United States
Joined 5373 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 9 of 77
21 March 2012 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Monday-Friday:
Listen to the world news in Spanish and French (to keep up to date on world events)
1/2 hr of Turkish after breakfast, ironing getting ready for the gym and work
1/2 hr FSI/DLI French drills during commute
45 min of Russian Drills during morning gym workout
About 6 hours of podcasts in all my target languages (about 1 hr each) in the
background at work.
DLI/FSI drills (any language) on the Commute home, or foreign music if I want to relax
After Dinner
1/2 of Russian
20 min of French
1/2 of Portuguese

I only "loose" 1 hour a day studying. Multiple languages takes discipline and careful
planning. Chinese is my looooong term project that I touch on lightly for a few min a
day. I'm finally getting the hand of Russian, I can see it moving to the "speaks"
category in maybe 6 months.

Disclosure: My focus on each language is Oral production/comprehension and reading
comprehension. Writing takes a backseat, if I can write a quick email/letter I'm happy.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4700 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 10 of 77
21 March 2012 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
LatinoBoy84 wrote:

I only "loose" 1 hour a day studying. Multiple languages takes discipline and careful
planning.

I can see why. That is truly impressive.
1 person has voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 11 of 77
21 March 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Allow me to make a chess metaphor.
Enter chess players (language learners) playing chess (learning languages).

There are many levels to being a chess player.
Novice players benefit most from concentrated instruction or a directed exploration, such
as suits your personality.
Any novice can play a simultaneous match against 10 players. Only problem he'll probably
do terribly against all of them, and (I suspect) would neither learn much in the process,
nor enjoy the experience.

On the other hand there are some truly beast minds who'll play 10 players simultaneously
while playing Super Mario. They emerge victorious, refreshed, and possibly even wiser
about each players style. But even such as they rarely play several hard opponents at the
same time.

Most people fall somewhere in between.
Some like playing month long games by mail.
Some play short blitz matches, an opponent here or there.
Some find an opponent they can keep growing with and stick with it -- until they outgrow
or get bored.

Exit chess metaphor stage left.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 77
21 March 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
What a great metaphor! Much better than the dating one, imo.
Makes me remember The Twelve Chairs, hehe.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 77
21 March 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Gallo1801 wrote:
LatinoBoy84 wrote:
I only "loose" 1 hour a day studying. Multiple languages takes discipline and careful planning.

I can see why. That is truly impressive.
It doesn't have to. If you love all your languages more or less equally and have the needed resources/media, you're going to devote enough time to all of them without planning.

I've realized one important thing. If you're super passionate about one language, it's best to reach fluency before adding others. Otherwise you'll feel like you're stealing time from it and planning will only make it worse and you'll give up. I used to be mad at everything that would take my time away from Finnish.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6380 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 14 of 77
21 March 2012 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I've realized one important thing. If you're super passionate about one language, it's best to reach fluency before adding others. Otherwise you'll feel like you're stealing time from it and planning will only make it worse and you'll give up. I used to be mad at everything that would take my time away from Finnish.

I'm super passionate about one language at a time. A month or two ago I was super passionate about Cantonese and spent all my spare time studying it, watching movies, reading it, and so on. Now I'm super passionate about Spanish and I'm mad at having to do stuff in Cantonese (because I signed a contract) since it takes time away from my Spanish. I've experienced the same thing in all my languages. When I get the urge, I spend six hours a day studying and neglect all other languages, including the one I spent six hours a day studying just a week ago!

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4486 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 15 of 77
21 March 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
s0fist wrote:
On the other hand there are some truly beast minds who'll play 10 players simultaneously
while playing Super Mario. They emerge victorious, refreshed, and possibly even wiser
about each players style. But even such as they rarely play several hard opponents at the
same time.

I appreciate the effort to spice up the discussion, but I respectfully disagree as to the appropriateness of the metaphor.

When chess masters play simultaneous matches, generally the vast majority of opponents are so far below their levels that there is basically no thought involved--"wiser about each player's style" sounds pretty ridiculous to me. In those cases where there are one or more somewhat challenging opponents, the simultaneous exhibitor will spend essentially no time on the weak boards, and instead concentrate on spending time thinking at the tough boards. Even then, the difference in skill is generally so great that simply spending a little more than zero time is all it takes to overcome the opponent.

Simultaneous exhibition matches are just a display of how superior the exhibitor is relative to the challengers, and in no way a learning experience for the exhibitor about the game itself.

Exit chess player stage right.

nonneb
Pentaglot
Groupie
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4549 days ago

80 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ancient Greek, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Hungarian, French

Message 16 of 77
21 March 2012 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Those of you who do study multiple languages simultaneously, why do you do it? Is the pull of the languages so strong that you can't resist studying them all at the same time? Or, do you just love the studying aspect and the end-result of proficiency is just not that important? In other words, is it more about the journey than the destination?

Both of these are true for me. It's not really that I think learning multiple languages at the same time is a good idea, but I can't help myself. I get burned out or bored if I only study one language. I think I could actively study one language 30 minutes every day plus a few hours passive or unintentional studying: audiobooks, tv, talking with native speakers (if you're B1 or so and it's not too much work to talk). Because I'm studying four languages at the moment, I can literally spend the whole day (outside of work, I teach English) studying in some way. Here's what an average day looks like:

I listen to Chinese Assimil lessons on the way to work. I read a book in German during my breaks at work, as well as talking to some of the staff in German. On my way home, I listen to more Chinese Assimil. I then read some news from my favorite sites in Spanish and German and browse Reddit, where I subscribe to pretty much every non-English subreddit I can find. I browse lernu and some other forums a bit, then I begin studying Russian. I usually do an Assimil lesson and some FSI work. I'll then do an Assimil lesson in Chinese and review some. When I need a break, I can read or watch some more news or TV in German or Spanish, talk to my wife in German, or read whatever book I'm reading, or (and I just got this and am excited), listen to my Ancient Greek Assimil course (til now I've only been able to read and write). It's more of an obsession than something I plan or even try to do.

As far as recommendations go, if you want to improve a language quickly, study one. If you want to improve multiple languages more slowly, study multiple languages.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version