Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 1 of 91
21 April 2012 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone! I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks since I found them,
and recently I joined and made a few posts. Anyway, here is my story with French in all
it's boring, minute detail!

I started "learning" French at the age of 13 when I moved from the US to Ireland. I
came in late to the first year of secondary school (basically highschool). The only
available foreign language was French, so I had to take it. I remember very little of
those early days in school, mostly because I was so overwhelmed by the culture shock of
living in a new country where most people saw me as an anomaly. Never mind trying to
learn French, I was just trying to understand the accents of the people around me!

I can remember enjoying learning French when I did pay attention, even from the
early days. Because it was my first foreign language just the concept of a different
way of speaking and thinking interested me. Over the next three years I did varying
amounts of work for French on and off, but it was only school stuff (I am not a big fan
of the way languages are taught in most schools). So for three years I learned the
three basic tenses, basic grammar rules, and simple phrases to help you write something
like a postcard.

There is a big exam in third year in Ireland called the "Junior Certificate". It isn't
really that big, just something to test your knowledge from the first three years of
secondary school. I did pretty well in my French exam with a B in Higher Level
(surprisingly no one in my school got an A).

After that I entered TY (Transition Year), which is basically a year in which you do
very little at all in school. That meant I did almost no French, except for some basic
revision when I had a few French classes.

Next came 5th year, the year in which study resumed and everyone realised they had
forgotten how to learn and work after a year in TY. As a result of school arrangements,
I had to take French as a subject outside of school. I chose it at the time more as a
second language requirement rather than because of my enjoyment of it. I was (and am)
lucky enough to have a lesson once a week with a teacher that happens to be a close
friend of my mother's.

Unfortunately, my learning suffered because of other subjects. While I enjoyed learning
more French, I was much more focused on my other subjects at school. I almost never did
French homework, unfortunately. I know now that not having regular contact with a
language is the easiest way to forget it. Usually I would only do anything French-
related during my lessons, resulting in frequent frustration on my behalf (not to
mention half-assed apologies to my teacher).

Near the end of 5th year my lessons stopped completely, and I did no French for nearly
8 whole months. At the start of 6th year (the final year of secondary school), I had
decided that I would teach myself ordinary level French with the aim of getting a pass
in the exam, just in case I needed it for University. Months passed and I did nothing,
becoming more afraid of it each time I thought about it.

About 9 weeks ago I realised I had to do something, so I started working. I began by
doing a mock paper (basically a fake version of the exam I will have this summer) with
no revision. I felt ashamed when I realised I couldn't even remember the past tense! So
I began to do at least a little bit of work each night. A lot of stuff came back to me
pretty quickly, like it was under some pile of junk in my brain and I just had to dig
it out. I began to notice that being consistent with the language made it a hell of a
lot easier! The mock paper came back and I got 83%, which came as a shock. I began to
wonder what I could do with more work.

I contacted my teacher (hell, my friend!) and we began having lessons again, with the
aim of me passing the Ordinary Level exam. I remember the first lesson back, I was
having so much difficulty understanding her, and she blatantly told me "now is the time
to start working". I took her very seriously, and within a few weeks I had done all of
the past exam papers and was at a pretty high standard for ordinary level. I began to
listen to French podcasts, and even made a post on a French forum to speak with
Francophones on Xbox Live (an online gaming service).

Then, I took the bold choice to switch to higher level French. More and more, I
realised I was really enjoying the language. Now that I was learning it outside of
school (this was a new concept because like I said, I didn't do much work at all in 5th
year), I could do everything my way. I didn't have to go at a snail's pace for the
people who couldn't be bothered; in fact I could go extremely fast! I also didn't have
to do stupid things like write out lists of vocabulary, learn phrases instead of just
being able to know how to create them, etc. Also, I was able to do more than just the
school curriculum, which in my opinion is far less interesting than native materials.
Even when you don't understand much of it, the sound of a foreign language is
intriguing.

This Easter break, I revised an entire book and spent most days doing something related
to French. Talking with natives has been amazing in so many ways, and I did a lot of it
at Easter.

Recently I had my speaking exam, which went very well. To be blunt, it was a piece of
cake after talking to natives. If you haven't already noticed, I am not a big fan of
the way languages are taught in school. The fact that after 6 years of learning most
people in my school aren't even at a B1 level in French is a travesty!

On to the present situation! I am pretty much done with French in school. I am doing
preparation for the higher level exam, but a lot of it is below my current level (of
course it still helps me to correct mistakes, etc.). This summer I will be
transitioning to native materials and more advanced books. Right now, my intention is
to try to apply directly for undergraduate study in France next year. I currently have
a very solid B1 in French (having looked at a checklist, I am verging on a B2). I know
it will be very hard and I have a year of difficult work ahead of me, but I am
encouraged by the amount of progress I have made in the past three months. Not to
mention the fun I've had too!

