fortheo
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 17 of 333
05 January 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I seem to be stuck in a permanent revision cycle with beginner/upper beginner level textbooks. I think because I always judge myself on my weakest skill (speaking), I feel I haven't mastered everything so I can't move on. I just pick another book that teaches the same thing.

I do that too, but at a much lower level lol. There will always be one thing i think i can do better. So i go through yet another beginners book to try and beat those facts in. I guess we both need to bite the bullet and push forward. The challenge of new material will only help us learn more :)

good luck!!
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 18 of 333
07 January 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
@Takato I find context to be a bit of a strange thing really. Certainly it is very important because language is nothing without context, but at the same time I often find myself remembering the context but forgetting the details of the language. I agree that reading is very important though.

@Woodsei your suggestion for song lyrics is interesting. You know though, I am rubbish at remembering song lyrics! I'm fine at singing along to my favourite songs but as soon as I turn it off I forget what comes next. Perhaps I don't have a brain for languages after all... What are your favourite Japanese songs?

@fortheo, you are totally right, although I still haven't broken free from beginner books!!

I can't believe how big Team い is this year. It's a bit overwhelming but pretty inspiring too.

I've started keeping a paper diary with notes about what I do every day, so I can review at the end of the week and present some kind of an update here (and maybe trigger my own memory about something interesting I may have studied).

I have covered up to lesson 5 in Assimil for French. I also dragged my husband to the local independent cinema this week to see a silly French film, Les Emotifs Anonymes. I have tried to pick up French again on a number of occasions these past three years and each time I get 3 or 4 days in and start to feel guilty about not spending time on Japanese instead. I've reached that critical point now, so I really have to try and make the conscious decision to push through this time, I just keep telling myself that it's only 20 minutes a day. My overall goals for the year with French are pretty modest (considering I do have some background in the language already). I want to complete Assimil and then move on to native materials and I want to end 2012 reading contemporary French novels. For now my main gripe with the French language is the insistence on attaching a gender to every noun, but I'm sure I'll get over it!

Tadoku is going reasonably well. After having quite a break from reading prose, I decided to ease myself in by going back to Level 3 of the Japanese Graded Readers. They have been a lot easier to understand this time around and I noticed that a lot of the grammar points I covered in class before Christmas were used quite liberally. I have also finished off volume 7 of Yotsubato! and having been reading volume 2 of Crayon Shin Chan.

I made a strong start this week with my textbooks although trailed off towards the end. I have revised the pronunciation chapter and half of the first chapter of Japanese: The Spoken Language and am halfway through Chapter 9 of JfBP II and Chapter 24 of BKB.

I got my first Skype exchange of the year on Wednesday which went ok but I was still suffering with this annoying cough which was quite disruptive.

I also started using Arekkusu's self-talk exercise in preparation for another Skype exchange I have planned for tomorrow. After getting over the initial shock of talking out loud to myself (I hate the sound of my own voice), I started to realise the value of it and am beginning to wonder why I didn't start doing this sooner. Plus it's something I can do while cleaning the house (with the occasional dash to check something in the dictionary!)

I haven't done my lang-8 post for the week yet but will update here with a link once it's done. There's nothing like a bit of accountability...

I've been rewatching some Tiger and Dragon, which has to be my favourite j-drama, although I still need subs to follow it. I have been looking at the list of upcoming j-dramas and think I might have a go at following one (so no subs!)

As part of my new year's resolution to "relax and enjoy myself" I am forcing myself to take a break from language study one day a week. Although this week was kind of cheating because I used that day to take my husband to the cinema... but I didn't touch textbooks, or Anki, or anything else and the whole point was really to spend time with my husband (while also hopefully cultivating a healthier attitude towards desk-based study).

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 19 of 333
07 January 2012 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
I find the same problem with learning things in context. I have sentences in Anki and such, but sometimes I find I'm depending on the rest of the sentence to remind me of the word. Then when I see it another place, I still don't know it. The clue for me has been to have more than one sentence with the word.

I don't know anything about French, but Norwegian also has genders. I had studied some Spanish before, and there the genders are easy because you can usually tell by how the word ends. So I thought Norwegian would be hard since you can't rely on that. However, I quickly found I was able to guess the gender of new words correctly. It turns out there is a sort of pattern to it, and I had probably figured out the pattern subconsciously. I doubt that many native speakers ever think about there being a pattern, but there is. It is partly based on word endings, but a lot more complicated than in Spanish, but there are also categories of words that usually fit into certain genders, like plants are usually masculine, names of trees are feminine and elements neuter, with many exceptions to all rules. Anyway, my point is, maybe there exists some sort of pattern for French as well. You might be able to find some grammar book that says, however I don't know that a native speaker would know it since they wouldn't need to. (Except maybe a French teacher)

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 20 of 333
07 January 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Yes, there are some rules for French gender. It's easiest to notice in spelling. I can't remember now where I read
the rules before, so unfortunately I don't know where to point you, but I'm sure if you look around you can find
something.

Good luck with your lang-8 goal.... I tried that several times and always totally failed, even with my log there to
hold me accountable. Maybe I will try it again now that I'm more advanced and feel like I can discuss many more
topics more freely.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5896 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 21 of 333
07 January 2012 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
oo, are we talking about French genders? I have something on word endings and genders if anyone is interested!

masculine word endings:
ège, -ail, -al, -eau, -ent, -et, -ier, -isme, -ment, -on, -oir, -age

"-age" has exceptions: la cage, une image, la nage, la page, la plage, la rage For these words -age is not really considered an "ending".

Other exceptions: la dent, la jument

feminine word endings:
-ade, aille, -aine, -aison, -ance, -eille, -elle, -ence, -esse, -ette, -eur, -ion, -ique, - ise, -son, -té, -tié, -ure

exceptions: le capitaine, un honneur, le labeur, le blouson, le côté, le traité, un été, le précipité

on the subject of writing, I really enjoyed having e-pals (I got mine from SharedTalk) but it was incredibly time-consuming work because they wrote every week. It was fun and I miss having the connection to another culture -- but I spent too much time with a translator and less time practicing the basics.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 22 of 333
07 January 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
I knew it! There's always some sort of logical pattern to be found if one looks hard enough.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 23 of 333
07 January 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
That's really helpful Sunja, thanks!

I do remember studying some of the "rules" of French genders when I did A level French but all I remember from that class is "le problème est masculin, mais la solution est feminine"!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 24 of 333
07 January 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Lang-8 post here - I did it!

This discussion contains 333 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version