Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 49 of 91
17 July 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Oui, ça ne me pose aucun problème. En fait, j'ai choisi d'utiliser l'anglais pour ma log
pour que ceux qui ne parlent pas le français puissent la lire.

C'est marrant que j'aie choisi deux livres qui n'utilisent pas le passé simple, alors que
le trois que tu as choisis l'utilisent! Tu as probablement raison, je pense que j'ai
consulté un post sur la section française de ces forums pour choisir L'étranger et LGC,
mais je n'en suis pas complètement sûr.

Bonne lecture!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 50 of 91
09 August 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Ca fait presque un mois sans vraiment faire des choses pour le français, juste quand je
trouvais les bonnes habitudes d'études. Encore j'étais paresseux, il n'y a pas d'autre
raison. La seule chose que je puisse dire est que je vais enfin faire quelque chose
demain. On verra ce qui se passe.
1 person has voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 51 of 91
10 August 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Je suis surpris et heureux à la fois. J'ai déjà recommencé le travail en regardant une
petite vidéo de quatorze minutes en français sur YouTube. J'étais si surpris parce que
ce n'était pas dur pour moi de comprendre presque tout ce que disait l'homme dans la
vidéo. J'avais expecté que il allait être difficle pour moi, vu que je n'ai presque
rien fait quant au français le mois passé.

De l'autre côté, j'ai souvent lu sur ces forums que il est vraiment plus facile de
comprendre quelque chose dans une langue que de produire quelque chose. Quand même,
c'est un bon commencement et j'en suis donc heureux.

Vous pouvez trouver le lien pour la vidéo ci-dessous; elle pourra vous montrer mon
niveau auditatif de français actuellement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Og_9qZZSKE

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 52 of 91
12 August 2012 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Tout va bien maintenant. À vrai dire je n'ai pas beaucoup fait depuis mon dernier
message, mais comme je suis assez occupé et c'est le recommencement de mes études, ce
que j'ai fait suffit.

J'ai fini le Grand Cahier; ça veut dire que j'ai lu une vingtaine de pages hier. J'ai
beaucoup aimé le livre et j'ai hâte de lire le deuxième roman de la soi-disant
"trilogie des jumeaux".

J'ai aussi lu quelques pages d'un livre que j'ai acheté en France qui s'apelle "Hommes
entre Eux". C'était vraiment plus difficile que les autres livres français que j'avais
lus. C'est parce que premièrement, le livre utilise le passé simple, qui n'est pas
difficile mais qui ne m'est pas très familier. Deuxièmement, je me sentais vraiment
comme c'était un oeuvre de l'art, pas juste une histoire. C'est donc vraiment plus
subtil et moins simple à comprendre. Finalement, le vocabulaire est plus complexe.

Toutes ces choses me font réaliser que j'ai toujours beaucoup de progrès à faire. Ca me
donne beaucoup de motivation!

Edited by Swift on 13 August 2012 at 11:36pm

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 53 of 91
13 August 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I think I am going to start writing these logs in English again, for the most part
at least. I was just trying to do as much French as possible after my break, but now
I've started posting on forums again and I'll be starting lang-8 again tomorrow.

So in the past few days I have read some pages of about 5 books that I bought in
France, and all of them were a lot of hard work, kind of like I explained in my last
post. It wouldn't be impossible to read them at the moment, but it would be pretty hard
work. There are definitely times when I don't understand the main idea of a paragraph
or two, unlike the other two books I've read. On the bright side, reading these books
forced me to use a verb book to familiarise myself more with le passé simple,
l'imparfait du subjonctif and le plus-que-parfait du subjonctif. I now know all three
of these tenses pretty well, which means I know every tense in French. Kind of crazy to
think!

So as a result of my difficulty with these books, I am going to increase my vocabulary
and reading skills by reading the giant load of magazines and newspapers I brought back
with me from Paris. I had been neglecting them, so now is the perfect time. Having read
about 5 pages of one today, it seems to be the bridge I'm looking for. The complexity
of articles varies, giving me the opportunity to be able to understand the stuff I
already know more quickly, as well as learning the more complex vocabulary and grammar
I need for more advanced literature.

I think I'll still read a few pages of a more advanced novel from time to time, though.
Lots of reading and trudging through difficulties every now and then will get me where
I want to be, I think.

EDIT:

I just had a really good 90 minutes of speaking and thinking to myself in French.
During that time (for some strange reason) I did conjugations of the two less-used
subjunctive tenses aloud in my head, going from passé simple to imparfait to plus-que-
parfait to rationalise their formations. A very overly-grammatical thing but now I know
those tenses well enough that I can produce them orally without thinking much (for the
most part). So on those rare occasions when I have to use them I can do it now.

Otherwise I am just really proud of the way everything was clicking for me. I've got
that "if I keep going like this I can do really really well in this language" type
feeling.

Edited by Swift on 14 August 2012 at 1:09am

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 54 of 91
14 August 2012 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Here is the lang-8 entry that I just wrote: http://lang-8.com/407110/journals/1626580/La-
fac-en-France

It's centered around me wanting to go to University in France and some of my worries
about it. I tried to keep it relatively short.

Edited by Swift on 14 August 2012 at 9:47pm

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 55 of 91
14 August 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
I found some interesting stuff out about the subjunctive today. More and more I have
been understanding less straightforward uses of it, like "qu'il soit bien" and so
forth. These aren't really that complicated anyway once you learn to recognise them;
they are usually just subordinate clauses that have been left to stand alone. Ex "(je
veux) que vous puissiez le faire."

However, today I realised that sometimes there are situations where one can use or not
use the subjunctive, depending on the exact meaning one wants to convey. For example
"Je comprends que certains soient..." means "I understand that some might be/ must
be...", leaving room for a slight doubt or maybe even a desire to be more polite. "Je
comprends que certains sont..." is more certain.

Can anyone tell me if I have got this right and elaborate on this type of stuff
(preferably a native speaker)? Entering "Je comprends que certains soient" into linguee
proved to be very interesting. I like that I still have stuff to learn about the
subjunctive.

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4401 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 

Message 56 of 91
17 August 2012 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
I got my results for my end of school exams yesterday, which was followed by a night of
heavy drinking and partying. That unfortunately meant that any kind of language study was
out of the question today :( I got an A1 in French, the highest grade you can get (they
don't tell you your exact percentage). I am of course happy about this, but to be honest
I see it as a formality. Even before the exams in June, I was already above the level of
French taught in school, and now I am pretty far above it.

I have been looking into French universities for the past few days. I still have lots of
important questions I need answered concerning an application, but unfortunately a lot of
people seem to be out of office until the start of the next academic year. I hope I can
go in September 2013, but I'm still not sure if I'll be able to. I'll figure it all out
in good time anyway. I am thinking of doing Computer Science or Astronomy.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version