Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 9 of 91
11 May 2012 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
It's been a little while since I made a journal entry here. Sometimes it just feels
like there are always more things to do in my language studies! Thus I try to refrain
from over-stretching myself, even if it means not doing something as simple as this.

My French novels arrived recently. I also bought a slang book. It's more so something
for in my free time, as I'm not really at the level to dive into it. But it's
interesting and should be useful for the native music I listen to, as well as my trip
to France this summer.

So I had told myself that I wouldn't start reading until summer, as I have lots of
exams to study for. Nonetheless, I couldn't resist. I've read the first 60 pages of
L'étranger; what an amazing experience reading a novel in a different language is!

I've worked up a fairly loose routine of reading a chapter at a time when I can, then
re-reading it later for vocabulary. But I don't look up every word I don't understand;
that is far too slow and frustrating. I can understand the general idea of what is
going on, so my thoughts are that I can gradually add to my vocabulary, instead of
overloading on new words.

I also managed to get a full audio-book for the novel too! So after vocab., I read
through the chapter while listening to it. I think the final stage will just be
listening to it without reading. A bit of repetition never hurts, especially with a
slight variation.

Speaking of that, I tried the famous shadowing method using the audio-book. Honestly,
it didn't go very well. I found it very hard to get a good balance between hearing
myself speaking and the audio. I won't go into too much detail but it felt very
frustrating. I watched Prof. Arguelles' 55 minute video on the topic afterwards, and it
seems like it is for people beginning a language (way below my level). Anyone have any
tips/ advice? Is it not meant for things more advanced than Assimil courses? I know
people swear by the method so I don't want to dismiss it after my first try.

Lastly I tried a new vocabulary method today. It's the list one Iversen recommends.
Wow, it worked really well from the word go. I managed to get through about 75 words in
an hour. I definitely enjoyed the method, which is really important. There is a certain
sort of satisfying routine to making my columns, writing the words in the TL,
translating them out loud until I get them all right comfortably, etc. I'll have to
wait to see the results, but so far I'm glad that I gave it a shot. I've also been
using Anki on my phone for 15-30 minutes a day, but I'm not sure about it. Entering all
the vocabulary that I already have written down is a real pain, whether using the
computer or the phone. It kind of seems like a waste of time to be doing both, but for
the moment I'm trying out several methods. I still like the app overall, although I
wouldn't call it "cheating" like some people have.

Edited by Swift on 15 May 2012 at 11:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 10 of 91
15 May 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I'm up to about page 110 on L'étranger now. My French has already improved so much with
all the work I've put into using this book (talked about in the previous post). I think
it's a really good book too. Although it would be interesting to see what I would think
if I read it two years from now with a C2 level. I wonder if it would be like realising
the fiction you loved as a ten year old wasn't as good as you thought.

Besides the novel, I've just been hammering away at work. I've tried to get through 100
new words of vocab. a day using the three column method. Although, it is important that
I don't rush through them just to have completed them, otherwise there is no point.

For the past three days, I've been trying to devote at least one hour at a time several
times a day to thinking in French. It's a really cool and interesting thing to try to
do.

I just found a bunch of French made for TV movies on YouTube, so I think I'm going to
watch some of them when I get the chance. I think I can still get a lot of benefit from
them without subtitles. It doesn't hurt to try anyway.

Lately I haven't had much of a chance to talk with my native friends on Xbox because of
study for exams (on both ends, I think). Kind of makes me sad because I love talking,
but I still have other opportunities of course. On a similar note, I "met" some new
natives that spoke ridiculously fast and didn't try to slow down for me. It really made
me realise that just because I can have decent conversations with some people, it is
still a challenge to understand normal talking speed with lots of slang and informal
language mixed in.

All the more motivation to keep practicing! :)

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5000 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 91
16 May 2012 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
I'm enjoying the log so far, always good seeing other people working away at French.

Swift wrote:
I just found a bunch of French made for TV movies on YouTube, so I think
I'm going to
watch some of them when I get the chance. I think I can still get a lot of benefit from
them without subtitles. It doesn't hurt to try anyway.

Share the wealth! I'm always looking for new stuff to watch in French during my lunch
break. Similarly I found a lot of documentaries on Youtube, just search for the word
"documentary" in your language of choice, so for French "documentaire". They seem good
as they're reasonably long and often have a good mixture between the scripted and clear
speech of the narrator and spontaneous speech in interviews and real-life footage. The
ones on subjects like crime amongst young people are good if you want to hear some
proper "street" language.

Swift wrote:
On a similar note, I "met" some new
natives that spoke ridiculously fast and didn't try to slow down for me. It really made
me realise that just because I can have decent conversations with some people, it is
still a challenge to understand normal talking speed with lots of slang and informal
language mixed in.

