lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4684 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 249 of 276
12 December 2012 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps you should contact the police?

It's not like they'll do anything worthwhile, though...

Edited by stifa on 12 December 2012 at 2:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 250 of 276
12 December 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently considering Norway as an option to move in for a while --one of those crazy ideas you get sometimes-- so please excuse me if I dwell on this.

I generally see (or saw) the Police as people who are there to help me (well, not just me, you know), not something useless. How general is that view there?

I'm a fearless DIY enthusiast (and I'm good at it). Would it be OK if after waiting so much I fixed everything myself? Could I get that discounted from the rent somehow? Would it be necessary to sue? How often does that happen?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 251 of 276
12 December 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I'm currently considering Norway as an option to move in for a while --one of those
crazy ideas you get sometimes-- so please excuse me if I dwell on this.

I generally see (or saw) the Police as people who are there to help me (well, not just me, you know), not
something useless. How general is that view there?

I'm a fearless DIY enthusiast (and I'm good at it). Would it be OK if after waiting so much I fixed everything
myself? Could I get that discounted from the rent somehow? Would it be necessary to sue? How often does
that happen?

Mmm. I like the idea!

The Police are there to help, but they are hopelessly understaffed, so they would not turn up for something
like this in a million years. (Would they anywhere else?)

I guess the thing to do for a DIY enthusiast would be to buy it, install it, and send the receipts to the owner,
who normally would just pay up. Since I have 25 thumbs, I would probably have waited and hoped like Brun
Ugle does, though.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 252 of 276
12 December 2012 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
We once lived at a place in Sparbu that was mainly built by the owners and one day the metal pipe that connects the wood stove to the chimney fell down. We felt a little suspicious about the quality of their workmanship and called the fire department and they sent someone to check. He found all kinds of problems and they were made to have a professional fix everything.

If you are renting, I think it is a good idea to talk to the landlord before fixing anything, but you might be allowed to do it, assuming you know what you are doing and it's something he would like having done. Fixing something that is broken would probably be OK, but he might not like you putting in a bay-window for example.

Actually, most people in Norway own their own homes, so in some places, like around here, it can be hard to find a place to rent. I will probably buy a place at some point, but first I should have a job. I also want to save up some more money.

Do come to Norway, at least for a while. It is a fantastic country!

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 253 of 276
12 December 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I'm currently considering Norway as an option to move in for a while

To work or to study?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 254 of 276
12 December 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
...an option to move in for a while...

To work or to study?
I'm afraid I'm too old to fake being a normal student anymore, so to work -- why, you have any job offers already? ;)

Brun Ugle wrote:
... I think it is a good idea to talk to the landlord before fixing anything...
Of course, but I said 'after waiting' -- I assume you only wait for the landlord to fix stuff you've previously brought to his attention

Quote:
...you might be allowed to do it, assuming you know what you are doing...
Ignorance is daring. I don't know how ignorant I still am, but I'm not as daring as I used to be. I only let myself into things I have a pretty good idea about. That, or I acquire new skills beforehand*.

Quote:
Fixing something that is broken would probably be OK, but he might not like you putting in a bay-window for example.
"I am not an architect, but I know something about architecture. This wall has to go. It's not a load-bearing one, trust me..." :)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Mmm. I like the idea!

Which one? ;)

Quote:
The Police ... are hopelessly understaffed, so they would not turn up for something like this in a million years. (Would they anywhere else?)
Oh I don't think so, but in some places they wouldn't even be willing to listen, and I take such attitudes very seriously when considering where to live even if for a short period. Call it one of my quirks, like knowing that food has gone through health controls and such...

Quote:
... send the receipts to the owner, who normally would just pay up.
So reasonable people are not the exception there? +1000 points :)

Quote:
Since I have 25 thumbs, I would probably have waited and hoped
Oh, come on. I have no talent for DIY more than I have a talent for languages. If you're not sure how to do something, do a little research and practice a bit and you're better than most untrained monkeys, er, I mean... people. Not to toot my own horn, but this is me doing DIY electronics (something only tangent to my studies) and this is me stitching and sewing. If you think the hand stitching is crude even for a prototype, well, it is. But after a little practice with needles and thimbles, and the sewing machine, I can tell you my new sleeve/bags are as good as anything you can buy, or better. Pictures to prove it coming soon... and good pictures to prove I can take pictures coming *much* later ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 12 December 2012 at 7:43pm

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5264 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 255 of 276
12 December 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I'm afraid I'm too old to fake being a normal student anymore, so to work -- why, you have any
job offers already? ;)

No, I'm just curious. :-)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 256 of 276
13 December 2012 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
@mrwarper: Do we have a new recruit for the Scandinavian team? Do you remember the freshness of a new
crisp language?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version