Joined 5905 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 25 of 276
31 December 2011 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Japan is one of the few countries that can make Norway look inexpensive. Next time, I will learn a cheap language!

Books are indeed expensive! I don't know how people can afford all the reading necessary to prepare for the N2/N1 levels! There used to be a great bookstore called "BeNippon" where you had the option of finding used Japanese books at a great price! unfortunately they shut down after the Sendai earthquake. I'm also now searching around for some books + audio, but I'm still reviewing so I'm not in a hurry.

良いお年を - Have a good New Year!
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6440 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 26 of 276
31 December 2011 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
2011 is over and it’s time to wrap up and give the final count before starting the New Year. 

Log for 2011.12.30-2011.12.31 inclusive

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 1:15. Looking forward to the reviews going down a little.

Read the kanji: Time = 1:29. The site seemed to be working a lot better today than yesterday. A whole bunch of new words came up. Yesterday, it wasn’t working right at all and kept giving me words I already knew very well.

ANKI: Time = 2:24. I may need to reconsider some of my decks. I don’t want to spend my whole life reviewing.

Harry Potter
      Audio and reading at the same time: Time = 1:10. Now I’m finished with the English text and will go back to reading the Japanese next time. I was dreading the last chapter when Voldemort appears, but it wasn’t so bad this time. I usually listen on my iphone with earphones, but I took them out when I got to the last chapter and listened with the phone lying on the couch next to me and a blanket pulled over my head. It wasn’t so bad. Really.

Other reading: Time = 2:22. I started surfing the web yesterday, and one thing lead to another and suddenly over two hours had disappeared. Fortunately, I was surfing in Japanese.

Other listening: Time = 0:46. Erin went to the 温泉(hot spring) this time. It looked so nice. I miss Japan. I was only there once, a long time ago, but I still miss it. It’s full of gods and ghosts (I even saw one). And they have bathtubs! It’s mostly showers here. When I buy a house, it’s going to have a bathtub.

Writing: Time = 0:17 My trusty diary. I write faithfully, often in Japanese these days. The downside is that years from now when I try to read it, I will find it makes no sense whatsoever and wonder what I was going on about.

Grammar: Time = 0:32 Loads of fun. I’m up to だけで(は)なく。

Total for period: 10 hr, 14 min
Total since I started keeping track: 194 hr, 22 min

Good luck in the New Year to my fellow teammates, and everyone else doing TAC, as well as those just studying on their own, and of course those who are wasting their time reading this, when they could be studying.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6440 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 27 of 276
01 January 2012 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
航星日誌、宇宙暦 201201.01
日本語、それは最後の開拓地である。そこに は人類の想像を絶する新しい文法、新しい言 葉が待ち受けているに違いない。
これは、宇宙船チャイロノフクロウ号の驚異 に満ちた物語である。

Today starts TAC 2012. Ready. Set. Go.

I thought I’d list up a few very specific goals for this year as an addition to what I wrote about goals on page one.

Kanji
1) Finish RTK3 preferably before July. (Learn about 40 kanji per week.)
2) Go through all decks on Read the Kanji by about the end of September, if possible. (This is dependent on them fixing their review algorithm reasonably quickly. They are aware of the problem and are working on it and are supposed to send me an e-mail when it’s fixed.)

Grammar
3) I’d like to finish all 3 of the grammar dictionaries. Lately I’ve been going rather slowly because of trying to make example cards in ANKI, but I might try to read ahead because making cards will take forever. I think I’d like to go through each dictionary in about 3 months. That way I know “everything” by the end of September. Summer vacation and traveling may make me extend that to the end of October. We’ll see.

LR
4) Do all Harry Potter books if I can get them. Also a few things that can be gotten free on the net, like Sherlock Holmes and classic Japanese literature. The classic literature might have to wait a while. I think I’ll need a reasonably high level before I can attempt it, but hopefully in the last third or quarter of the year, I will be there.

Reading
5) In addition to LR, I will try to read things of interest to me that I find on the net. I’d also like to get at least one real Japanese novel, but that will also have to wait for near the end of the year. I haven’t really quantified this, but I will try for a few hours a week.

Listening
6) This is also hard to quantify. I will of course, listen to audiobooks as a part of LR. I am also looking for some podcasts that would interest me and that I could listen to every week, but so far I haven’t found any. Occasionally I also listen to the news, but it’s a little boring usually. Maybe it will be better when I understand more. I also have a pile of movies, mostly anime, which I will try to watch during the course of the year. So that’s 13 movies, about one per month. I will also finish the listening portion of Erin, but that’s easy. I should probably finish that in January.

