Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4563 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 25 of 91
05 July 2012 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations too! If you have any unanswered questions regarding Paris and around, don't hesitate to ask them here.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 26 of 91
06 July 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks guys! Today my friends and I just walked around Paris. Just seeing and hearing French everywhere is amazing. I think they will soon be sick of hearing all the things about languages that interest me (a lot of things!).

Speaking of that, I found a free paper in the metro just an hour ago. How awesome considering that I want to bring as much native materials back with me as possible! Anyway, on the first page was an article. about anglicisims "invading" French and opinions on the subject. How crazy, I love that type of stuff!

Another thing that interested me was a writer who wrote at the bottom of his piece on the matter that it is really bad grammar that annoys him. The example that he gave was people saying "Après que je sois parti" au lieu de "Après que je suis parti". Another thing that I have thought about a lot! The subjunctive isn't always very obvious. Anybody able to give me a "reason" for this?

Also saw the Louvre. It's free for people under 26 years, but I didn't have any I.D. The guy at the ticket checking place asked me my age, etc, then told me I had to construct a sentence in French to get in jokingly. I nearly laughed :-P. My friends told him he definitely picked the right person to ask.

So basically I am feeling really confident! I had loads of great conversations today, people seem to understand me for the most part and it is the same on my end. Being able to get into a flow and speak at speed is amazing for me. Before I thought it was only possible with people I knew and was comfortable with. Also to do with speaking, my friends have nominated me as the person to do the speaking. More confidence and fun!

Lastly, I can recognise foreign accents now! Weeeee! I wish I could stay here longer to keep learning like this. I haven't even spoken much French because of my friends but still the benefits of being here are great!

p.s. Anyone know anything about "vendanges/ vendenges" (picking fruits for families in the south of france) ? I was told to ask about them while in France but I have no idea where to look.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5325 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 91
06 July 2012 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Swift wrote:
The example that he gave was people saying "Après que je sois parti" au
lieu de "Après que je suis parti". Another thing that I have thought about a lot! The
subjunctive isn't always very obvious. Anybody able to give me a "reason" for this?

For native explanations of this stuff, Google "après que subjonctif" (note the French
spelling). Here's a link:

A nice long discussion.

Swift wrote:
So basically I am feeling really confident! I had loads of great
conversations today, people seem to understand me for the most part and it is the same
on my end. Being able to get into a flow and speak at speed is amazing for me.

Congratulations!

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5184 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 28 of 91
07 July 2012 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
Wow you're in Paris? Have a blast! The weather is being weird but at least there's some
decent sunshine time.

Basically "après que je sois" is "wrong" but it's one of those mistakes that so many
people have made (confusing with "avant que je sois") that it's now considered "correct".
My French teachers said we'd have better grammar than French people and indeed, if I put
"apres que je suis" on Lang-8 it gets corrected. Ironically, for me, learning the
difference between avant que and après que helped me clear up confusion about the
subjunctive.

If you have access to television be sure to check out L'Amour est dans le pré, which is
always the téléréalité "sensation" each summer.
3 persons have voted this message useful

FELlX
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4563 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 

Message 29 of 91
07 July 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Swift wrote:
Another thing that interested me was a writer who wrote at the bottom of his piece on the matter that it is really bad grammar that annoys him. The example that he gave was people saying "Après que je sois parti" au lieu de "Après que je suis parti". Another thing that I have thought about a lot! The subjunctive isn't always very obvious. Anybody able to give me a "reason" for this?

It is a basic rule of the indicatif mood that is applied here. The problem is that in most cases you have to use the passé simple, which is not really used colloquially.

Après que je lui eu dis que je n'aimais pas ce qu'il faisait
Après qu'il me fit ce signe
Après que je fus parti

These three sentences are probably correct, but in a colloquial speech, you will sound like a moron by pronouncing them. Colloquial French is full of mistakes which are - to me - the sign of the evolution of the language. It's a bit like on which is very often used instead of nous.

Swift wrote:

p.s. Anyone know anything about "vendanges/ vendenges" (picking fruits for families in the south of france) ? I was told to ask about them while in France but I have no idea where to look.

If you are thinking of this, you will not find out much about it in Paris region :D

Edited by FELlX on 07 July 2012 at 6:17pm

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 30 of 91
08 July 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Not much news from the past few days regarding language. Unfortunately my holiday isn't as language orientated as I wanted it to be. I have to speak English a lot with ny friends for communication and to avoid wanting to tear my ears off in regards to their French pronunciation :-P. Still enjoying myself, of course!

I've gotten as many free leaflets and papers for reading as I can. I went to the big flea market near the Porte de Clignancourt metro stop. I got two books for 3.50. I wanted to get more but a lot of them looked boring, weren't fiction, too old (I want mostly modern French) or were translated books (I want completely native material). Gonna buy some more before I leave elsewhere.

Now that I think about it, "après que" not being subjunctive makes sense. If something has already happened, it isn't doubtful or any of the other emotions that the tense conveys. I don't know if this is a good explanation, and it is nearly like learning from a book instead of organically, but I think I understand.

Thanks for the examples Felix. I told my Mom that regarding the vendanges, she didn't believe me! Would it be possible for me to find such work in any case?

1 person has voted this message useful

FELlX
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4563 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 

Message 31 of 91
09 July 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Swift wrote:

Now that I think about it, "après que" not being subjunctive makes sense. If something has already happened, it isn't doubtful or any of the other emotions that the tense conveys. I don't know if this is a good explanation, and it is nearly like learning from a book instead of organically, but I think I understand.
In theory, yes, what you say is true. But then it differs in practice, as you have noticed.

Swift wrote:

Thanks for the examples Felix. I told my Mom that regarding the vendanges, she didn't believe me! Would it be possible for me to find such work in any case?
Do you have any particular interest in doing that? Not that I find it bad, but I wouldn't expect seeing a tourist looking for vendanges, especially in Paris :)

To be honest, I have no idea if and how you can. Hopefully someone living outside of urbanness will come and tell you.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5184 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 32 of 91
09 July 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Swift wrote:
Now that I think about it, "après que" not being subjunctive makes
sense. If something has already happened, it isn't doubtful or any of the other
emotions that the tense conveys. I don't know if this is a good explanation, and it is
nearly like learning from a book instead of organically, but I think I understand.

That's exactly it and that basically covers a huge number of the cases in which you use
subjunctive. Just like if you think of "Je veux que tu/vous..." it takes subjunctive
because you may want someone to do something but you have no control over whether they
do it (some imperative forms are the same as subjunctive such as sache, sois, etc and
in Spanish this relation is even more evident).

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version