United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4616 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 33 of 276
02 January 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on finishing Heisig! I'm vying to get there myself soon. Looking forward to following your log.
Battling bipolar disorders and having that much focus with Japanese is truly inspirational.
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6439 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 34 of 276
02 January 2012 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Congratulations on finishing Heisig! I'm vying to get there myself soon. Looking forward to following your log.
Battling bipolar disorders and having that much focus with Japanese is truly inspirational.

Thanks!
I don't always have that much focus though. I have gone long periods without studying when I've been too depressed to see any point. On the other hand, if I get the bipolar disorder properly under control, having Asperger Syndrome will probably be an advantage since we tend to focus very intensely on whatever we are interested in.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6439 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 35 of 276
05 January 2012 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
Hmm! It's a good thing I bookmarked my log. In only four days, it had disappeared to the bottom of page three. Here's an update:

Log for 2012.01.01-2012.01.04 inclusive

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 1:42. The number of reviews has gone down a lot, but that first box never seems to get empty. There are always one or keywords I mix up with similar ones.

Read the kanji: Time = 2:00. I’m still waiting for them to fix their review algorithm. Meanwhile, I do about a half-hour a day. I hope they fix it soon. Otherwise I might have to revise my goals.

ANKI: Time = 3:17. I had a really unpleasant meeting the other day and felt horrible after, so I ended up not reviewing at all that day. Then I had a huge pile the next day. I decided to just review for a total of an hour that day and not add any new cards. I was able to get through most of it, but I’m still a little behind.

Harry Potter
      Audio and reading at the same time: Time = 1:06. I only listened once these past four days. I think I might try to finish this last time through the book, then go on to something else. I love Harry Potter, but it’s getting to be enough, even for me. I either have to get the next book, or find something else to do.
      Audio only: Time = 1:01 Not many walks this week. Also, I think it might be time to find something else to listen to. The question is what.

Other reading: Time = 2:54. This includes reading things on the net, and reading lots of Doraemon in an attempt to relax after my meeting.

Other listening: Time = 1:27. One episode of Erin per day. I’m more than halfway through now. It’s kind of fun. After I’m done, I need to find something else that’s fun to watch and that I can watch on the net.

Writing: Time = 0:10 I’ve been too exhausted to bother.

Grammar: Time = 1:19 Even though I know most of the stuff in the dictionary since it's "basic" grammar, I still learn lots about the subtleties of usage. Just finished ~がる, next is ごろ。

Total for period: 14 hr, 56 min
Total since start of TAC 2012: 14 hr, 56 min
Total since I started keeping track: 209 hr, 18 min

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6439 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 36 of 276
05 January 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
今日は、犬と私の10の約束 という映画を見ました。ちょっと悲しい映画 でしたけれど、好きでした。日本語は分かり やすいですから、推薦します。

Today I watched a film called 10 Promises to My Dog. It was a somewhat sad movie, but I liked it. The Japanese is easy to understand, so I recommend it.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6439 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 37 of 276
08 January 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Log for 2012.01.05-2012.01.07 inclusive

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 1:41. New kanji = 29. I’ve decided that instead of trying to learn about 40 RTK3 kanji every weekend, I would try to spread them out and learn 5 or 6 a day. That will hopefully keep the number of reviews more even and make it easier to learn and remember them. The RTK3 kanji are really tough. It’s hard to make stories, there aren’t as many stories for them on the Reviewing the Kanji website, and sometimes you have to look up the keyword in English before you even know what it means (so far I haven’t gotten to those, but I flipped through the book, so I know they’re coming).

Read the kanji: Time = 1:47. I’m STILL waiting for them to fix their review algorithm.

ANKI: Time = 3:04. I’ve decided to try to limit this to an hour a day. If I’ve done all my reviews, and there is still time left, I add more cards, but I’m trying still to get the level of reviews to go down.

Reading: Time = 0:38.

Other listening: Time = 5:00. One episode of Erin per day plus a movie and dramas. The problem with movies and dramas is that there is a lot of background noise and I have difficulties with that even in my native language. So I tend to rely a lot on the subtitles. So I don’t know how much it helps my language learning. I do pick up some words though.