Why is this my goal? Well, the more French I do the more I become intrigued by it. What
better way to learn more about a language than to go live in the country where it is
spoken? There is also the adventure aspect. I've already made one big move in my life;
now that I'm an adult, I'd like to do it again! This summer I'll be making a trip to
Paris with some friends, so I'm sure that will give me some ideas about the country/
let me see if I really want to live there. Also it will be awesome to test out my
French.

I also would prefer living in France as opposed to learning the language in University.
The latter just doesn't appeal to me, especially after what I have been able to do by
learning nearly on my own.

I'll continue to update this thread as things progress. It will probably mostly be
milestones, but who knows. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Swift on 03 July 2013 at 1:11am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 2 of 91
23 April 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Hello again! Below is a summary of my recent experience with comprehensions and
articles (the journal entry branches out quite a lot thereafter).

In the past few days I have done about 12 comprehension questions from past Leaving
Certificate exam papers. These basically consist of extracts from French newspapers
(journalstic comprehension), and extracts from short stories (literary comprehensions).

It is usually pretty easy to just answer the questions, which are related directly to
the content of the article. Still, I like trying to understand as much as I can, within
reason. Especially because I know that I am reading native material, meaning I can
trust it very well for idiomatic expressions and proper use of language.

As a result, I have ended up spending around an hour on some of these articles, just
looking up new words and taking note of relevant ones. I find verbs the hardest to
remember for some reason. Perhaps it is because I am no longer learning verbs with
simple and short translations, e.g. être, mettre, savoir, etc. Instead I am learning
verbs with longer translations and more niche uses, for example:

-patauger (to splash about, i.e. if one was swimming)
-rompre (to break up with someone)
-se fondre (to melt into, to blend into)

These are all really exciting words to know because they will help enrich my vocabulary
with deeper, more complex meaning. However, sometimes I fear that I might be taking the
wrong translation! I've also stopped writing down translations that I haven't seen used
in action; I tend to rarely remember them, and it's probably better to learn a word
through use than through seeing it in a dictionary.

I am also at the stage where I am becoming increasingly aware of the fact that pretty
much each word (especially verbs) has several meanings. This makes me realise that I
take my knowledge of context for granted in English! It is kind of amazing how many
meanings of the same word the human brain can store, especially when one takes
colloquial use into account! I have felt impatient at times lately, wondering how I
will ever learn the many meanings and contexts of one verb. But then I realise worrying
is the worst thing I can do; being patient and enjoying my learning experience is the
best way to go!

I have also been trying to read at least one article a day on the léquipe website.
Their articles aren't usually more than a few hundred words, but they always have some
good vocabulary that I don't know. At the moment, they suit me perfectly. It has been a
little hard to keep up this habit lately though, considering all the other reading I
have been doing.

Edited by Swift on 23 April 2012 at 8:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5184 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 3 of 91
26 April 2012 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Some of those basic verbs (like mettre) can have tons of meanings which depend on the proposition
used, if it's reflexive, etc. Some vocabulary books work through them: I entered phrases from one into
SRS and ever since I've been more sensitive to which preposition a verb takes when I read. I guess we
don't have it as bad as people learning phrasal verbs in English though. I notice that papers love their
idioms and precise verbs so you'll get a lot (as I still do).
1 person has voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 4 of 91
27 April 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
Some of those basic verbs (like mettre) can have tons of meanings
which depend on the proposition
used, if it's reflexive, etc. Some vocabulary books work through them: I entered
phrases from one into
SRS and ever since I've been more sensitive to which preposition a verb takes when I
read. I guess we
don't have it as bad as people learning phrasal verbs in English though. I notice that
papers love their
idioms and precise verbs so you'll get a lot (as I still do).

Yeah, a look in a dictionary will give you a lot of meanings for them! I just go with
the meanings I know, any try to learn knew ones when I encounter them, kind of like you
said.

You're right, I certainly take them for granted, considering I had to look up (there
one is!) what they were.

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 5 of 91
27 April 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Journal entry: A Day of Speaking, Vocabulary Methods
Today I had a lesson with my friend. It went really well; we managed to speak pretty
much only French for nearly forty minutes from the minute I walked in the door. It kind
of makes me proud, considering that 3 months ago I had to ask for most sentences to be
repeated.

I missed a bus back home, which meant I ended up staying at her house longer, which
translated to more talking time. I always leave my lessons feeling like I didn't get
enough time to talk about everything I would have liked to, even after 2 hours. So, it
was good to have some philosophical chats about languages in both English and French.
Every lesson my speaking seems to get a little bit better, making me long for the day
when I'll be able to explain the more abstract topics we converse over using only
French.

After I got home, I went on my Xbox and spoke with one of my French friends. It was
great, especially because study has kept me from going online much at all for the past
few weeks.

Overall, a great day of speaking that helped give me some more confidence! I was
starting to get a bit worried if I could still speak well after doing so many
comprehensions.

Recently I've felt the need to try different methods for learning vocabulary. I've been
using old-fashioned lists of A4 paper, one word per line, since I started French. While
it isn't horrible, it is starting to feel inefficient. Thus, I decided to take look at
what other people had to say on these forums. I found some good advice and a great
thread on the subject. I've already read some of it. I think I'll be trying out a mix
of methods for a while to see what I like. I might even just keep the lists as a sort
of a book to record the words I learn.

