Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 257 of 333
09 October 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
I love Mariokart! I've only played it a couple of times when I was with my great niece in the US. She loved it too because she always came in 4th or better and I always came in 11th or 12th.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 258 of 333
09 October 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
I think Mariokart is the best game for people who don't normally like computer games (people like me!)

I now have the complete set of Kanzen Master N2 books. So much for not buying too many books for the test. Well, at least I don't think I'll need to buy any more books for N2. It was the kanji book which completed my collection. I was resisting it for so long because I already own a couple of "methods" but the problem is that I'm now struggling with taking a systematic approach to kanji. Actually, I've been struggling with that for a long time, which is why although I felt I owned kanji for the N3 test, I have no confidence in the kanji section for N2 (was hoping to make up my score on vocab and grammar instead).

I guess back in the day I thought there was a distinct difference between "knowing" a kanji and "not knowing" a kanji. But now I find myself "knowing" most of the really common kanji (e.g. I can tell you an English meaning, the on/kun readings, common irregular readings and recognise/reproduce a number of compounds), definitely "not knowing" (i.e. can't even recognise in a common-ish word) most of N1 and some N2 level kanji, but then there are hundreds of other kanji which I half know. So I might be able to recognise it but not reproduce it. Or in some cases reproduce but not always recognise. I might know the on reading but not the kun reading. I might not really know what the kanji means, but still recognise it as one part of a particular compound. I might recognise the kanji in one compound, but not recognise it in another (even on the same page of text!) Basically, my old approach of kanji vocab lists + flashcards is not really helping because I find it hard to put my finger on where my weak points are for each kanji in this way. As soon as I look at the list I'm putting some information back in my short term memory, so it's a difficult format to test yourself with. Plus going through a list of 1000 or so kanji for N2 level, with maybe 2-6 example words per kanji, is overwhelming to the point that I just can't get on with it. I end up going through the hundred or so most common kanji at the start of the list over and over and over again...

Anyway, assuming that I know a third of N2 kanji very well, half know another third and don't know the final third at all, I wonder if it might be more helpful to just work through practice questions. I'll find out my weak spots through getting answers wrong and can then focus on these. Which is why I cracked and bought yet another kanji book.

The Kanzen Master book does have an interesting format though. It looks like it will probably be more useful as a revision book. There are 53 sections of practice questions. And I have 54 days before the test, so I guess I'd better get on with it.

Oh, and some of the practice questions are dictation! The nerdy schoolgirl inside me is jumping for joy!

Edited by g-bod on 09 October 2012 at 7:07pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 259 of 333
09 October 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm a bit the same way with knowing/not knowing words and kanji. Sometimes I'll see a word and feel like I should know it, but somehow I can't remember. Then I'll see it further down the page and think -- I know that. Why can't I remember how to say it?! Then I see it a third time and it seems so obvious that I can't understand how I didn't know it the first two times.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 260 of 333
09 October 2012 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that happens to me too! And then the next week I see the same word again and I've forgotten it again completely!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 261 of 333
09 October 2012 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
The dictation exercises are fantastic. It's really forcing me to think about the language and is probably good listening practice as well as kanji practice. So far only one kanji gave me real trouble, as I completely forgot how to write the 聿 part of 建 and somehow replaced it with 車 instead. Oops.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 262 of 333
10 October 2012 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Yes, that happens to me too! And then the next week I see the same word again and I've forgotten it again completely!

I don't necessarily forget it again. What I'm talking about is words I really do know well and perhaps even see almost every day, but suddenly I don't know them anymore for a while. I think what happens is that I keep putting new information into my head and sometimes the old stuff gets lost under the pile. I do the same thing in my apartment. I'll put things down and move things around, usually putting them in very "obvious," "clever" places. Then a week or so later, I'll be looking for something and I can't find it anywhere. "Where is that paper?! I had it right here last week!" I guess I'm just as messy on the inside of my head as on the outside. But eventually the mess will get sorted out. I hope. Although, I lose words a good bit in Norwegian too, but that's only in the active direction. I always know them in the passive direction, assuming I knew them in the first place.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 263 of 333
14 October 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
I get that a lot with my flashcard decks. I get a word that I've known for a while but well probably don't use so
much or whatever and I get it wrong when I test myself. I chalk it up to not being focused but then there's
plenty of other words I get right despite not being focused too.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 264 of 333
14 October 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
It seems I'm having yet another week where my motivation to study is somewhat low. At times like this I start to wonder what I'm really interested in - is it learning languages, or just the idea of learning languages. When I'm spending too much time on HTLAL or shopping (or browsing) for more textbooks I don't really need, I think the latter is certainly the case. I should find something else to do at times like this, I'm sure my languages will wait for me to be more interested in them again!

This discussion contains 333 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version