77 messages over 10 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 10
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 73 of 77
24 May 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
To play the devil's advocate, I'm fairly sure that the only difference between writing and speaking is whether you are able to proofread your text and correct your mistakes.
1 person has voted this message useful

HopeTea
Japan
Joined 4069 days ago

37 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 74 of 77
25 May 2013 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
I don't really have anything valuable to add, as I've only started my second "serious" language within the past
few months. Mostly I just wanted to say I've enjoyed this thread very much. I'm currently studying Japanese
and Spanish, and recently (probably thanks to the six week challenge - I'm jackonskates over there) I've been
making a lot of progress with Spanish.

My problem is trying to make time for Japanese when I'm so pumped up about Spanish and wanting to study
it in every free moment. I think it's hard because my Japanese is much better than my Spanish, so I don't see
a whole lot of improvement over just a few days like with Spanish. I've thought about maybe keeping track of
the time I spend on Japanese like I've been doing with Spanish, and maybe that would help motivate me.
Anyway, hopefully with a little more push I'll get better at balancing both languages. It's been great to hear all
your thoughts!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5059 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 75 of 77
25 May 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
Further above in this thread I wrote:

Quote:
But if for some reason I would have to move to Spain or Mexico, my approach to languages would probably undergo some change. I love Spanish, and in that situation I would take every opportunity to live Spanish, breathe Spanish, and practice Spanish.

While browsing through the forum I just found Iguanamon's post in the Advanced Fluency thread:

iguanamon wrote:
The Assimil course may be good as a supplement but try to make your main course the real Spanish-speaking world, where Spanish lives, breathes and talks.

From the time stamp I see that this predates my own message by about twelve hours. While I was thinking about Iguanamon and his general approach to languages when I wrote my post - after all it was a reply to his OP in this thread - I didn't know his new article then and was not intending to allude to what he had just written elsewhere. Maybe he has used similar wording in the past (very likely) and my mind semiconsciously picked it up.

I just mention this here in order to prevent any bad vibes by possibly giving the wrong impression that I was engaging in any backdoor snide remarks or making fun of someone. I highly respect Iguanamon and his very constructive postings (though I do not necessarily agree with all of them). In fact, if I got his command of Spanish and Portuguese for free, I would be tempted to abandon my other language studies and enjoy the wealth of culture those two languages alone have to offer me. In language learning for me too there is nothing as satisfying as having gained a real mastery of a language one loves, though this may not always be feasible or necessarily be the first or only goal for all.

One really has to be careful on these forums. When I just found the other post, I was dumbfounded.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 76 of 77
25 May 2013 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
Aww, what a beautiful parallel :) Even if unintentional.
My two cents are that if you want to learn more than two languages at a time, you need to live&breathe language learning. Ie it doesn't matter which of your languages you're breathing right now, but you should never be out of oxygen!

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5059 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 77 of 77
28 May 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Did you log in? It might be protected from newly registered users as well... I think I created my account when the forum went down in summer.

Has been unblocked now.

I have now worked in the new content, improved the formatting and did some proofreading correcting a couple of typos. Should be complete now. Hope there will be no new spam attacks on the page.

Word lists (revised Wikia article)

EDIT: I see that just today Iversen has added a new article to his Guide, How many times should you repeat your word lists? , but this is basically an elaboration of his earlier points on Repetition that are already featured in the Wikia article. Therefore I didn't include material from the new post - it would make the Wikia article unwieldy without adding anything essential.

There are also numerous other articles on the philosophy and practice of word lists scattered among thousands of post all throughout the forum, but to collect and exploit them would be a monstrous task. I didn't include any of this additional material in the revision of the Wikia article, except the new 'Alternatives' section which I also took from Iversen's Guide.

Edited by Kronos on 28 May 2013 at 1:53pm

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version