Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 97 of 128
01 October 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Cara, onde que você me viu falar do Méthode 90? Aqui mesmo ou em outra comunidade? Fiquei curioso.

I'll continue to write in English (sort of) if you don't mind.

I'm almost sure that I've read about Méthode 90 for the first time here. Anyway, it has been here that I've read lots of good opinions about it, among them your opinion.

As a matter of fact, besides my beginning studies in Mandarin, I continue to read in German everyday. However, at this early stage, I'm really focusing on Mandarin, and my foremost interest is to learn the characters. As you said, I'm doing each lesson very carefully, completing every exercise, SRSing every character, studying the grammar topics from Méthode 90 in other books etc.

Besides Méthode 90, I'm sure that graded readers will be very helpful. I'm slowly reading "Susan you mafan", and there are already more than ten other similar books to be read here.

About an Assimil-like second active wave for Méthode 90, it isn't still clear whether I'll do it or not. However, dictation exercises are certainly going to be more and more included in my routine.
1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 98 of 128
07 October 2013 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
After two weeks at a slower pace and four days of very few study hours, due to family gatherings, it's however very nice to realize that reading "Susan you mafan" is getting easier.

I've started to use Readlang (see also this thread) to read German pages about Chinese history. This is something that I can do in small bursts, when almost anything else would be possible, due to, let's face it, my son :-))

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 99 of 128
09 October 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
It seems the right time to restart studying "Basic Spoken Chinese". I hope that most of the words I'm going to listen will have been already on Méthode 90 lessons. My main goal is to work on the drills. This is something that I can do in small steps, whenever possible and even among doing other things.

To test it, I've listened to Unit 4 part 1 (I was on Unit 2 part 3 when stopped to concentrate on Méthode 90) and could understand almost everything on the natural pace spoken dialog after just listening once to the build up section, all Mandarin, no English. Thank you, Méthode 90!!

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 100 of 128
13 October 2013 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
A new addition to my bookshelf that is becoming more and more useful, and not only to help me read "Susan you mafan", is "Chinese Character Fast Finder". It really makes finding a character, about which you need to know nothing except its shape, much faster.

Of course, Pleco is always by my side, but searching in this book is much easier and faster, hands down.

I haven't had much extra time lately, and it makes coming back to "Basic Spoken Chines" even more necessary, to let me have something else to do when listening and repeating is the sole possible study activity.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 101 of 128
14 October 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Could you explain briefly how does the search work in that book? I want to know if it is
worth it.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 102 of 128
15 October 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
If you know "Learning Chinese Characters" it's the same method used in the 'fast finder index', but "Chinese Characters Fast Finder" contains 3.200 characters, instead of 800 as in the LCC.

If you don't, you can use the 'search inside this book' feature from Amazon.com from this link.

Edited by Flarioca on 15 October 2013 at 12:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5676 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 103 of 128
17 October 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 30 from Méthode 90 is almost finished, which means, almost 1/3 of this course.

Of course, there are still the dictations to be done and a possible "Assimil-like second wave". I'm not sure at this point about really doing it or moving on to a more advanced course.

I'm also almost finishing to read "Susan you mafan" and my pace has increased a lot, not only because of the help from "Fast Finder". After finishing this, I'll immediately start to read "Anna mei banfa".

However, I'm really hoping to start reading soon "The Lady in the Painting", which is more like a course than a book, which makes it even more interesting.

It also seems that a thorough study of "Basic Patterns of Chinese Grammar" would be a great activity ... if only I had enough time ...

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 104 of 128
17 October 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Are you L-R-ing those books or just reading them? Besides, how did you get them?

This discussion contains 128 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version