Diglot
Norway
Joined 4679 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 81 of 97
03 April 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Okey, here is my little report on LRing Le Rayon Vert.
My point of view is not the story in the book, but about language learning.

I did one round with LR L2/L2. Only the first 3 chapters did I read the English translation before LR L2/L2.

LR L2/L1 chapter one twice and then LR L2/L2.

Result:
I'm a beginner in French, so it was a bit early to start with LR. But it was not a waste of time. I got immersion and LR L2/L2 helps me to connect spoken language with written language. From my experience with LR German I need about 30-50 hours LR L2/L2 before I start to "see" the words, when the LR L2/L1 is more useful.

Reading the English translation before LR L2/L2 was useful, knowing the story made it a bit easier to guess what words and sentence was about.

1 person has voted this message useful

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5979 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 82 of 97
04 April 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Great stuff Bjorn. It was good that at least two of us made it to end of this not so
long audiobook. Can I ask you what you thought of the story overall? Will you be
listen-reading again in French soon ? How enjoyable was this form of study for you ?

As for me I enjoyed it up to a point. I am all too familiar with the author's style of
prose which made it just that little bit harder to concentrate. It was as if I'd heard
the story before. For future L-Ring I think the choice of text will be an important
factor.

This exercise was a bit of a stab in the dark for me. I've been doing so little French
study that I wanted to see where I was at. I have no short or long term goal at the
moment and like an athlete I'm completely out of shape. If I hear that I will be going
to France this year I will go on a strict language regime.

Overall I would have enjoyed and applied myself much more had I been L-Ring a German
text. I have more motivation and everything is new, exciting and difficult.

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4679 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 

Message 83 of 97
04 April 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
The story is ok, normally I don't use old stuff. I prefer newer stuff like crime and thrillers. I like LR, maybe because I also like reading.

Probably I will LR Le Rayon Vert later on, this book is now my reference to gauge my level in French.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 84 of 97
10 April 2012 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Too bad I missed the March L-R project – that sounds like it was an interesting experience. I've been rather out of touch recently due to various personal issues distracting me from the studies, but I'm planning to jump back onboard and try to update my log here a little. Just checking in to say hi to everybody!

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5767 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 85 of 97
28 April 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I have been entirely absent for the last little while - I have some lame excuse all
ready to roll out involving being trapped in a cave by a mountain lion for the past few
weeks while solo spelunking recently, but even I have some serious concerns that this
may not entirely be the truth.   More likely, it is on account of having finally signed
up for a free month trial of Netflix, and with the resulting 23-25 hours per day of
movie watching I have been doing, language studying kinda fell off the page (and also my
eyes hurt).   

I am keen to get back to Freutsching beginning May 8th.

Edited by Spanky on 28 April 2012 at 6:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4843 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 86 of 97
28 April 2012 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
@Spanky welcome back!

and for everyone: 6wc, are you going to particapate? And with which languages?

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4679 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 

Message 87 of 97
28 April 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
hehe, nice excuses.
Welcome back to the team!

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5577 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 88 of 97
10 May 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys,

Sorry I've been absent for so long. For the first time in a long, long time, the
motivation is there but there's absolutely zero time. At the moment I'm spending all my
time working - which is split between placements for a teaching course that will, after
completion, allow me to teach my foreign languages - the languages I'm training in are
French and German. I'm actually spending much of my day thinking about, teaching and
speaking French and German, but I don't have much time to actually concentrate on
improving my own level.

So, updates from the team - how are we all doing?

Jack

This discussion contains 97 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version