Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 233 of 276
06 December 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
After somehow picking up from your Norwegian post that you were reading a book by 赤川次郎 (the kanji helped) I did a little bit of research and discovered that he also wrote the book セーラー服と機関銃 which formed the basis of a TV drama I watched and rather enjoyed a few weeks ago. So I made a mental note that next time I have a blow out on amazon.co.jp, I might throw something by him on the list.

Anyway, I went to the library today and thought I'd have a browse of the small selection of Japanese books they have in the "community languages" section, and in amongst the books on how to survive in the UK, cookery books, picture books for pre-schoolers and translations of Agatha Christie there was also a small selection of 赤川次郎 books. I feel like I've found some buried treasure! This included two 三毛猫ホームズ books, but not, unfortunately, the first one in the series which I think you are reading right now. Nevertheless, I've borrowed one of them and will try it out as soon as I've finished the 村上 short stories!
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 234 of 276
06 December 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Actually 赤川次郎 has written over 500 books. I think there are 35 in the 三毛猫ホームズ, but there are a bunch of other series he's written. A lot of his books have been made into dramas, including 三毛猫. There are also manga and even video-games based on his books! Anyway, I started with 三毛猫ホームズ because I love cats and I love mysteries, so a cat that solves mysteries must be perfect for me.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 235 of 276
07 December 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Wow, you could have a 100 book Super Challenge for 赤川次郎 alone then! The exciting thing for me is that these books don't seem to be available in English translation, so it is something I can only access because I have spent the time and effort learning Japanese. That's a nice feeling!

I really hope you keep up both the reading and the book reviews, I'm looking forward to finding out about other authors I could perhaps read too!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 236 of 276
07 December 2012 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Yes indeed. It's hard to imagine writing 15-20 books per year!

Reading something that isn't available in English is something I like too. It makes the effort worth while. I was very glad to find out that Japan has a tradition for logical puzzle mysteries -- the kind where the detective uses clues and reasoning to find out what happened, like Hercule Poirot or Sherlock Holmes. I love those kinds of stories.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 237 of 276
08 December 2012 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
I’ve been using a great deal of my time on organizing the TAC 2013, so I haven’t been doing a lot of studying lately. It’s a lot of fun organizing things though, so I’m not complaining :-) I’m even looking forward to doing it again next year if they let me. Things seem to be slowing down now from the mad feeding-frenzy of the first two days. The excitement of the first couple days of organizing had me feeling very happy, but now I’m back to my normal stressed self.

I ran into a friend the other day. I almost never see him these days, so it was quite a surprise to see him coming out of a store only a block from my apartment. He told me that his husband has cancer (!), but he’s been operated and it hadn’t spread, so after a little chemotherapy he should be fine. Hopefully we will get to see them at Christmastime. The last time I saw them or talked to them was at Easter. That’s the problem when asocial people try to socialize. There isn’t really much socializing. And none of us are so very social I suppose.

My mystery novel is going well, albeit slowly. Intrigues are piling up. As usual, lots of people have reason to want the victim dead, and at least some of them seem to be hiding something, but since he was found in a locked room, none of them could have killed him. Maybe he killed himself!? But killing yourself with a blunt instrument sounds difficult, and they can’t find the weapon either, so I guess not. It’s a real conundrum. But Holmes (the cat) is sure to figure it out in the end. The question is if I will be able to figure it out before she does. I have a disadvantage since I don’t understand everything, but I also have the advantage of reading so slowly that I perhaps notice details that would otherwise slip by so quickly I wouldn’t catch them. We shall see which weighs heavier.

I’ve also got a slight pain in my coccyx. I had it before and it went away, but this time I’ve figured out where it came from. My internet connection keeps disappearing and I go into the hallway to find one. So I end up sitting on the tile floor. I suppose I should get a cushion.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4684 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 238 of 276
08 December 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Jeg hadde halebeinproblemer (halevein = coccyx) også! Hadde det verst det året jeg gikk
på folkehøgskole, men jeg merka det hvis jeg satt i feil sittestilling over lengre tid
siden 2006-2007 en gang.

Det gikk over etter at jeg hadde vært hos kiropraktor et par-tre ganger. Det koster en
formue da...

Hvis det fortsetter over lengre tid eller blir verre bør du oppsøke en lege.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 239 of 276
08 December 2012 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Det forsvant ganske fort siste gang, og nå at jeg vet hva som forårsaker det, tipper jeg på at det forvinner denne gangen òg. Særlig siden jeg har satt en stol der.

Jeg kunne gjettet halebein forresten. Det er litt interessant at vi bruker så mange latinske (eller i dette tilfelle, greske) ord for sånne medisinske greier på engelsk, mens dere bruker egne norske ord. Vi har selvfølgelig noen engeske ord. Vi sier også "tail bone" noen ganger.

Jeg husker da jeg først kom til norge og norsken var ennå ikke så bra. Mannen min hadde en sykmelding og forsto ikke hva som sto der, men jeg kunne hjelpe ham fordi det var så mye latinsk.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4684 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 240 of 276
08 December 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Jeg har fått med meg at engelsk bruker så mange rare latinske ord; jeg ble rimelig satt
fast sist gang jeg forklarte noen hvilke synsproblemer jeg hadde. "Skjeve hornhinner"
er lettere å huske enn "astigmatism". Heldigvis er noen ord det samme da, som
"albinisme" og "nystagmus".

Bare sitt ordentlig; len deg tilbake, aldri fremover med mindre du må, og ha litt
bevegelse hver dag, så går det bra. Tror det var en av grunnene til at det nesten er
helt borte nå; jeg må jo gå til og fra forelesninger og sånt flere ganger om dagen -
gruer meg til neste år da vi må ta buss igjennom byen, og trafikkflyten her er ikke mye
å skryte av. :p

Og boka fra 赤川次郎 som du snakker om virker interessant. Jeg liker når jeg faktisk
leser navn riktig, jeg tenkte あか-がわ-じ-ろう. :D

Edited by stifa on 08 December 2012 at 12:57pm

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version