United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 193 of 333
27 August 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I see you've given up the Super Challenge and will read and watch things at your leisure instead. What? Is 100 books and 100 movies in 20 months not leisurely enough for you?! ;)

Haha I guess I'm just not that inspired by counting pages after all! I'm just trying to give myself smaller goals that are achievable in the short term instead so I don't lose steam as quickly.

I'm taking a tactical decision not to worry too much about writing kanji at the moment. As long as my kana and knowledge of very common kanji remain sharp enough for me to take notes as and when I need to, I'm not too bothered about the rest, unless I need a little help distinguishing between similar characters (for which writing seems to be a good solution).

I totally need to write more though. My regular practice partner is very helpful at correcting my writing and it is very useful practice.

Your reference to Donald Duck has reminded me, I still have a couple of volumes of よつばと to read. That has to be as blissful as extensive reading gets for me right now.

By the way, I'm impressed you actually read my last post, it was a monster!
1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4859 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 194 of 333
28 August 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
totally need to write more

Do you make kanji errors like writing 爱 instead of 愛, I wonder?

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 195 of 333
28 August 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
If you are talking about handwriting, I only write the kanji I know how to write, so I use fewer kanji but make fewer mistakes. If I write using a PC IME I use more kanji, but sometimes make stupid mistakes with homophones, usually through carelessness.

As for the example you gave, I don't recognise the character 爱. It's not on the offline dictionary on my phone and I can't seem to access jisho to check. In the case of 愛, to be honest I would struggle to remember how to reproduce it by hand. I'd hope I could use it correctly when writing with a computer however.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 196 of 333
28 August 2012 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
I don't recognize that kanji either. It's not in midori. Is it a honest to god authentic Chinese character? Heh. I
cold see him making the point that ou make small mistakes on the kanjis while writing maybe. 愛 is one of
my personal favorite kanjis - I just think it looks cool so I've learned to write it pretty well (but my kanji never
look as good as when Japanese people write them!)

From my experience with German I did a lot of reading and and didn't lookup words so much. I think I
reached a point where I stopped learning words rough through sheer repetition because I learned all the
more common words. I didn't try to take it to the next level which I think would mean using flashcards if not
spaced repetition. I'm pretty ok with that. I just enjoyed reading and watching movies in the language. If I
went back to it I for real I suppose I'd try to force more vocabulary though.

You can look at my log but I've shunned spaced repetition in favor of just leitner. No due dates heh. No guilt
either. It's more fun. But maybe not as effective.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 197 of 333
28 August 2012 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
Well if you measure effectiveness as return for time on task, I'm not sure SRS is all that effective either. If you're regularly adding 20+ cards a day, over time the review time mounts up. It certainly seems the 'safest' approach if you have to guarantee memorization of something, but you end up clocking up a lot of time that could be spent on other things.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4859 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 198 of 333
28 August 2012 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
That's what came to mind reading your blog:

g-bod wrote:
SRS [...] reasonable solution [...] remember [...] JLPT blogs [...] common approach.

SRS forces one to remember everything. Why remember stuff that comes up almost never? Why not meet Japanese stuff in a variety of topics instead? Sounds better to me...
Common approach only means that an average folk (e.g. not an outstandingly successful, clever or what not person) thinks that it's the right way to do.

g-bod wrote:
I have [...] perfectionism [...] of "I must learn ALL the words!"

If you really want to use Anki I suggest you click for greater periods of time than you'd usually do (say, choosing to come up in 4 days instead of 1), at least by new cards because one's memory is much better than one'd think, at least that's the case with me (and you could probably call me perfectionist, if you want, even though I lost some of my abilities regarding how to achieve stuff).

You could choose to be perfect not in remembering everything but in doing stuff the funnest way to do, so generally enjoying life to its fullest possible, being able to say that you had the most perfect life you could make out of it. For me, learning new stuff while doing stuff I generally enjoy (say, learning new characters, words and idioms from the subs of anime) is more enjoyable than learning by using Anki. (I don't know how you do, but I first only wrote the characters, then when I felt I could write most of them, I tried to remember them and what not.)

Perfectionism be sicky? Well, it seems like a valuable sickness then. (Although I don't know if you meant that the Anki kind of perfectionism be sicky or perfectionism in general.)

g-bod wrote:
German [...] avoided Anki

According to my insight, Anki can be completely avoided, no matter what the language is and what not. Just think of 100 years ago. Or, for a modern non-usage with great success, just think of Repiphany (an IRC guy having learned kanji by looking them up in a dictionary).

g-bod wrote:
I can recite certain words like a dictionary. But I still can't use them in proper grown-up sentences yet.

You need to try to use them in proper grown-up sentences in order to be able to use them in proper grown-up sentences. Just think of the many Chinese people being able to understand Mandarin with ease, but being practically unable to use Mandarin.

g-bod wrote:
I seem to have fallen for the Assimil method.

It sounds really intriguing to me! Seems a bit like Pimsleur. The fact that I could learn 3 language books for that money is turning me off, though... And ordering from Amazon is a great waste of money on shipping... Do you happen to have some ideas regarding how to solve it? I would be really pleased to try Assimil once... Maybe I'll ony be able to try it when I have a good job, hmm.

kraemder wrote:
I don't recognize that kanji either. It's not in midori. Is it a honest to god authentic Chinese character? Heh. I
cold see him making the point that ou make small mistakes on the kanjis while writing maybe. [...] I didn't try to take it to the next level which I think would mean using flashcards if not spaced repetition.

Sorry for not being clear, 爱 is the honest to easy writing (e.g. simplified) version of 愛, used in Mainland China. And yeah, you found out my point.

I wouldn't think spaced repetition, making notes or anything like that necessary for taking your German to the next level. I particularly consider reading some German high school books being the necessary step. At least I acquired most of my advanced Hungarian through the textbooks I read (sorry for having watched little TV and almost no advanced non-school-textbook literature through my life). I say you should read high school textbooks for the reason that they contain more or less everything learned in primary school that's needed for advanced lingual knowledge, but with a nice compressed feature (or is high school just relearning stuff with a slightly different point of view, I wonder).

Edited by Takato on 28 August 2012 at 3:36am

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 199 of 333
28 August 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Assimil is nothing like Pimsleur. It actually explains grammar and usage and covers a lot more vocab. It is more useful for me right now than struggling through a native book I can barely understand. I can learn more from half an hour with Assimil than I can from half an hour with Harry Potter at my present level. I bought my copy from Book Depository as they do free shipping to the UK.

And yeah, having a job is great for being able to afford stuff but the trade off is you have much less time to use the stuff in!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 200 of 333
28 August 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
@G-Bod: Do you mean you bought Assimil from the Book Depository? (or Harry Potter?).

And is this for Japanese or German (and what is the base language?). Thanks, and sorry to
interrupt the flow.

This discussion contains 333 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version