Writing: Time = 0:03. I’ve been too exhausted to bother. The only thing I wrote was here in my log about the dog movie.

Grammar: Time = 0:29. I didn’t read a lot I my grammar dictionary this time. In my exhausted state, it might not stick well anyway.

Total for period: 12 hr, 43 min
Total since start of TAC 2012: 27 hr, 39 min
Total since I started keeping track: 222 hr, 1 min

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5904 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 38 of 276
10 January 2012 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't worry too much about writing at this point. It's fun but it can be frustrating. I think I spend more time looking up how to write stuff than I do the actual writing part. It's dangerous to look up stuff; for every single thing that I feel I've learned - there's 10 other new constructions or words or phrases! The best part about writing is having contact to native speakers. I used to have penpals and I miss that little window into Japan! My penpals would always tell me what they would eat and send me pictures of the food -he-he!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6439 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 39 of 276
12 January 2012 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
I meant to post this last night, but kept having problems with my internet connection.

Log for 2012.01.08-2012.01.11 inclusive

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 2:01. New kanji = 34.

Read the kanji: Time = 1:22. They finally fixed the review algorithm, so now I can get back to this.

ANKI: Time = 3:58.

Reading: Time = 1:40. Mostly manga. I like to read to relax before bed.

Other listening: Time = 4:06. I’m almost finished with Erin. But I’ve discovered drama, so I will probably have plenty to watch in the future.

LR: Time = 2:04. I found out that Harry Potter audiobooks were only made for the first two books. I don’t think I will bother with the second one either because of the expense, but I will probably read all the books anyway. Actually, I must admit, that I’ve just about had my fill of Harry Potter at the moment. At least, I’m tired of the first book. So I was thinking of looking at some free resources to get a change.

Grammar: Time = 1:01.

Total for period: 16 hr, 11 min
Total since start of TAC 2012: 43 hr, 50 min
Total since I started keeping track (2011.11.06): 238 hr, 12 min

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6439 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 40 of 276
12 January 2012 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Since I am using Anki so much, I thought I write a little about how I use it.

I’ve found that sentences work better for me than individual words. However, the sentence should be a short as possible. There is nothing more daunting than opening Anki and finding a sentence that covers three lines. I often just clip short phrases to put in rather than whole sentences. I generally use online sources so I can just cut and paste rather than typing in the sentence myself and risking mistakes. It’s also a lot less work, so it goes faster, plus I can use rikaichan to get the definitions (also a cut and paste job). I don’t try to translate the sentences. I just put in the definitions for words I don’t know.

I set up Anki so that it automatically makes both a recall and a recognition card for every fact. I also edited the layout so that the recognition cards give me the reading as the question, rather than the meaning. So my cards for Japanese look like this:

Recognition
Front: Japanese sentence as written originally (with kanji)
Back: Japanese sentence with furigana
        Definitions of unknown words

Recall
Front: Japanese reading (sentence in kana)
Back: Japanese with kanji
        Definitions

This is how I use them:

For recognition cards, I just read the sentence aloud and consider the meaning. Then I flip the card to see if I was right and read the sentence aloud one more time. If I was wrong, I study it a little and try to memorize what I forgot, and read the card aloud a couple more times.

For recall cards, I read the hiragana out loud once and consider the meaning. Then I write the sentence with kanji while saying each word aloud. Then I flip the card and check it. If I was right I read out loud one more time. If I was wrong, I study it and repeat it as above. If I wrote the wrong kanji, I think about the Heisig meaning and story. Remembering the Heisig meanings can be very helpful. Sometimes it is easy to see the way they fit the meaning of the compound or word, but other times they seem completely ridiculous. It’s often even easier to remember the ridiculous ones because they are so funny. (It struck me that this method of reading aloud and writing is very similar to Dr Arguelles’ scriptorium technique.)

Anyway, the reason I do both recall and recognition is that it seems to stick much better in my mind if I also have to produce the kanji myself. Also, I have to be able to write them anyway.

The reason I don’t have any cards where it goes from English to Japanese is that there are often many ways to express the same thing, and it would be hard to tell, when reviewing the cards, if my translation was acceptable or not.

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version