brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 225 of 276
03 December 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I enjoy your log, and it's fun to read about Norway seen from the perspective of a non-Norwegian. You probably do not give much though to that aspect of your log, but I do find a gem here now and then in that respect :-)

That's nice. I was just very surprised. You are such a central figure on HTLAL that it felt like having the Queen come for a visit :) I like reading your log too, but I haven't been reading any logs this past month or two, so now I'm trying to catch up on all my favorites.

Norway is the best! However, the food could be a bit better. A lot of vegetables are either not fresh or not available at all. It's getting better though.

The weather can be a bit annoying too at times. I would like the summer to be about 18-20 C and cloudy, but it usually seems to be either raining or sunny, and when it's sunny in Norway, you just can't get away from it. The sun is so low in the sky that it shines on you all the time. I just need to learn to deal with bad weather (like sunshine). The problem is that the expression "there's no bad weather, only bad clothes," doesn't fit too well when sun is the problem. There is only so much you can take off, and I don't really like to take any of it off. I would be perfectly happy in long sleeves all year round. I probably should have moved to Iceland instead :)

All in all though, I don't think you could find a better country to call home. It's almost too bad though. I've always found being in a foreign country or at least being surrounded by foreigners to be easier. I've always been very strange, which I now know is due to autism. But since foreigners are expected to be weird, I can get away with it when I'm "foreign." The communication problems associated with autism are less noticeable because everyone has communication problems in a foreign language. So you can't really be expected to understand sarcasm or figurative expressions and leaving things out or jumbling them up is also normal. And since foreigners always have strange customs and habits, one can behave quite oddly without anyone suspecting anything. But now I've been in Norway long enough to be assimilated, so I can't get away with that anymore. But it's such a great place I don't want to leave, so I'll have to just be a weirdo.

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 226 of 276
03 December 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
You actually made me blush there. Not an easy thing to do, that. I am happy you like Norway, but you must
be the first person I have heard of who complain about too much sun in Norway:-) You must be happy
today then, down here we have 14 degrees below zero, and I guess you have similar temperatures where
you live. Granted it is sunny today, but I doubt that you feel like taking off any clothes. I went out for 10
minutes, and wore four layers of clothes.

Are you fluent in Norwegian by now, or are you still learning?

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 227 of 276
03 December 2012 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
I think I'm fairly fluent, though if I first make a mistake, I get rather tongue-tied after that. And some people make me nervous and tongue-tied to begin with. And of course, there are good days and bad days.

I don't think I usually make a lot of mistakes, but one thing I tend to do is to use the wrong gender when I'm referring back to something. I'll use the the right gender the first time, but when I refer back to it in a later sentence, I'll sometimes use the wrong pronoun (det vs den). My accent is apparently good enough that people don't usually guess that I'm an American, but it doesn't usually take them long to guess that I'm a foreigner. And in any language, even English, I'm generally better at reading and writing than speaking and listening. I doubt that my Norwegian will ever be as good as your English though. And lately I haven't been using Norwegian at all except for my weekly therapy sessions and the occasional "just looking" at a store. So my fluency is suffering a bit. I've been thinking that I should probably try to use it a little more.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 228 of 276
03 December 2012 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Two murders and no suspects. This is getting exciting.

(Don't worry; it's just a book. And I can read it! That's even more exciting.)

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4684 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 229 of 276
03 December 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Jeg trodde at noe hadde gått fryktelig galt i Steinkjer et øyeblikk der. :p

Hvilken bok er det?

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 230 of 276
03 December 2012 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Og det ene var i et låst rom selvfølgelig.

Den heter 三毛猫ホームズの推理 av 赤川次郎. Siden han har skrevet over 500 bøker, tenkte jeg at jeg får mye å lese hvis jeg liker ham. Den er egentlig ikke vanskelig å lese heller. Noen ganger leser jeg to sider på strekk uten å slå opp et eneste ord. Det er ikke at jeg kan alle ordene, men jeg skjønner historien uten å slå dem opp. Så hender det at det stopper opp og jeg må slå opp flere ord før jeg kommer i gang igjen. Men jeg synes at det er et akkurat passe nivå.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 03 December 2012 at 3:49pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 231 of 276
04 December 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
I've discovered an unexpected danger with reading murder mysteries in Japanese: I read so slowly that the actual murders are stretched out over a longer period of time than they would be in English or Norwegian. So, there I am. I know this person is about to be killed. I've got my hand over my mouth, my heart racing. And it takes 15 minutes before they're dead. I can't handle that kind of suspense. My poor heart.

And for an update: I've read about 1/3 of the book. There are now three people dead and still no suspects. Fortunately, the detective now has a cat to help him solve the case.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 232 of 276
05 December 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
... So, there I am. I know this person is about to be killed. I've got my hand over my mouth, my heart racing. And it takes 15 minutes before they're dead. I can't handle that kind of suspense. My poor heart.

LOL XD
If you were at my level, you'd be looking up so many things that you'd give up or you'd be asking your friends so often that they'd probably read it themselves and spoil it for you. What's good for your heart may be BAD for your learning! You can only choose one ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 05 December 2012 at 11:17am

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version