brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 25 of 333
07 January 2012 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

"le problème est masculin, mais la solution est feminine"!

Ha ha! I like that. Isn't that always the way it is?!
1 person has voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5639 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 26 of 333
07 January 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
8.com/60200/journals/1257288/%25E5%2586%25AC%25E3%2581%25AE% 25E9%25A2%25A8%25E9%2582%25AA">La
ng-8 post here
- I did it!

Good job! It looks like we are at similar levels, although there is some grammar you know that I don't and some I
know that you don't and so on and so forth.
I want to start writing similar little blurbs. I think what stopped me before was that I thought a composition had to
be some kind of huge long thing. If it's just a blurb it's far less intimidating!

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4859 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 27 of 333
08 January 2012 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
context [...] be [...] strange [...] I often find myself remembering the context but forgetting the details of the language.

Brun Ugle wrote:
[...]sentences in Anki[...]when I see it another place, I still don't know it. The clue for me has been to have more than one sentence with the word.

How come you can remember the context? As for pensar, the e sound changes to ie, I know. However, I can't remember the context I met it in. So I guess you misunderstood my concept or I did not explained it thoroughly enough. I didn't mean to learn from artificial sentences (by artificial I mean that they might have been uploaded to Anki by some random guy possessing bad qualitied brain, for example). I meant to learn from untouched native material.
These are native materials.
These are not.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 28 of 333
08 January 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Takato, yes I do use native materials, especially manga, but I find that if I know enough of the language to get the gist, I rarely remember the detail of the structure. In the case of Japanese, for example, I will simply forget the details of the particle that is used in a particular case. In extreme cases I might read and understand a story in Japanese, but be unable to retell it using Japanese. I agree that native materials are important but, at least for me, without additional deliberate study they are not enough.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6431 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 29 of 333
08 January 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
g-bod wrote:
context [...] be [...] strange [...] I often find myself remembering the context but forgetting the details of the language.

Brun Ugle wrote:
[...]sentences in Anki[...]when I see it another place, I still don't know it. The clue for me has been to have more than one sentence with the word.

How come you can remember the context? As for pensar, the e sound changes to ie, I know. However, I can't remember the context I met it in. So I guess you misunderstood my concept or I did not explained it thoroughly enough. I didn't mean to learn from artificial sentences (by artificial I mean that they might have been uploaded to Anki by some random guy possessing bad qualitied brain, for example). I meant to learn from untouched native material.
These are native materials.
These are not.

In my case, I was mostly thinking about Anki. If I only have one sentence for a certain vocabulary word, then I might only know it in that context. It is better for me to have several sentences. In reading, often the same words get repeated in different contexts and that is enough (I will never forget the words for witch, wizard or magic after reading Harry Potter, for example). However, reading can be difficult if one lacks the vocabulary, which is why I have to resort to using Anki to some extent. Also, some words are important, but not repeated that often. In this case, Anki is also useful. I do take my sentences from native sources.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4859 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 30 of 333
11 January 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
As for with Anki, do you learn faster if you use sentences on the cards rather than only the English and foreign word?

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5793 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 31 of 333
11 January 2012 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Japanese Cooking Challenge - Part 1

While I was busy being a part time student, my husband pretty much took over doing all of the cooking (lucky me). The thing is, I used to be a reasonably good cook but I have, to a certain extent, deskilled through lack of practice. But I don't want to lose precious Japanese study time to doing something as mundane as cooking dinner, right? And then I realised, I could learn to cook again using Japanese cookery books, killing two birds with one stone (or 一石二鳥).

So I bought myself this book and started tonight with the very first recipe. It was a really simple recipe, just a very basic pork stir fry with some cabbage and carrot. In fact, I was a bit worried it would be too bland due to the lack of ingredients but it actually turned out to be pretty good despite the simplicity of it.

I was intending to go through it in advance with a dictionary just to make sure I knew what I was doing, however I got too hungry before I even started so I just got stuck in and, fortunately, I could understand more than I thought I might. Lots of full colour pictures also helped! The book seems to have been written for people who have just moved out and suddenly need to fend for themselves and there is a lot of handholding in the instructions, which probably helped to cover gaps in my linguistic knowledge too.

I guess this means my Japanese studies just got hardcore, as I am even putting the possibility of having a good meal on the line!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5896 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 32 of 333
12 January 2012 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
I see you ordered from Amazon.jp! I've never ordered from them. How are the delivery times? That looks like a pretty good book!

edit: actually a thought just occurred to me that maybe you got it in England and you just found the picture at Amazon...   

Edited by Sunja on 12 January 2012 at 1:50pm

This discussion contains 333 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version