United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 25 of 336
10 May 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
A quick update:
Have been having trouble scheduling my days and building a solid study routine so I'm
not making the kind of progress I'd like. I have been going out to more sorties
though - a few were great for conversation while others were more awkward and forced.

I've done something with my dubbed DVDs that I've never really done - watch them with
English subtitles. Ever since I started watching dubbed series I always watched them
with French subs (even though they're usually different) or none at all but I realized
that I can learn something with English subs as well. I get to see better how they
tried to translate - what they seemed to find untranslatable, etc. In addition, it made
me realize yet again how much I miss by not paying 100% attention - even in English.
Watching episodes of The Office that I've seen dozens of times now I realized that
there are still little throw away lines in English that I've never noticed before.
After a lifetime of watching TV I've grown accustomed to ignoring the bits of dialogue
that are just there as background to set the scene just before the start of the main
scene and things like that. Since my attention is more prone to slipping when watching
in a foreign language, it makes me appreciate that I probably miss more than I think I
do but the visual and general storytelling techniques lead me to believe that I
understand everything. I've gone back to working with the transcripts I found for Buffy
so that I can have a season's worth of episodes at 100%.

I haven't made good progress in Spanish - I've been wanting to go back to review but
haven't found the time to pull away from other activities. Though I did start a
collection of Spanish music. I never took much to French music but I've discovered the
world of Argentinian rock thanks to these boards, starting off with Babasónicos and
using the "related artists" feature on Spotify to discover others. It's pretty much my
style, as I love alternative rock, new wave, 80s, etc. Found one group that I swore
must have been Simple Minds singing in Spanish, Soda Stereo. I'll work on collecting
lyrics and starting to memorize them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 336
10 May 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
I've gone back to working with the transcripts I found for Buffy
so that I can have a season's worth of episodes at 100%.

Ça existe ? Merci à vous, je suis vraiment heureux aujourd'hui. :-) Je cherche des
transcriptions depuis plusieurs semaines, mais je ne les ai pas pu trouver. Cette
semaine, je regardais « Buffy » avec la télécommande en main. Je rembobinais et
rembobinais et devinais, et j'en comprenais pas mal, malgré les sous-titres inutiles en
français, mais une transcription ? Ce serait le rêve !

Connaissez-vous où je pourrais les trouver ? Sont-ils en ligne, dans un livre où      
ailleurs ? Vous pouvez m'envoyer un « PM », si vous voulez.

Et merci comme toujours pour un journal très intéressant !

English:

That exists? Thanks to you, I am very happy today. I've been looking for transcripts
for several weeks, but I haven't been able to find them. This week, I've been watching
Buffy with the remote control in hand. I've been rewinding and rewinding and guessing,
and I've been understanding a good amount of it, despite the useless French subtitles,
but a transcript? That would be a dream.

Do you know where I could find them? Are they online, in a book, or somewhere else? You
can send me a PM if you want.

And thank you as always for a very interesting log!

1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 336
10 May 2012 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Ah, ça y est : transciptions
en français de Buffy. Toute sept saisons, aussi. J'ai dû utilisé Google.fr et pas la
version française de Google.com. C'est chouette, ça. :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 28 of 336
10 May 2012 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Buffy, in French, with transcripts?!!? What a great find. sctroyenne and emk, you're my
heroes of the day on HTLAL!

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 29 of 336
11 May 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Awesome! I had only ever found them at hypnoweb.net and the community there had mostly
given up after season 2 (with a few episodes here and there for the later seasons).
Chapeau bas à toi, emk! The good thing about the French dub of Buffy is that
Dawn's "Get out!" screaming is FAR less annoying!

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 30 of 336
15 May 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Continuing my OVS outings in full-force though I'm going through a patch where I find
it harder to interact. Though sometimes it's hard to find chemistry with the group that
lets me speak easily. I saw the film Radiostars which wasn't great. I'll be seeing Le Prénom soon which everyone says is great. And it's in the typical French film style
where people sit around and talk for an hour and a half to two hours, especially since
it's an adaptation of a play which takes place in a single setting.

I went to a taping of France 5's C Politique with an interview of Jean-Luc Melenchon of
the Front de Gauche. An hour and ten minutes of pure political speech. I had already
been to tapings with Eric Besson, Francois Bayrou and Eva Joly and of all of them,
Melenchon was certainly the most entertaining. Linguistically he's important as his
criticism of Hollande being a "capitaine de pédalo" or captain of a paddle boat
is cited all the time now. I'll be going to a taping of the talk show On n'est pas
couche tomorrow, which lasts for hours. So far only one guest of five is
confirmed: Franck Provost, a major hair stylist who owns a large chain of hair salons.
A sort Vidal Sassoon in France.

I haven't been making progress in Spanish or Irish and so I need to self-flagellate and
get on that. Next update there will be some progress!

eilis91
Bilingual Tetraglot
France
Joined 4364 days ago

28 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Yoruba

Message 31 of 336
15 May 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Dear sctroyenne,

It's great to see someone learning Irish! I think the Munster dialect is an excellent choice as you will be understood
easily by all Irish speakers. Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat! :)

Eilís

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4396 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 32 of 336
15 May 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Great to see you started posting again, I thought you'd disappeared! :P So are you
staying in France, or do you have to go back to the States soon?

This discussion contains 336 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version