Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 121 of 333
22 June 2012 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Luai Lashire, 日本語で返事してくれてありがとうございま す。実は、私もLang-8などあまり使っていない ですけど、書くのは話すのより少し弱くなっ たので、どうにか練習しなければならないと 思います。

需要があったら、このログをときどき日本語 で書こうと思います。

The main reason I tend stick to English is because the number of intermediate/advanced learners and native speakers of Japanese on this forum are quite low, so I really didn't expect anybody to really read and respond to my Japanese (so when Luai Lashire replied I was surprised but very happy!).

I don't expect any corrections here for the same reason, but feedback is really important to me, which is why, in theory, I prefer writing in Japanese on Lang-8. Also, as an intermediate learner, I also wouldn't be comfortable correcting anybody else's Japanese on this forum.

But if people want to interact a bit in Japanese on the logs here, I really like the idea of using some Japanese in my log. And I clearly need the practice.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 122 of 333
23 June 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
試験までは1週間だけです。どうしようと悩 んでいます。

It’s just 1 week until the exam and I am wondering what to do. For the past two weeks I haven’t really done any formal textbook study at all. I have had my weekly online one to one class, focussing on some listening drills, and in my spare time I’ve just been watching Japanese TV shows and reading children’s books and manga. I’ve had a very heavy two weeks at work which has been mentally taxing as well as time consuming, so most evenings I was so tired that I think even if I had pulled out the textbooks I would have just been looking at the pages rather than actually learning anything.

Hopefully next week will be a bit easier at the office but I’m not really sure about how best to spend any study time. I’m pretty sure that I have reached the right level to have a good chance at the N3 and I am more concerned about how I will react to the pressure of the exam room (having not sat an exam since 2003) than I am about the test content. I doubt I will learn anything new over the next seven days which will make much of a difference to the outcome of the test, however I still feel like I should be doing something. I should probably just pull out the drill books again for some last minute practice but I learned from experience a few weeks ago that too many test drills end up counterproductive, especially if I don’t balance them out with using the language. So perhaps carrying on watching a few TV shows and reading some manga isn’t such a bad idea.

If anybody else has experience of preparing for a JLPT exam, I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 123 of 333
26 June 2012 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
I think so far this year most of my gains have been made in listening and speaking, which has been absolutely brilliant, but I am starting to feel like my reading and writing are now lagging behind. I guess I am always going to feel like I'm only as good as my weakest skill, so I am thinking about making a proper summer project for building up my reading ability. I would love to be able to finish this year's TAC at a level where I can read contemporary novels, magazine articles and newspaper articles with some degree of confidence (bonus points if I can then discuss what I've read with confidence with native speakers). I guess that would take me from my current B1-ish level up to a B2, which would be a nice place to be.

For the next month or so, I am intending to make regular kanji study a part of my routine again and am aiming to spend around an hour a day studying with Kanji in Context (this time is to include any Anki reviews). I have resurrected the Kanji in Context decks I made in January this year, where I got up to chapter five. It was surprisingly easy to get through the decks - taking me just a couple of hours to power through over 1000 cards, sending most of them off several months into the future and keeping back just a couple of dozen troublesome ones. I am hoping that by counting time on task, rather than numbers of characters, words or chapters, will help me to stay focused on making another dent in the kanji mountain without feeling too overwhelmed. But I also hope that an hour a day will also provide a healthy limit. Too much time on kanji and not enough time on anything else will not help my reading overall.

Apart from that, I think all I can really do to bring my reading up is to continue with very slow but steady study of my N2 grammar book, continue recording and studying interesting vocab and sample sentences that I pick up from various sources, do some intensive study of short articles, and take the reading part of the Super Challenge a bit more seriously (100 pages every 6 days?). If I manage all that, getting good at reading should be easy.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 124 of 333
01 July 2012 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Well I'm sat in my hotel room in London waiting for it to become a sensible enough time to head over to SOAS to sit the exam. Just tried to get a bit of last minute practice in with some reading and listening test questions. The idea was to just warm myself up a bit but I ended up just making myself nervous. So now I'm just sat here twiddling my thumbs, listening to a podcast of a radio show and wondering why on earth I signed up to do this exam anyway :-)

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4512 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 125 of 333
01 July 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
I'd enjoy a little smalltalk in Japanese here, but this forum is pretty bad for that. Corrupted characters, randomly inserted space.. really sucks the fun out of it.
いつか修理されるかもしれませんが、今のま ま、会話は無理そうです、このフォーラムで 。

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 126 of 333
01 July 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
You're probably already taking your test but good luck :-) . Its 5am here so I'm running off to work.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 127 of 333
01 July 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks kraemder! I'm all done now. No nasty surprises on the test although I was a bit disappointed by my performance on the reading section. Some of the questions required quite a bit of concentration to answer at a point where my energy was flagging and I struggled to stay focussed. Hopefully I still did well enough to pull myself through. I'll make sure to have a bigger lunch before I do the N2 :-)

Going to go and treat myself to some decent Chinese food now and forget that I know Japanese for the evening.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 128 of 333
01 July 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Glad it sounds like you did well.

This discussion contains 333 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version