Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 129 of 336
02 October 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
For Irish I've decided to follow the Lang=en">Ranganna online course as I really like how the audio is presented. Other
courses I tried wouldn't really have simple audio of phrases but instead would present
the basic phrases in the text which are then worked into difficult, fast dialogues with
all kinds of flourishes. Getting used to the phonetic system is
particularly difficult when starting out and as anyone who's studied Irish knows, if
you change one aspect of a phrase, the pronunciation of everything that follows can
change completely. Ranganna presents simple, yet not too-slow dialogues as well as
sound files of all the phrases that are easy to repeat over and over again. They also
present alternatives of the different dialects even though it follows Connacht Irish
which is handy for gaining a familiarity of the differences between the dialects.

They have the first unit available to try out, which I did to give myself a maximum of
time in order to complete the course within the three month access period I purchased.
My card didn't go through on the site so they told me to call which gave me the chance
to have a nice chat. After the second unit I should have enough Irish to be able to
write a short composition. I think I'll also check out some of the other courses that I
found were too hard to follow on their own on the side to get more training.

If all goes well, by the end of the year I'll be able to say and understand all of
this:

Unit 1: Meeting People
Unit 2: Your Background and Where You Live
Unit 3: The Family
Unit 4: The House and Accommodation
Unit 5: Pastimes
Unit 6: Daily Life
Unit 7: Talents and Skills
Unit 8: Work
Unit 9: Food and Drink
Unit 10: Health Matters
Unit 11: Clothes and Shopping
Unit 12: Requests and Commands
Unit 13: Last Weekend
Unit 14: Holidays and Travel
Unit 15: Making Arrangements

Edited by sctroyenne on 02 October 2013 at 12:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 130 of 336
02 October 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
That's the exact list of topics covered in Gaeilge gan Stró (which I use), so by the end of your course we should both be able to speak about the same things. :)

Ádh mór ort! (Good luck!)

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 131 of 336
02 October 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
It actually is Gaeilge gan Stró, just the online version. Nice to have a partner! :)

I continued on to Unit 2. There are a few challenges but I'm getting it and I really feel
that the phonetics are finally starting to make sense for me. It shouldn't be long before
I can sight read a text in Gaeilge.

I looked over a bit of Karen. It's actually quite phonetic and I could make some sense of
it. I got a Burmese alphabet trainer app to practice the letters (though I think some of
the Burmese letters aren't used in Karen). It looks quite doable.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 132 of 336
02 October 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I just saw that (below one of the Talking Heads sections, where it says that the video clips are available in the online version).

I'm studying the material in waves (following Professor Arguelles' shadowing method).

One of the fellow students complained about the speed (she thought it was too fast). Personally, I think it's great that they have published a course which doesn't have the dumbed-down dialogues and the annoyingly slow speech.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 133 of 336
02 October 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
One of the fellow students complained about the speed (she
thought it was too fast). Personally, I think it's great that they have published a
course which doesn't have the dumbed-down dialogues and the annoyingly slow speech.

They can be fairly quick but it's nothing compared to other courses I've tried so far
that were so overwhelming. It also helps that (at least in the online version), after
the full dialogue they provide clear clips of each line which allows you to repeat it
over and over as desired. Granted, you can splice up the audio yourself to do that but
it's nice to not have to. I think it strikes a nice balance and I think I'll try out
the dialogues from the other courses that were too hard after mastering the ones in
this course.

I spent my entire 45 minute commute listening to two dialogues under a minute each over
and over again while sort of silently attempting to shadow. It's helping me get it down
despite the speed.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 134 of 336
02 October 2013 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I just blind-shadowed the dialogues from Unit 6. Of course I'm not able to get every word right due to the speed and the length of the sentences, but by the time I'll be having a look at the text, most of it is crystal clear.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 135 of 336
05 October 2013 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I just found out today out of the blue that there will be an Irish immersion weekend in
Portland in November. I think I'm going to do it! I was disappointed to learn that I just
missed registration for the San Francisco so this is a nice opportunity. Also it would be
nice to visit Portland. It's being put on by Language
Hunters
which I saw discussed a bit previously on the forum. It would give me a
nice short term goal to work towards!

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 136 of 336
07 October 2013 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
So Unit 2 of Gaeilge gan Stró/Ranganna (Your Background and Where You Live) was pretty
dense. There were several long vocabulary lists of countries, nationalities, facilities
of a town or city (with added complications of plural forms, lenition with an and
eclipsis with i), some prepositions that they didn't delve into much, numbers to 20,
and some phrases/questions. Luckily I found a Gaeilge gan Stró Memrise course which is
really helpful for reviewing all this vocabulary.

I'm also finding that the Memrise course is really helpful for me in learning the
phonetic system. The last step in mastering each word is spelling it so I have to take
extra care in noticing the relations of the letters/letter combinations and the sounds
they produce.

The "talking heads" portion showed how to integrate the small amount of what has been
taught into a coherent and not too simplistic text. I'll use them as a model to build
my own composition.

I ordered the book <I>How to Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately</I> by Boris
Shekhtman after hearing and reading quite a few great reviews. It provides excellent
tips for taking building blocks of language that one has learned and applying
conversational tactics to develop communicative capabilities in a language. I think
this will be especially helpful in my Spanish study in converting all of my passive
knowledge into spoken fluency.

One of the main cruxes of Shekhtman's methodology is building up "islands" in language
- portions of pre-mastered, memorized speech in many different subject areas that help
a foreign speaker navigate a conversation with some fluid speech. I realized that the
sort of "old-fashioned" thematic method of organizing a language course such as in
Gaeilge gan Stró (as opposed to Pimselur/Michel Thomas/Assimil which organize courses
by various grammatical topics) does help build up islands in the language. After each
unit of the course I can create my own islands in Irish, type them up and get them
corrected in Lang-8, record myself and then memorize them. So even though I'd only have
an A1 level in the language by the end of the course, what I will know will be very
fluid as opposed to traditional learning methods where students have very
hesitant/halting spoken abilities all the way through intermediate level.

Shekhtman is also helping me think about methodology in language tutoring - how to help
a student develop conversational ability (and perceived fluency). I think I'll
experiment a bit with my refugee student - I can tell she has quite a bit passive
knowledge, I think this will help activate her knowledge of English, get her thinking
more in sentences, and develop her confidence.

I've also been thinking about my short term projects. I've decided on going to the
Irish weekend in Portland in November. I should finish the beginning level of Gaeilge
gan Stró in December, after which I can continue on for another three months or switch
my focus to Spanish. I can spend about three months focusing on Spanish intensively and
then take a relatively cheap language immersion trip to Guatemala as a capstone
experience (a two week trip would only cost me half of the paid time off I would
receive). The other thing I can do in Guatemala is get some cheap dental work done as I
know that I'm facing some pretty scary dental bills (even with insurance) if I get my
work done here. This makes me lean towards working on Spanish sooner rather than later
since it's better not to wait to get that stuff done.

I can then continue to study Irish to intermediate level, Spanish to maybe advanced,
developing more French fluency (maybe finally taking a DALF exam), working on getting
some basics of Sgaw Karen, and maybe even starting a new language such as Portuguese.
All this would lead to the Polyglot Conference next year in Montreal (and/or New York
but Montreal is by far the one I prefer) where I'd be able to legitimately claim 3
languages at intermediate level or higher and 1 or 2 at beginning level (using some
Shekthman "trickery" to make the most of what I know) in addition to my native English.

Sounds like a plan?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 336 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version