Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 89 of 91
07 December 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Woah, what has happenend to my thread? I appreciate all of your opinions, but take it easy guys, this is nothing to get angry over. Especially when it's coming from something I wrote like four or five months ago.

Tarvos happens to be right though, I do not speak Irish at all, I had an exemption when I was at school because I moved to Ireland from the US when I was a teenager.

I will keep your advice in mind Mark, if and when I do revisit Russian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4849 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 90 of 91
07 December 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
I'll give you a simpler example. The Penguin Course states that щ is the same as ш, but
longer (ш is sh and щ is shsh), doesn't it? In "non-essential features", however, it is
noticed that ш is hard while щ is soft. The reality is the opposite. The length of щ is
observed only in certain positions and is a non-essential feature, which can be ignored
by a learner. But the actual difference is softness: if you pronounce a soft "sh", it
will be щ even if it is short; and if you pronounce a very long but hard "sh", it will be
ш. So, the textbook deceives you.
In French all the consonants before i and u are palatalized (softened), so if you
pronounce t in "tu" correctly, you are able to pronounce a soft Russian т! I can explain
other Russian sounds through French if you wish.
1 person has voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 91 of 91
07 December 2013 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Honestly Mark, you are going into way too much detail for me. I get the gist of what you're saying, the Penguin course is full of errors regarding pronunciation. Thanks for your advice.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version