All the more motivation to keep practicing! :)

Indeed. I've had similar experiences, including one a few days ago. Whenever I think
I'm getting good at conversations, I find myself in a proper native-level one and
realise how much I still have to learn. And yes, it's frustrating but it certainly does
keep up the motivation.

eilis91
Bilingual Tetraglot
France
Joined 4369 days ago

28 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Yoruba

Message 12 of 91
16 May 2012 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Really enjoyed reading your log, Swift. I agree that languages are often taught abysmally in school in Ireland. I was
fortunate enough to have an *amazing* French teacher for leaving cert (about half our class got A1s at higher level),
but I had absolutely dire Spanish teachers all through secondary school.

Best of luck with the leaving cert - and remember, once it's over, you'll never ever have to know so much about
seven completely unrelated subjects ever again!! It's a great feeling! I did my leaving cert in 2008 (god that makes
me feel old!) and left Ireland the following year. I now live in France, which I love. Unfortunately I'll be leaving in two
months though (I'm on erasmus and will be going back to the UK where I normally study). I hope you someday get
the opportunity to live in France!

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 13 of 91
18 May 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
@garyb The one movie that I'm still watching is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=kCnie67un7U&list=PL2E05EA48FF373E73&index=1&feature=plpp_v ideo
It's about a kid living in a violent neighbourhood who loses hope for his future. All
the related videos in the sidebar look like more French movies to me, but I haven't
taken a look at them yet. Thanks for your suggestions!

@eilis91 The thing I wonder is if languages might not be taught at a good level in
secondary schools in general? I feel like the course/ teachers here aren't the best,
but it's always hard to teach when a lot of people don't have an interest in what is
being taught! Thanks for your support, pretty cool to see someone else who did the LC
who is in France. I hope I'll be there in the next year or two!
(begin log entry)
So today was a really bad day for study. I didn't do anything except for write down
some interesting vocab and speak to myself a bit. I just basically played Xbox and
relaxed. I have a bad habit of falling into a sense of despair when I have a day like
this. I don't know if it happens because of overwork or because of laziness, but I've
done it with school several times and ended up digging myself a hole.

So with this knowledge, I need to at least make an effort tomorrow to get back into my
habits of study!

Edited by Swift on 18 May 2012 at 12:49am

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5184 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 14 of 91
18 May 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Languages in school are never sufficient for learning to speak. Most teachers will tell a class that the
best thing is to create an immersive environment at home, practice the language as much as possible
but few ever do (it would have helped if my teacher gave tips especially since it was the age before the
internet). And it would help if secondary schools had the resources to set up a language lab with video,
audio, books and periodicals and conversation workshops that teachers could have their students use
during class time and during their free time as well (which secondary students don't have as much of
compared to university students). But that sort of thing is rare unfortunately. Plus the teachers have to
teach to the lowest common denominator (or slightly above it) and as an academic subject they have to
test and tests don't necessarily reveal actual communication skills, just that you know how to conjugate,
can identify gender, etc.

You'll get down periods. It helps if you have some activities that are automatically in French, like TV, so
even if you don't crack open a book or check out a news website you get something. Even putting on
French subtitles on an English DVD.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 15 of 91
20 May 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your advice sctroyenne! Luckily I've at least been able to read a good few
French articles online, along with taking down some vocabulary. That that has at least
kept the flow of the language going for me. Kind of like you said, it's important to
have something even if I'm not doing "study".

Regarding teaching again, I agree that it isn't easy for teachers as they have to teach
to the lowest common denominator, like you said. I just wish more teachers would help
those who show an interest for the language beyond the classroom. In my experience,
teachers are too focused on whatever exam/ grade there is at the end of the course.
Questions about topics or ideas outside of the course are usually not answered or given
vague, unhelpful answers. Perhaps this is down to the fact that some teachers do not
have a level much higher above that of their better students, or maybe they don't want
the other students to become confused. Either way, I think it's bad to lose sight of
the fact that a language is a living, wonderful and intricate thing, not just an exam!

I'll leave it there as I don't want to go too far off the point in my "log" :P

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 16 of 91
02 June 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Hello again! I honestly haven't done very much these past two weeks; the situation is
pretty much the same. Still listening, thinking and reading French though. I had an
AWESOME experience today. I am looking for a summer job and I went into the local video
store to apply. My mother had told me that the manager was French, so when I saw her, I
just went up to her and started speaking French. It took me a lot of courage to do
this, probably because I was nervous of making mistakes. In hindsight, that is only
natural. In any case, she was so amazed that her mouth opened in awe before she
responded! We stood there talking in French for probably 15 minutes before I left, but
I didn't notice the time pass. She kept on telling me how good my French was. It really
did a lot for my confidence :)

It was great to have a "random encounter", that's to say a conversation in French with
someone that I don't know. The feelings of comfort. familiarity and sureness that one
has when speaking with a friend are removed, and thus I think one's real standard of a
spoken language comes out. I think I did pretty well in this respect. I really want
the job, even if it doesn't pay that well (it's just an entry position anyway). The
chance to speak French with a native every day this summer is so tantalising. France
seems a lot closer :D (I don't usually use smileys and I know they are discouraged
here, but I am REALLY happy!)

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version