Textbook
7) I do have a textbook I could use. It’s supposedly advanced, though I’m not sure I agree. I’m a little tired of textbooks at the moment. So I haven’t completely decided on this on yet.

Other
8) I will try to keep up my ANKI reviews and make new cards throughout the year, but no specific numbers on this. I write my diary in a variety of languages, but Japanese comes up regularly and I will continue to write throughout the year. I may also try lang-8 which everyone seems to like so much, but I feel I need to improve a bit more first before I dare. I might also try writing some of this log in Japanese. I have no opportunity of speaking except to myself. I can’t use Skype because my internet connection is too unstable. Lastly, if I stumble across anything fun and useful, it will probably be added.

Note that most of my learning goals (learning new kanji, learning new grammar, etc) are to be completed by the end of September. This is to give me the last quarter of the year to concentrate on using the language and solidifying my knowledge before adding a new language in 2013.

And finally, to keep track of everything, I bought a stopwatch. It has four “channels,” so if I switch back and forth between activities, as I often do, I don’t have to write down the times each time.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4868 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 28 of 276
01 January 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Hmm... You've got some nice resources!
I don't understand what do you mean by "I may also try lang-8 which everyone seems to like so much, but I feel I need to improve a bit more first before I dare." I wrote a Japanese entry there with such a knowledge which can't be compared to yours in case you get the gist of the novels. So if I were you, I'd rather start writing some errorous entries at lang-8.com.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4856 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 29 of 276
02 January 2012 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Good luck!! I am interested in seeing how all that LR method pays off for you :)

I too wish to use lang 8 in the future, but i never feel ready. Eventually though i will just have to man up and accept that i am prone to many mistakes lol.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6440 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 30 of 276
02 January 2012 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
Hmm... You've got some nice resources!
I don't understand what do you mean by "I may also try lang-8 which everyone seems to like so much, but I feel I need to improve a bit more first before I dare." I wrote a Japanese entry there with such a knowledge which can't be compared to yours in case you get the gist of the novels. So if I were you, I'd rather start writing some erroneous entries at lang-8.com.

I think it is perhaps more of a self-confidence thing than anything else. But someday soon, I will take a look at the site to see how it works and maybe sign up.

As for getting the gist of things, well, a few days ago, I was reading a book review on Asahi.com because I thought maybe I should get some ideas about what kind of native Japanese books I might like. I think it is always hard to figure out what I might like in another language. Anyway, I was reading a review and couldn't make any sense of it. The reviewer kept using this one word (a single kanji) again and again and it didn't make any sense, even though I have seen the word before and knew some of its meanings. So, I struggled through the article, getting rather annoyed at the reviewer (doesn't she know any other words?!) and in the end thought I'd gotten the gist of it in spite of that annoying, confusing, impossible-to-understand word. Yesterday, I decided to have a look at that review again, and suddenly it dawned on me -- that word was the name of the main character in the book! This time, I was able to read the review rather quickly since I'd already read it before and now was also able to make sense of that mysterious word. Well, I found that I'd quite gotten the wrong end of the stick the first time. But the second time, I found it easy and interesting. I've got to watch out for those names.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5945 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 31 of 276
02 January 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
Yeah, the names can be pretty brutal in Japanese.

I've used lang-8 myself, and it's pretty handy, though it can be very humbling. I'll write something, and think this is so simple and there couldn't be anything wrong, and yet some guy always re-writes it all in a more natural way.   

There is a vast amount of confused and unnatural Japanese on lang-8, so don't worry. This is what it's for, really. Sign up and just write a single sentence. You'll see how incredibly useful this is, especially if you don't have a teacher to grade your writing.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6440 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 32 of 276
02 January 2012 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
Japan is one of the few countries that can make Norway look inexpensive. Next time, I will learn a cheap language!

Books are indeed expensive! I don't know how people can afford all the reading necessary to prepare for the N2/N1 levels! There used to be a great bookstore called "BeNippon" where you had the option of finding used Japanese books at a great price! unfortunately they shut down after the Sendai earthquake. I'm also now searching around for some books + audio, but I'm still reviewing so I'm not in a hurry.

良いお年を - Have a good New Year!

Yes, I saw that BeNippon had disappeared. It's too bad. I'm thinking of trying YesAsia. Some of the prices at least seem reasonable. And it looks like shipping is free in some cases.

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version