Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ezy Ryder’s endeavor (TAC’14-15 旅立ち、鵲、東亞)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
144 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 Next >>
Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4109 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 129 of 144
01 April 2015 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
徒代艾娃拿度薩姆行第法任特. 艾和服日阿來色的, 擇昂立行愛來科啊報特拆你速, 而漢字. 搜外八雜了爾
寧則後陸狼惡疾? 低速開怒喔複滿有卡那一速謀讚一那副.
音開四語哈飯特腦提色得, 以促艾普日路服二組圖帶.

4月1日快樂!

Recently, as planned, I've been getting more into 喜歡,一個人. Today I'll be watching
episode 5. It's quite enjoyable, although I have to admit I'm not used to this amount
of sound effects. I pause quite a lot, to read the subtitles, and add all unknown
words and characters to Anki. For characters, I'm repositioning them, to study them
before characters I've yet to encounter. Another advantage of this strategy, is that I
get to know the number of new words in each episode. The third one had 53, and the
fourth one had around 47. Might be regular fluctuation, might be progress. (I'm
ignoring most cooking-related vocab, though).
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4109 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 130 of 144
29 April 2015 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
I wanted to work on my listening comprehension. I've recently got back after a little スラ
ンプ, to my Hanzi deck, and stepped up the ペース. I hope to get to 4k characters by my
birthday (70 a day). And I think I see improvements in my reading comprehension; it's
still rather shaky, but at the very least, much better than my listening comprehension.
And how does an Anki addict try to solve every language-related problem? With Anki, of
course. I remember Wiktionary had ページs dedicated to possible characters for ピンイン
syllables with tones. I'll try going through the 1,437 pages, using the mnemonic link
method to memorize the possible “spellings” I know. If I know about 3k characters, that'd
be only around 2 characters per ページ on average (although of course, the numbers would
vary significantly). So, perhaps I should make カードs encompassing all tones of each
syllable. That could make it more efficient, and I'd end up with fewer カードs to review.
There were only about 450 ピンイン syllables, right?

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4109 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 131 of 144
05 May 2015 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Writing Chinese Characters: 2750

I skipped writing about the last “furlongstone,” as I've posted an update the day before
anyway. I've been under some stress recently. That's due to the final exams. I need to get
up at 7:30AM, suit up, prepare, and be there by 8:30. Yesterday I wrote the “Polish” part
(which is more like reading comprehension+non-fiction writing). English is actually quite
helpful, as some semi-common English words are somewhat prestigious in Polish, particularly
when compared to the typical student's vocabulary. I'm not sure if I haven't accidentally
used an expression particular to English (I keep catching myself almost say things like
“nie powinien tego robić w pierwszym miejscu”). Today I took the maths part, which
mostly seemed rather manageable, and I've done relatively well on the mock test, so I hope
both tests will be a passing grade. Tomorrow I'll have to go there twice, once for the
basic level English test, and then the second time for the extended level. I know it might
not be too modest a thing to say, but I'm the most confident about that one (I think I made
like one mistake on the mock extended level test). Then it's only the spoken Polish test on
the 12th, the spoken English test on the 18th, and I should be done. As in, done with
secondary education. One of my teachers even said “from now on, all the learning you'll be
doing, is for pleasure” :) Well, if I choose an interesting major, that shouldn't be far
off from true, I hope.

I realize this update was more focused on what's happening in my life, than my language
studies, but they affect each other mutually, so...

Are we there yet?

If all goes well, I should surpass 3k characters around the 8th, so I thought about
calculating some statistics. I'd like to see what text coverage 3k characters allow for.
And then do the same once I get past 4k, to compare the level. There's been some debate
recently regarding the estimation of one's lexicon (of course, I'm aware of the difference
between words and characters). As often is the case, it quickly turned to “why even do so
in the first place” instead. Well, for me, as I've probably mentioned on a number of
occasions, learning can be tiring. And being able to know “I'm approximately 60% of the way
there,” even when not completely accurate, is incomparably more motivating than “not yet
there.” Kinda like in this saying I've found yesterday, while looking for example words for
my character deck: “學海無涯.”

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 05 May 2015 at 8:07pm

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4109 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 132 of 144
09 May 2015 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Writing Chinese Characters: 3000

Still probably not enough. But despite wanting to get to 4k by my birthday, I think I'll just
try to finally get to memorizing the lists of characters for each syllable, as I mentioned
recently. Inspired by reading Lorinth's log, I'm eager to try transcribing, and I think these
lists could help (or rather, make it possible). At the same time, I'd like the reviews to drop
down a bit (404 today).

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4109 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 133 of 144
15 May 2015 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
A little tip on how to look up characters found during reading, without breaking the flow
(much).

0.Preparation: Prepare a memory palace (and loci? Or is it the same thing?).

1.Random Encounter: When you find a new/unfamiliar character, memorize its parts,
while assigning them to the character's locus(?).
2.After reading: Once you're done reading, pick up a device with a Chinese
Handwriting Recognition function (it's easier than looking them up by radicals...), create
a new Anki card, and handwrite all the characters on the front field. Write something
original in the back field, so that it'll be easier to find.
3.Perusal: When you're back in front of the machine you add cards on, find the card,
and look up all the characters on it, creating or editing cards when necessary. You can
delete the group card afterwards.

Seems to work rather well. I just need to make more connections when memorizing, and add
them immediately after reading (today I wrote them down an hour or two after reading, and
remembered only 5 out of 7-8 characters).

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4944 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 134 of 144
15 May 2015 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
I just got a hold of the OCR with rikai style dictionary kanjitomo and my new plan is to do all of my reading on
the computer ;). But if you can't do that, why not just circle it in pencil and then add it later? Or use a
dictionary on your phone that saves wordlists. Btw, kanjitomo added Chinese support I think. I haven't tried it
of course, I just read it on the website.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4109 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 135 of 144
15 May 2015 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for popping by.
I always have problems finding something interesting to read. I'm currently reading 獵魔士
(The Witcher), and I couldn't find any free versions on the internet (nor could my old Chinese
penpal. Haven't heard from her in a while...). My reading is already quite slow as it is,
that's why I'm trying to think up of something that wouldn't break the flow. Using a pencil
sounds quick and efficient, but I just don't like writing on my books, 仕方ない癖なんです^^

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4944 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 136 of 144
16 May 2015 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Haha then chopping it up and scanning it would probably not be a good option. I'm planning on doing that
with some of my books now that I have this great OCR dictionary thing.

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version