Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 33 of 333
12 January 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
Yes I ordered from amazon.jp. Delivery times are pretty good, they always send by airmail so it only takes around three days. But the charges are extortionate! I either order several things at once, which makes it a bit more cost effective, or convince a fellow learner to go halves on the delivery and order together. Given the huge mark up on Japanese books in UK shops, and the relative cheapness of books in Japan, I find if I order in bulk there's not much difference in cost.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5896 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 34 of 333
12 January 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info! I'll make sure to order more than one item if I decide to buy from them. Given how I love books, that won't be too hard!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 35 of 333
14 January 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
I had a good Skype exchange last Sunday and then a couple of days ago managed to get my first face-to-face language exchange, which was very exciting. My textbook studies have tapered off a bit but to be honest, as long as I am getting regular use of my Japanese through things like language exchange and tadoku, I'm not too worried, I'm just really excited about being able to actually use the language!

I've decided to drop Basic Kanji Book and kanji handwriting practice because for now I am finding it time consuming and the returns are small (it's not helping me to read any better by learning to write characters I can already recognise). I am returning to the old beast of Kanji in Context plus Anki to try and develop my basis for reading better, but I want to make sure this stays a very small part of my studies. And I really need to do some more tadoku, I've been flagging on that a bit towards the end of this week.

I want to focus my studies more on the spoken language anyway, so I can take full advantage of the language exchange opportunities which have been coming my way recently. For now this seems to mean a combination of audio drills, shadowing and repeating dialogues from either JfBP or JapanesePod101, and doing self-talk. Just to make sure I'm fully prepared to make a fool of myself in conversation with a native speaker!

Actually, I'm feeling more motivated than ever to get my Japanese in order. I just wish there were more hours in the day to do it!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 36 of 333
15 January 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
I wanted to ask you something: How many books do you usually order from Amazon at one time? I've been thinking the same thing, that if I'm going to order from them, I should order a lot at once because of the shipping. They seem to have a fixed rate for shipping, but I'm sure if I went really crazy, they would have to increase the price.

YesAsia has somewhat more reasonable prices usually since the shipping is free when you spend over US$40. The prices of the books look higher than on Amazon, but when you factor in the ¥300 that Amazon adds to each book, they are actually about the same. So yesAsia is cheaper overall since they don't have any additional shipping charges over that. However, the selection is more limited, so if you have a somewhat unusual book you just have to have, you will probably have to go to Amazon anyway.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 15 January 2012 at 9:43am

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 37 of 333
15 January 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Yes there is a fixed rate for shipping from amazon plus the ¥300 handling charge for books. If I order I always spend a minimum of £100, which depending on the books and the exchange rate will get me around 8-10 books.

At least I don't have to pay import duty on books. Otherwise I think it would become prohibitively expensive.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 38 of 333
15 January 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Fortunately books are duty- and VAT-free here in Norway too. Unfortunately DVD's are duty-free but not VAT-free. And anything over 200NOK including shipping gets 25% VAT added on. And 200NOK is a ridiculously small amount. There is almost nothing that can be bought for that amount.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 39 of 333
17 January 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
I have a question for you since you are further along in your studies than I am. Do you find the better you get at reading Japanese, the better your spoken Japanese becomes as well?

also I hope anki works well for you this time!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 40 of 333
17 January 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
No, at this stage I haven't really noticed a link between speaking and reading Japanese. I find the more I read, the better I get at reading, and the more I speak, the better I get at speaking.

This discussion contains 333 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version