want to write in more than 2 languages...)

Oh, and the last thing I've forgotten to mention, but in the context of my linguistic journey is kinda important - I've enrolled into (Mandarin) Chinese course. I guess I'm a nutcase, but... it's free. And it doesn't even count to my studies, it's just a special free course for students of my university. So why not to 'grab' it? If I will find it too difficult for me - I can always give up and say: 拜拜...
P.S. I didn't mean the worshipping festival :P

I'll try to post my weekly achievements here, but without scanner I can't promise that.

Greetings to all of the other language fanatics!

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6581 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 80
23 November 2011 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
I love ping pong! Will there be any live streaming of the matches? Is there an open mic
night (an open racket night I guess)?
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 6 of 80
23 November 2011 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm in love with the post above, but unfortunately, I have no idea how to answer :D
And just a short note: feel free to write in your mother tongues or the languages you know very well and I learn them too; every extra practice is valuable.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6581 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 80
23 November 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Glad to see you were not pissed off by that, pee are zee underscore.

È davvero così che non si può scrivere su lang-8 in varie lingue senza avere più
account? Non me l'aspettavo affatto. Ma d'altra parte non ci sono stato per un bel
pezzo, non mi viene in mente niente da scrivere. Nonostante che mi sono ripromesso di
andarci regolarmente a esercitarmi, ma che vuoi fare.

Volgens mij was dit het geval niet de laatste keer dat ik op lang-8 was.

Najwyrazniej cos zmienili bo przedtem dalo sie wybrac z dlugiej listy jezykow. Moze ma
cos wspolnego z nowa opcja "premium"? Hm, powiedzialbym ze tak:

Free: Limited 2 learning languages.
Premium: Unlimited

Comme toujours quelque chose qui a été gratuite ne l'est plus.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 8 of 80
29 November 2011 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Okay, time to sum up this week.
http://imageshack.us/f/21/dsc00041pn.jpg/
I'm not sure if you'll be able to see anything there since I've made this photo using my relatively poor mobile phone, but languages are in alphabetical order, divided into 4 parts: listening, reading, writing and general learning (A from 'apprentisage').
I'm quite satisfied with this weekend, nevertheless, always can be better. The main goals for this week are:
- pass my Slovene and Bulgarian tests for satisfactory mark ;)
- start learning Chinese before it will be too late if it comes to my Mandarin classes
- continue my Russian challenge. Oh, I haven't told you. Inspried by 6W challenge on this forum I've decided to start my own challenge. I want to learn the whole Russian tutorial 'Rosyjski: raz a dobrze' (almost literally: Russian - once but good). It's relatively easy, so the only problem is regularity. And patience.
- come back to my LOVELY Macedonian! I miss it so much. And the book called 'Големите скитачи' is already waiting for me! (Btw., on the day before yesterday I watched some historical programme on Macedonian TV. Bunch of propaganda, but I've understood a lot!)
- Persian, Persian, Persian. I think I learn Farsi too little and, after all, it's my directional language
- start to translate Russian lyrics. One text per day. t.A.T.u's songs are first at gunpoint

P.S. For those who are learning Persian: here's my today's homework. We had to describe someone. Guess, who I've chosen? :D
http://imageshack.us/f/839/dsc00040gy.jpg/

Greetings to everyone, dear language lovers!

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version