Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5059 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 65 of 77
23 May 2013 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
Thanks emk. I just signed up, but the article is blocked for registered users too. I left a note on Dgryski's talk page, will see what happens.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 66 of 77
23 May 2013 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Did you log in? It might be protected from newly registered users as well... I think I created my account when the forum went down in summer.

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5059 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 

Message 67 of 77
23 May 2013 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Kronos wrote:
Spanish-French-Italian-Portuguese

Interesting that you need such a strict schedule and all those alternations etc. Gradually you want to be able to switch between any two languages from your list, so I recommend having more fun in addition to your structured sessions. Try GLOSS and lyricstraining, for example. If you use Anki, I'd do mixed sessions (ie your cards come up in a random order, in all languages).

You are probably right. Confusion is not a big issue for me, it is more about maintaining discipline. Meanwhile I wonder if I got more done if I was not too strict and rather take up any lessons just as I feel like. Will have to try.

Apart from that I am happy with Assimil for the moment. They have enough entertainment value to keep me going on.

Edited by Kronos on 23 May 2013 at 4:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 68 of 77
23 May 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
An ideal material makes you [s]beg for more[/s] want more, more, more! Not to diminish your current achievements but Assimil should be the minimum (maybe not a daily one in every single language).

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4466 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 69 of 77
24 May 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
Confusion is great only if languages are related: Tamil vs Malayalam, Spanish vs Portuguese etc.
If you learn Mandarin and Russian at the same time, there will be no such problems,
or Mandarin and Thai...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 70 of 77
24 May 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
And even there not always and not for everyone (which is one of the main points of this thread :))
In my case, my first goal is solid passive skills, so there's not much to confuse.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 71 of 77
24 May 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
I never experienced much interference at all.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5059 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 

Message 72 of 77
24 May 2013 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Even if there is some interference, what is so bad about it? If this happens already right at the beginning, so much the better. I take notice of it, become aware of tricky similarities early on, and in the course of time this diminishes.

If it would trouble me, I could put grammar tables for similar languages on the desktop side by side and compare them. For the major Romance and Germanic languages the respective chapters including comparative charts in The Loom of Language are also very helpful.

I just trust that in the course of time the mind will sort out things by itself. If not, I can always do specific grammar work, or focus on one language at a time for a while. But I like the change and a bit of challenge, it's like an additional incentive.

About four minutes into this video the whole point is nicely illustrated with the help of a chart, "The Four Domains of Language". It says that if mixing things up is going to happen, it will only be while speaking. And as long as you don't need to communicate on a professional level, this should not pose a problem.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version