sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 1 of 151
17 October 2012 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
A quick history. I started learning languages several years ago. I started off with German and progressed very slowly using a popular software package for language learning. It took awhile for me to learn better methods and find better materials. I found HTLAL awhile ago and started reading a lot of threads and experimented with lots of different ideas on language learning.

As time went on, my interest in languages in Asia has gone up while my interest in European languages has gone down. Right now, I'd rank Japanese, Korean and Chinese as 1a, 1b and 1c on the list of languages I want to learn.

Lately, I've been focusing most of my time on Korean. I have a lot of resources for it and here's a very quick rundown of my day.

1 TTMIK lesson a day
- I also create sentences (try for at least 5 but don't always get there) using the previous day's TTMIK lesson and post them on HaruKorean (TTMIK's pay site for sentence correction)
1 lesson/chapter from another source
- For 2 weeks I listen to the dialogs from the lessons several times a day
- For 2 weeks following that, I take the sample sentences from the lessons/chapter and read them every day
- Finally, I take the dialog(s) and sentences and put them into Learning With Texts. I do L1 (or cloze) reps (English to Korean). I start with words, and when the words become "well known" I then do phrases, and when the phrases become "well known" I then finally do reps translating the entire sentence from English to Korean. (Or at least that's the plan. I haven't gotten that far yet.)

List of my Korean resources
Colloquial
Hippocrene
Living Language Spoken World
Active Korean 1
Sogang 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B (plus workbook for 1A)
Yonsei 1 and 2 (plus workbook for 1)
Yonsei Reading 1 and 2
GANADA Korean 1 (plus workbook)
Integrated Korean Beginner 1 and 2
KoreanClass101

(Yes, I'm a language resource hoarder)

Currently working on KoreanClass 101 Newbie seasons 1-3, Colloquial chapters 1-2 and Spoken World chapter 1. I'm going to work slowly through these, starting with KC101, Colloquial, Spoken World and Hippocrene's. I'll begin using the textbooks down the road. I'm also nearing the end of Level 2 of TTMIK.

I've also been watching a ton of Korean variety TV. I watched through season 1 and some of season 2 of Invincible Youth, I'm 10 episodes into Running Man, I've watched several episodes of Star Golden Bell (which I found kinda boring) and Happy Together 3 and I'm just starting to get into Family Outing and 2 Days 1 Night. I've also seen a lot of short lived variety shows like T-Ara Dot Com and Kara Bakery.

I watched the episodes of We Got Married that involved SNSD's Taeyeon and thought it was pretty funny. I've tried watching other couples and the rest are kinda boring. The awkwardness between the couples is a bit funny, but it gets stale after a bit. (I'm sure Taeyeon being paired with a comedian helped make it entertaining.)

TAC 14 begins on page 8. I am with Team Korean and Team German.

Edited by sabotai on 16 December 2013 at 3:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 2 of 151
17 October 2012 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Assimil Experiment

I'll be participating the Assimil Experiment with Chinese. Starting Nov. 1st, I'll be doing a lesson of Assimil Chinese every day and I will spend only 30 minutes, at most, on it per day (45 minutes when I get to the Active Phase).

I've also decided to do my own little off shoot of that and also do a Teach Yourself experiment as well.

I'll be doing Teach Yourself Bengali during the same time period. There are 105 lessons in Assimil Chinese. That's exactly 15 weeks. Real life and holidays have a way of causing some missed days, so I'll assume it'll actually take more like 17-18 weeks to get through Assimil Chinese. I'll progress through TY Bengali in that same time period, also just doing 30 minutes per day and see which one takes me further.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 3 of 151
18 October 2012 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
October 17, 2012
TTMIK Level 2, Lesson 26 - Today's topic was forming the imperative
KoreanClass101 Newbie Season 3, Lessons 5 and 6 - main points were using the words 다음 ("next" or "after") and 안 돼 ("I can't")
Also finished off 22 sentences and added them to LWT.

Didn't watch any Korean TV today.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 4 of 151
19 October 2012 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
October 18, 2012
TTMIK Level 2, Lesson 27 - Asking someone to do something for you
KoreanClass101 Newbie Season 3, Lesson 7 and 8 - using 그럼 ("then, in that case, if so") and 창피해요 ("embarrassing").
Finished with Colloquial Chapter 2's dialogs

I also watched Running Man episodes 11 and 12

Edited by sabotai on 19 October 2012 at 6:30pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 151
19 October 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your Korean! I'm studying it too, I'm in level 4 on TTMIK now. I've never tried KoreanClass101 but I've heard their concept is similar to TTMIK so I'm wondering - is it worth it to do both? Aren't their lessons too similar?

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 6 of 151
19 October 2012 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Good luck with your Korean! I'm studying it too, I'm in level 4 on TTMIK now. I've never tried KoreanClass101 but I've heard their concept is similar to TTMIK so I'm wondering - is it worth it to do both? Aren't their lessons too similar?

They're not really similar. With KoreanClass101, they have a dialog for every lesson and a PDF with the transcript and grammar explanations and sample sentences (like Assimil - just not as good). I'm using it...pretty much just because I have it. I haven't looked at the more intermediate level dialogs yet, but the newbie and beginner level dialogs and lessons really aren't all that good. They're boring and not very creative. I doubt I'll keep using them much longer (but since I already paid for it, it seems like a waste not to).

Pretty disappointing because I really like JapanesePod101, and they clearly put a ton of effort into making their dialogs interesting. But for KoreanClass101 and the other one I tried, FrenchPod101, I would not recommend them.

Good luck with your Korean. 화이팅!

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 7 of 151
22 October 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
October 21, 2012
TTMIK Level 2, Lesson 28 - using the (으)로 particle to explain a method or way of how to do something or the method/way in which something happens. Example: 나무(wood) + 로 + 만들다 (to make) = to make something with wood. 사고 (accident) + 로 + 다치다 (to get hurt) = to get hurt in an accident.

Yonsei Korean 1.1 and 1.2 - covered the formal 입니다 and 입니까 as well as the 은/는 topic marking particle. I was going to hold off on the textbooks for awhile, but I changed my mind.

A migraine sidelined me for a few days. Getting back into the swing of things today.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 8 of 151
24 October 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
October 22, 2012
TTMIK Level 2, Lesson 29 - using the words 다 (all) and 더 (more).
I also watched Running Man episodes 13 and 14 (1 hour each)

October 23, 2012
TTMIK Level 2, Lesson 30 - telling people not to do something
Sogang 1A - Getting Ready chapter 1 - saying your name, nationality and occupation
I watched Family Outing S1 episodes 3 and 4 (1 hour each)

Some episodes of Running Man I really like, some are a bit boring. Family Outing is just okay so far. Neither is nearly as good as Invincible Youth (season 1) was so far.

Now that I am done with TTMIK Level 2, I'm going to hold off on advancing it a bit. Over the next week, I'm going to combine TTMIK lessons and create some sentences using the combined lessons (and of course, posting them on HaruKorean to be corrected). I'll start Level 3 on Nov. 1st.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version