I've started off using an SRS program on my phone. So far I haven't used it much, but
it seems like an interesting way to avoid the problems of lists: memorising the order,
and not being able to review things completely at random.

I am also unsure of how much vocabulary I'll be taking down in the future. It might be
better to only take down words I am unsure of that I encounter several times. I am now
at a level where I can understand the gist and usually some of the finer details of an
article without any help. Also, using the dictionary too much slows me down and
frustrates me. I've decided that from now on I'll read through articles first before
thinking about using a dictionary. I just wasn't using my reading skills by translating
the first word I didn't recognise.

nekouma
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4450 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Hindi, German

Message 6 of 91
27 April 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Bonsoir :)

You have started a nice log.

Personally, when I hear "patauger", it's linked to "boue" or "eau" (in my brain :)).
"Il a tellement plu hier qu'on patauge dans la boue aujourd'hui."
"Les enfants pataugent dans l'eau." (mais ne sont pas forcément en train de nager).

J'espère que tu passeras un bon moment à Paris, mais il y a aussi d'autres villes qui pourraient être bien pour étudier. J'aime bien Lyon, perso.

Bon courage !

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 7 of 91
27 April 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
nekouma wrote:
Bonsoir :)

You have started a nice log.

Personally, when I hear "patauger", it's linked to "boue" or "eau" (in my brain :)).
"Il a tellement plu hier qu'on patauge dans la boue aujourd'hui."
"Les enfants pataugent dans l'eau." (mais ne sont pas forcément en train de nager).

J'espère que tu passeras un bon moment à Paris, mais il y a aussi d'autres villes qui
pourraient être bien pour étudier. J'aime bien Lyon, perso.

Bon courage !

Ah d'accord, merci pour tes conseils.

Merci, je suis sûr qu'il sera une expérience formidable! Oui, sans doute je pense aux
autre villes, pas seulement à Paris. Je préférerais trouver une grande ville peu chère.
Peut-être il est impossible! En tout cas, probablement pas Paris! Quand même, la
faculté est très importante aussi.

Edited by Swift on 01 May 2012 at 12:03am

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 8 of 91
01 May 2012 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Log: Essays, Books and Music.
Essays
In the past few days I've switched from the comprehensions to writing essay style
pieces. Again, I am focusing on past exam questions, as I will be until mid June. I am
still doing many other things outside of the school side of the language. In fact, I
prefer doing those things as I find them more fun and because I think they usually give
me a greater benefit. Nonetheless, even if I am very confident for the exam, I will
somewhat begrudgingly carry on with past questions!

Overall, I like the essay questions a lot. I think it is really good to have to make my
thoughts cohesive and logical in French. It'll be another important step to getting to
B2. The questions are usually on social issues, e.g. crime, drugs, immigration,
unemployment, etc. You are generally asked to give your opinions on and solutions for
the problem/ topic, but sometimes you can be given the floor to just talk about it in
general.

The answers have to be a minimum of 75 or 90 words. Personally, I find that it is
usually hard to adequately discuss a topic without writing more. That is to say,
present it, give your opinions, give your solutions and finally conclude the piece.

I am definitely getting better at answering these questions. At the start, I found
myself writing far too much, often blabbing on about things remotely related to the
question. I often had to do re-writes. Lately, I've started doing short plans at the
top of my page like I would do if I were writing a very long essay in English. Results
have been much better.

Another positive is only writing French that I know is "good" French. It's good to make
mistakes and learn from them, but for an exam question I want to have everything make
complete sense so I can pick up top marks. Thus, I've tried to write only things that I
know make sense, as opposed to taking more risks. Sometimes simpler is better.

Music
Phew, now something else! I've recently downloaded some French music. There is an
artist called Max Boublil who seems to be very popular on the internet. He is also a
comedian and his songs are usually quite rude in nature.

I figure that music will be good for learning more colloquial language. The repetition
should also help me listening comprehension. It's not like a tape in school; you don't
really realise you're hearing the same thing again because you actually enjoy it. My
friend/ teacher thinks that there might be bad effects though, considering some music
artists can have bad grammar and pronunciation. I think that's what she meant, at
least. We didn't talk extensively.

Speaking of music, I have learned a lot of slang and verlan recently. I just learned
how verlan works yesterday: how fascinating! It's interesting that a lot of verlan
words are commonly accepted in French. I don't think there is really an equivalent in
English, which makes it all the more interesting!

Books
Lastly, I recently ordered some French novels from Amazon to help me keep improving my
French this summer! After having done about a dozen literary comprehensions, I think
I'm ready to make the jump. The books are "Le Grand Cahier" et "L'Etranger", which I
was lucky enough to find in a thread on these forums for simple French novels. I look
forward to reading them!

One last note: I've started writing entries on lang-8. Seems like an excellent website,
and yet another great way for me to supplement my learning. It's also great to help the
largely Asian audience there that is learning English. It's nice to see that the
internet can be something good and reciprocal where everyone benefits.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version