Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 81 of 276
21 February 2012 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Ok. I won't quote you, Kappa, but I think your English is near perfect and from what you wrote I wouldn't guess that you weren't a native speaker. Your grammar mistakes are minimal.

As for looking things up, I look up nearly every word when writing Japanese and still make a big mess of things. I will try to write again in Japanese soon. I've been planning to, but have been a little tired and lazy lately.

Don't worry about misunderstanding the pronunciation of words you don't know. I do that all the time even in English. I often think someone has said something really strange and when I ask them what they meant by it, they just laugh and say that wasn't what they said at all.

If your English is as good as it seems, you probably won't have too much trouble with a Scandinavian language. Like I keep saying, they're almost like English, both in vocabulary and grammar.

And you're welcome to hijack my log anytime. I think it's fun.

I like pickles too ;-)

1 person has voted this message useful

Kappa
Groupie
Japan
Joined 5331 days ago

99 posts - 172 votes 

Message 82 of 276
25 February 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Howdy,

I'm just swinging by to drop some links. I was going through my bookmarks, trying to sort them up (yet another failed attemp) and found these. I'm not sure if you find them useful to you but other readers of your log might, so, here goes:

Japanese Lessons with Maggie
YesJapan
LangMedia Japanese in Japan
mic-J AV Resources for Japanese Language Instruction
NIHONshock
Learning Chocolate - Vocabulary Learning platform

Cheers,
Kappa

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 83 of 276
25 February 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Hi Kappa!

Just couldn't resist, could you ;-)

Kappa
Groupie
Japan
Joined 5331 days ago

99 posts - 172 votes 

Message 84 of 276
25 February 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
You see right through me. ;)

Don't worry, if I can't find any websites, I'll come up with something else and post HERE! I'm that committed. :)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 85 of 276
25 February 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
I think my computer is spying on me. It seems to know a lot about me. It decided all by itself to change the Google that I use from English (or maybe it was Norwegian – I don’t remember) to Japanese. Even when I try to search in English or Norwegian, it often gives me Japanese sites before the English or Norwegian ones. Today I was talking to my nephew and he asked if I was on Facebook. I’m not, but I figured I’d check it out. I typed “facebook” into the search bar at the top of my net browser. It came up with several possibilities. The first one was the Japanese version. I decided I wanted to go for the English version and clicked on the English one. It still sent me to the Japanese site. And any time I manage to trick it into giving me English or Norwegian sites, it asks me if I’d like them translated to Japanese.

Then there is this forum. There are always a few ads since I’m not a pro-member. Lately, it’s been giving me ads about cottages in Steinkjer. How did it figure out where I live? It must be spying on me. On the other hand, it keeps asking if I’d like to learn Norwegian in Drammen, so it obviously doesn’t know that getting to Drammen would take a minimum of two trains and a plane and would take half the day. Nor does it seem to know that I already know Norwegian, which I thought was pretty obvious myself. It also keeps giving me ads about beautiful Ukrainian ladies. I suppose they are looking for language exchange partners, but I’m not studying Ukrainian.

I wonder, what is my computer trying to tell me? Should I buy a cottage? Is my Norwegian that bad? Should I get off the English and Norwegian pages and do All Japanese All the Time? Should I learn Ukrainian? Is my computer really spying on me? Or am I just paranoid?

Edited by Brun Ugle on 26 February 2012 at 8:57am

Kappa
Groupie
Japan
Joined 5331 days ago

99 posts - 172 votes 

Message 86 of 276
25 February 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
There's nothing to worry about.

They figure out what area you live in from your IP address, and from the country, the language you supposedly speak. They give you ads based on that. I don't see many ads (none on the forum). I use a Firefox addon called Adblock (I think there's one for Chrome as well, if I remember correctly. I personally can't live without it, or Flashblock.). It doesn't remove all of them, but it's still nice to be able to browse the web with less automated ads.

Google usually redirect you to your local Google site. I don't know why it keeps giving you Japanese, but you might want to check the search settings of Google. It's really annoying when I am looking for some information in English and there comes up everything in Japanese so I set the language preferences to English (both Google and the browser).

You might have accessed Facebook before and set the language to Japanese. They, websites and your browser, collect data and remember that kind of stuff.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 87 of 276
26 February 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
Log for 2012.02.19-2012.02.25 inclusive

It’s been a bit of a bad week. I was so tired, but I finally figured out why. I was coming down with a cold. So, I’ve mostly ignored Japanese in favor of sleeping. On Thursday, I hit an all-time low of 31 minutes and 38 seconds of study time. I ignored both Heisig and Anki completely for several days in a row, and we all know what happens when you do that. I had to promise myself chocolate yesterday if I got through all the reviews. Good news though – I finally got to eat my chocolate, but it wasn’t until about 18:00.

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 1:58. New kanji = 14. And when I finally got around to reviewing, I remembered exactly one of those 14.

Read the kanji: Time = 3:17. I just notice something the other day. I mentioned that I had finished adding the N3 vocabulary, but what I hadn’t realized was that according to my statistics, I know 1640 out of 1639 words. That must take some special kind of genius to manage that.

ANKI review: Time = 3:07. Mostly on Saturday.

Reading: Time = 5:54. This was about the only thing I did some days. I just lay on the couch with a cup of tea and a book.

Writing: Time = 0:13.

iKnow: Time= 4:49. I still have a tendency to forget words when it gives them to me in English and asks me to type them in in Japanese. I know too many other words with the same meaning and I forget which one they want. It’s usually fine when they say it in Japanese and ask me to pick the English meaning from a list, or when they give me the English and ask me to pick the Japanese from a list.

Textbook/grammar: Time = 0:32.

Total for period: 18 hr, 56 min

Total since start of TAC 2012: 200 hr, 36 min (Yay! I broke the 200 mark.)

Total since I started keeping track (2011.11.06): 394 hr, 59 min

According to my own estimation I only need 2093 hours 31 minutes and 19 seconds more studying to get to the level I want to achieve. Don’t ask me how I came up with that number. It was very complicated. Also, I forget. I’m kind of hoping that I overestimated it, but so far, it seems more likely that I’ve underestimated.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 88 of 276
26 February 2012 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
I was mostly kidding about the computer-paranoia thing. But that adblock thing sounds great. I don't mind the ads on this forum because the are not obtrusive at all, but those site with big flashing ads drive me crazy. I can hardly read the articles because the ads keep distracting me.

I don't know why Google reset me since I never touched the settings. I really don't mind though. I just think it's kind of funny. It's probably just that I did a bit too much searching in Japanese.

And I KNOW I've never set Facebook to Japanese. I've never even been on Facebook on this computer. I did have a brief glance at it once, but that was on my work computer.

The Ukrainian ladies are probably there because I been following some of the Russian logs. Maybe it couldn't find any Russian ladies and figured Ukrainian ladies were the next best thing.

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version