atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4512 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 41 of 333
17 January 2012 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
getting practice on facebook helps, if you have a few japanese friends there. i discuss this and that every day, and the different topics and varying personalities of the people keep me on my toes. paying attention to the level of politeness is also fun, and living people add more living language to th pool of stuff you'll never see but learned from material designed 20 years ago. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

fortheo
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 42 of 333
18 January 2012 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
No, at this stage I haven't really noticed a link between speaking and reading Japanese. I find the more I read, the better I get at reading, and the more I speak, the better I get at speaking.

do you read out loud ?

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5896 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 43 of 333
18 January 2012 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Speaking is by far the fastest way to improve providing there's someone there to provide correction from time to time. It's difficult for me to find the time for partners right now so I read aloud. I think it helps. I had one English student once who swore by reading in front of the mirror! The only problem is that sometimes I become too concentrated on the technical aspect of reading that I don't know what it is I'm reading -- in which case I have to read it again^

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 44 of 333
18 January 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I don't find reading out loud to be helpful. My pronunciation becomes stilted and lacks fluency. But I do like working with dialogues where I have both audio and a script. That way I can focus on emulating the sounds of the recording and the script acts more as a prompt. In particular I have been using dialogues from Japanese for Busy People and JapanesePod101.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 45 of 333
20 January 2012 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
I feel in a bit of a strange place right now, it's been quite the come down since finishing my MSc before Christmas as I no longer have this big thing to direct my energy into. I started to transfer the feelings of obligation I had harboured towards uni work onto my Japanese project but this was really counterproductive. Turning my fun geeky hobby of learning Japanese into some kind of chore would be the worse thing I could do. I think I've got a grip on that now but I find myself feeling at a bit of a loose end a lot of the time whilst still not being particularly motivated to do anything and the net result is I'm feeling a bit down and a bit lost. I'm sure I'll get over it, it's just a bit weird that after spending so many months looking forward to "freedom" I now feel so strange having achieved it.

In terms of Japanese, I had a good start with a reasonably good language exchange on Sunday but this was followed by a couple of disappointing conversations during the week with other practice partners where I could barely string a sentence together in Japanese, or even understand what I was hearing. I feel like my energy, enthusiasm and confidence have taken a bit of a nosedive since then. I'm not really motivated to study or use the language at the moment which means I've worked myself back into the Anki trap where my only "contact" with the language is flashcard reviews, which just makes me feel even less motivated! Guess I need to get out of this rut somehow. For now I think I might just put Japanese down for a day or two and go and destroy Brahms on the piano instead...

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 46 of 333
23 January 2012 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
I finally got around to watching the Paradise Kiss movie yesterday. There were problems with the subs so I watched all but the first 10 minutes without them and I'm really glad I did. I was on quite the downer about my Japanese for most of the week but I think I did a reasonable job at following the dialogue without any support, which really improved my mood. I really didn't like how they changed the storyline for the movie, but the silver lining was that I could understand enough of what they changed to know that I didn't like it!

I also dipped into one of the intermediate JapanesePod101 lessons today, as I was trying to find some audio to back up a recently "discovered" grammar point. I thought it was going to be awful but again, I was surprised to find that I could follow most of the Japanese explanations in the podcast, although the dialogue will need some repeat listening but that's no bad thing.

I think the lesson I can take from this is, when you are stuck in a rut, do something different.

Speaking of something different, I'm going to have to prepare some coursework to hand in when the Japanese class starts back up in a couple of weeks time. That will be a first for me!

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 47 of 333
28 January 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Speaking practice is a strange thing. Some days I feel like I am really on form and feel happy with my progress, and yet other days I feel like a stammering idiot who is trying to use Japanese for the first time. I'm hoping over time the stammering idiot days will become fewer and I think I just have to remember my enthusiasm from the good days to keep me motivated through the bad ones.

I have been focusing more on my listening skills this week which I think is definitely a good thing. I have been using JapanesePod101 quite a bit and am plodding back through Japanese for Busy People but trying to focus mainly on shadowing the audio dialogues. It is definitely helping my listening comprehension in general at this stage, which I have been testing out by watching a couple of episodes of the drama Taiyou no Uta without subtitles. I haven't watched it before and have been pleasantly surprised at how much of the dialogue I can follow.

Listening and speaking are definitely the priorities for me at the moment but I have to say I feel a bit left out as I seem to be the only person on team い who is not trying to climb any kanji mountains at the moment.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 48 of 333
29 January 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
The stammering idiot days never disappear completely, but they do get fewer and fewer. Even in Norwegian, which I usually speak fluently, I have my stammering idiot days, usually when someone calls attention to something I happened to pronounce incorrectly, or my (very slight) accent. Then I get nervous, and things go downhill from there.

This discussion contains 333 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version